Pixel Slate with Chrome OS

Discussion in 'Google' started by yodamiked, Oct 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Thanks again for the input. Yes, I guess I should have been more specific in my requirements/wants.

This is a corporate purchase, but I'm also of the "eat your own dog food" school of thought with devices that I'm working with so for the duration of the project ~60 days, I intend for it to be be my primary machine. (I'll still have my Surface Book 2 15 at the office for the CAD stuff)

Storage is not an issue and the intended application for the project, even 32Gb will be overkill. Same goes for the processor as the target device is mid-lower range with probably an m-series intel processor (which is why I'm looking at the HP).

The absolute hard requirements are a touch screen and the ability to run Android apps which many but not all of the current chrome books can do. So some of the other is driven by personal needs/wants since will be using whatever I choose extensively.

I haven't any experience with Brydge products, but I"ll check them out. Any idea why one of my engineers might have turned up his nose at Brydge. It was not directly related to his project and I didn't delve in to why

2. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Re: Brydge, they are extremely well made, all aluminum keyboards with good key travel and backlighting and decent trackpads. The earlier ones made for Surface and iPad devices were a bit on the heavy side - though the new Pixel Slate version is quite thin and light - and there were reports that they caused cracks on the tablet screens due to the way they clamp on to the screen, but a study showed a tiny % of screens were damaged and they cause was using the wrong keyboard/screen combo (using SP4 keyboard on an SP3) due to the latter being thinner and having thinner clamps). A major advantage of using a Google model is that features are often made available first on those, as is the case in the Pixel phone models vis-a-vis Android features.

3. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

The one thing that is kind of a turn off with Brydge is that the clamps are fixed instead of sliding. They don't utilize the Pogo pins but use Bluetooth. Sliding clamps would make it possible to switch between landscape and portrait mode.

Sent from my GT-N5110 using Tapatalk

desertlap likes this.
  4. desertlap

I'm sure that's the reason and is something I'll have to take in to consideration too.
    Thanks a bunch!

5. lovelaptops

You are, of course, spot-on. There are some disadvantages to being a bluetooth keyboard, though I don't think the portrait use of the tablet is too much of a problem because you can easily slide it out and just hold the tablet by itself however is most convenient. Therein lies the advantage of that form factor and to offset the disadvantages of bluetooth operation is the fact that the Brydge keyboards are very well made and solid so you can use the tablet like a clamshell laptop, which is not possible with the keyboard that Google supplies (and charges $200 for) for the Slate nor, for that matter, with the Surface Pro Type Cover. After owning a Surface Pro 3 for several years I lucked into a Brydge keyboard open box for, like, $25, and I used that SP3 for another 2 years using the Brydge as the only keyboard for reasons stated. Because it is such a low bandwidth connection there is never a problem with the BT fading and the charged keyboard lasts for several months. Tradeoffs, always.

See comments, above.

6. Kumabjorn

You miss the point.
    For someone who writes a lot, portrait mode is preferred since it provide better visual feedback of the text.
    Using it as a slate is a different paradigm.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

7. lovelaptops

Pray tell, what does that have to do with the keyboard? I know of no device that enables you to position the keyboard at the long end of a tablet/screen. Are you referring to writing with a pen or typing? How/where would you "slide clips" on any kind of keyboard, or reposition the keyboard even if it had pogo pins?

8. Kumabjorn

If you could slide the clips towards the middle you could fix the slate there in portrait mode. Obviously there has to be some fixation point for them.

Sent from my SC-01F using Tapatalk

Last edited: Dec 30, 2018
  9. desertlap

I do a LOT of text editing, so much so that I have one of the displays in my office turned on it's side to do just that.
    I also had an older iPad with keyboard case (I think Zagg made it) and while it had significant limitations it supported a portrait orientation while still allowing typing. It was my single favorite feature and I used the keyboard until it died. Plus Pages on IOS even has a quasi optimized portrait mode.

So something that supported that would be very nice to have but just that, not essential.

10. desertlap

@lovelaptops , One more question if you don't mind, how is the pen experience on the pixelbook? I'm assuming it would be similar on the slate.
    And FWIW the s-pen on the Samsung is one of it's better features.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.