Pixelbook with Pen?

Discussion in 'Google' started by jhoff80, Sep 20, 2017.

1. jhoff80

jhoff80 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I'm surprised nobody is yet discussing the leak of the upcoming Google Pixelbook, which will have:

http://www.droid-life.com/2017/09/19/google-pixelbook-chromebook-price-release-date/

Not technically Android, but this seems like the best area to post about it... especially since Chromebooks can run Android apps.

WillAdams likes this.
  2. jhoff80

Newly announced. 2 USB-C ports. Runs Android apps of course. A pen built with Wacom:

[​IMG]

$999 for an i5. Pen is $99 separate purchase.

JoeS likes this.
  3. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It looks to be Wacom AES. If this really is AES, there is a good chance that other, more affordable(read $25-50) pens will work on this. Unless, this turns out to be proprietary AES panel, like some of those Lenovo devices.

4. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Currently AES doesn’t have tilt sensitivity in other laptops (Lenovo ones), so either this is a new AES development/ iteration or a different technology.

5. jhoff80

A little bit more from Ars Technica (who also claims it's AES): https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/201...k-brings-back-the-1000-chrome-os-halo-device/

6. bloodycape

bloodycape Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It uses quad a batteries so it's probably AES, unless they came up with something different that also uses AAAA batteries.

7. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Awfully expensive device on which to run Android apps.

JoeS likes this.
  8. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

What kind of batteries does N-trig use? I mostly thought that the pen reminded me very much of the surface pen. But I honestly haven’t looked up the tech info on it yet. I also was wondering if it’s just runs android apps? I sort of assumed, for the price, that it somehow was a dual boot machine or something of that sort…

9. surfaceproartist

surfaceproartist Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

The pen reminds me a lot of the Huawei Matepen.

10. jhoff80

It's Chrome OS. So the main functionality of it is running Chrome and Chrome apps (and a couple system things like a file explorer, media player, etc.). However, recently Google added support for Android apps to Chrome OS. And Android N or O, I forget which, allows for freely resizable windows on Chrome OS. (Previous to that, it's a few designated phone-sized layouts).

Personally, I don't think Chrome OS makes too much sense for high-end devices like this.... but I feel like a lot of people would be covered by a desktop class web browser alongside Android apps (such as Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Lightroom, etc.) where it makes a lot of sense on the low-end (and to me, that's what Microsoft desperately needs 10S to succeed against otherwise they lose their foothold).

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017