Pixelbook with Pen?

Discussion in 'Google' started by jhoff80, Sep 20, 2017.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

So sad that Google went with the AES digitizer, because if they went the EMR route, this might well be a digital artist's dream tablet, which also happens to be the finest piece of laptop computer hardware yet created. As it is, though, you can get used to the inferior keyboard (and lack of backlighting) of the Chromebook Pro and otherwise have a device costing 1/2 what the PB costs with perfectly usable "computer" thrown in along with a lovely 3:2 2400X1600, 400 nit, 90% sRGB and EMR active digitizer with, in my experience, zero latency (except when using apps that make server calls, such as One Note, and others that may not yet be optimized for Android.

Hope it helps. As it is, I'm still torn. I do use the CB for a lot of typing and for that reason alone I may be going back to the Pixelbook. It's hard to go back to Windows for the 85% of things I now do on a CB because the latter is blazing fast, requires zero maintenance and suffers no delays, freezes or crashes from malware, anti-malware software or just plain BSOD/crashes because - it's Windows! Personally, my other choice would be to pickup a little-used Pixel 2, Google's 2015 chromebook that is actually a better piece of hardware than the Pixelbook, but it doesn't have an active digitizer. Since I already own a Surface Pro 3 and Thinkpd Yoga I can do my note taking and other Windows-only tasks on those. Anyway, I'm talked out on the subject, but feel free to ask questions.

WillAdams likes this.
  2. violajack

violajack Scribbler - Standard Member

I just wanted to add my 2 cents as my chromebook plus is becoming my go-to machine. One of the main reasons I reach for it first is that it charges via USB C and can charge in the same giant docking station all of my tablets are charging in down in the kitchen. I grab it in the morning with my coffee and it sits out all day on my dining table while I do housework and play with kids in between emails and other worky type stuff. I close the lid and walk away, and come back, open up, and it's instantly right back up and going.

Between chrome and android apps (which actually do better on the plus's arm processor) I can do 95% of what I need, especially since Microsoft finally re-released their Android office apps to the chromebooks. Now, I'm not an artist and most of what I need a digitizer for is One Note and sheet music annotation, and EMR is far and away the best for that. I'm consistently disappointed with various Surface's writing experience compared to the EMR machines I have. I haven't had an AES machine to compare though.

If SmartMusic would offer a sensible personal level plan for the browser based version, I'd be at nearly 100%. The last thing to do would be to find a way to let go of my digital hoard and live with less hard drive space.

There is still the issue that I crash the Android subsystem on occasion, but it's technically still in beta (as is pretty much everything Google does) so I suppose I can't really complain when I open a billion giant android apps and it eventually all comes crashing down.

3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

I've grown tired of Windows updates creating havoc with Bluetooth drivers, sound output, multiple monitors distribution and whatnot. Hence, I've been thinking a lot about Linux and Chromebooks.
    But Chrome doesn't support multiple monitors, does it? And there isn't any 2-in-1 devices yet, are there? Not even a simple Chrome tablet exists, does it? Android yes, but Chrome?
    And with Linux I always have this creeping sensation that I have to go back to a command line if I want to have control.
    I'm just to exhausted from correcting all the weirdness in Windows to research the alternatives, maybe that is what Microsoft means by being a services company?

4. Mr. Boosh

Mr. Boosh Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yes, Chromebooks absolutely do support multiple displays. Right now I have a USB 3.0 docking station that I use with my Vaio Z Canvas. It's completely plug and play with my Chromebook Pixel LS (2015), fires up immediately on my 2 x 1080p displays. A USB-C docking station would work for power delivery and display output as well.

This is my favorite laptop I've ever owned at this point. ChromeOS is extremely useful, and is more than what most people need from a daily computer. Hell, the only things that keep me on Windows are my Adobe programs, vinyl cutting software, and OneNote for all my academic stuff. Otherwise, I'd switch over to ChromeOS full-time. The Microsoft Word Android app works just fine connected to my university Office365 account. If the OneNote Android app was more full-fledged and allowed PDF importing, I would switch over to using a Chromebook in class and just having a Windows desktop at home.

I'm already using my Chromebook ~80% of the time.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  5. Kumabjorn

What about DisplayPort connections? Things like that makes me worried. Today I have two DP connected 2560 x 1440 and one 1080 on USB. That is a lot of of displays to be running, four of them if you include the SP3.

6. Mr. Boosh

https://www.amazon.com/SIIG-USB-C-Video-Docking-Station/dp/B074ZJ143Q

Or use another docking station and switch to HDMI on the monitors, etc.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  7. Kumabjorn

Nice one, yeah, that should solve most of my doubts. Much worse is that Japan hasn't shown any interest in Chromebooks. Haven't seen a single one in the wild. And Google only sells from their own shop and the shop in Japan doesn't sell Chromebook Pixel 2.

8. Mr. Boosh

The Chromebook Pixel 2 is discontinued since last year, I believe, and not sold through the Google store anymore like you said. Google supports Chromebooks for a minimum of 5 years, so I should be good with this machine for 2+ more years of OS updates.

That would be the only reason I would say not to purchase this machine, other than not having any support if it were to break. I see there are some aftermarket batteries on eBay (don't know if I trust them), so I can always replace that if I really want (88% battery health on mine).

Otherwise, I highly suggest this machine. It is in some ways better than the Pixelbook, IMO. I find it still to be the classier looking computer, and at least half the price.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
  9. Mr. Boosh

Triple monitor with my Chromebook Pixel LS through the Plugable USB 3.0 Docking Station. Laptop screen has Inbox and Gmail Android apps on top of each other (left side), and Hangouts chrome web extension (right side) for texts and calls.

Top left display has YouTube Android app open for the moment. Top right display has Chrome web browser.

[​IMG]

It's a little sluggish on some Android apps on the extended displays, I bet it just has to do with DisplayLink USB drivers not being as optimized for ChromeOS. If I has a USB-C docking station I think it would be just as smooth.

Kumabjorn likes this.
  10. Kumabjorn

Sweet, if you just had a box of Tic-Tacs there you know what your reward would be. :rolleyes::oops:
    Just looked at the Chromebook Pixel. Not that big in size, surprised me. But Googles Japan Shop doesn't offer it. And I wouldn't want it with a Japanese keyboard anyway.