Pixel Slate with Chrome OS

Discussion in 'Google' started by yodamiked, Oct 9, 2018.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Google apparently labors under the misconception that it's brand has panache; thus they think they can put out a device that is in most respects the same or worse as it's predecessor (the Pixelbook) at a price point that's way higher, when you pay $200 for the crappy keyboard and get an equivalent configuration (Pixelbook has been marked down to $750 for 6 mos. now). I'm a fan of ChromeOS and find it a great #2 productivity/video-watching laptop (#1 in that I use it far more than my Surface Book, but #2 in that it's missing capabilities that only Windows machines have), but the Google's arrogant attitude about the (very) few fails on the Pixelbook and now this incredibly stupd release that adds nothing of value to anyone (there are convertible Chromebooks with EMR pens, btw) demonstrate that they are not and probably will never be a premium hardware manufacturer. I don't even see how this does anything but crapify their brand. Couldn't happen to a more deserving corporation - having their brand sullied, that is. And the Pixelbook is, by very far, the finest piece of tech hardware I have ever owned, so I'm not just being a hater. (It's not Apple we're talking about, after all!)

Kumabjorn likes this.
  2. Mhotep

Mhotep Scribbler - Standard Member

If you mind me asking, which Pixelbook do you own? Also what do you use it for, and have you run run in to any problems. I’m trying to decide if the Pixelbook or the Slate will be right for me.

3. lovelaptops

Base model - 8GB/128GB/i5y. Use it primarily for email, web-related work, videos (YouTube, Netflix, etc), variety of Android apps - particularly MS Office. No problems of any kind with hardware - it feels faster and more powerful than far higher specd Windows computers I own for the things I do on it - eg, haven't found the number of Chrome tabs that will slow it down at all!) due to the efficiency of Chrome OS and the quality of this product. The biggest downside other than inability to run certain Windows-only programs is that Android versions of MS Office are fairly dumbed-down, especially One Note. Overall, my biggest disappointment is with the pen (not bad, just not nearly as good as Wacom EMR, as in Samsung Chromebook Pro, and One Note app (no fault of the PB, MS severely dumbs down the Android version of One Note, more so than other MS Office programs), sadly, one of my prime motivations for picking up this product. But I was so blown away with every other aspect of this near-perfect device and Microsoft is in the process of all but phasing out One Note desktop anyway. You can buy a mint condition Pixelbook like mine for around $600, and there is no better option if you're looking to do the kinds of things I'm using mine for. New at $750 these days is a fine value to compared to alternatives. If you plan to run it with Linux and use heavy duty applications software, you may want to consider the top model, with an i7, 16GB RAM and 512GB PCIE.NVME SSD. Nothing I do presently would see an ounce of improvement with that configuration, but if you wanted to do video editing or CAD work in Linux it would make a difference. I'm told by those who do photo editing (I rarely do) that there are some good Android apps that run well on the PB if that's important to you. Oh, battery life is ok, not great. It varies tremendously with how I use it and how bright the screen is, but ranges from 5-9 hours, averaging 7.5. It recharges amazingly quickly, generally adds 50-75% in 30 mins.

djas and WillAdams like this.
  4. doobiedoobiedum

doobiedoobiedum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I watched all the way through just to see how bad this thing is.

First reviews suggest a highly overpriced mess of a slate. The jitter in the video is the worst I've ever seen in a modern tablet with a digitiser in it.

Shockingly bad, shockingly expensive.

5. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member

So has anyone here on the forum actually used/purchased one of these?
    Reason I ask is that I'm going to be working on several chrome OS projects in the coming year and will need a chromebook. I've been borrowing a Samsung Chromebook plus, but will have to give it back soon.

So my top 3 options are in no particular order, Pixel Slate, Samsung Chromebook Plus or HP Chromebook x2.

Any opinions are welcome, I like but don't love the Chromebook plus , it's primary pro is it's something I already know. At least initially I thought I'd want the pixel slate because of the somewhat Surface Pro like design.

6. Kumabjorn

Kumabjorn ***** is back Senior Member

If you get the Slate, make sure you stay away from the low end model. People are reporting problems with lag.

desertlap likes this.
  7. lovelaptops

I strongly recommend the Pixelbook. See my earlier comments. Feel free to ask any others. The PB runs circles around the Pixel Slate and all other chromeos devices on the market. The only alternative worth considering is the Acer Spin 13. It has a Wacom EMR stylus in-silo. It also has 8th gen U cpus, far more powerful than the 7th gen Y cpus of the Pixelbook, though the latter is plenty powerful for everything I've ever done on a chromebook. You should wait for a $250 off sale on the PB (been in place for more than 50% of the time over the past 6 mos, but goes away temporarily at times - or buy a used one on Swappa, which you can find for as little as $600 easily for the base model, which has 8GB RAM, 128GB EMMC storage and everything else is standard on all PBs. You can get a Spin 13 for about $800 for the i5-8250 cpu and 128GB eMMC storage (only the PB top model - i7Y, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVME/PCIE SSD has true SSD storage. That would be overkill for most standard chromeos apps, but as dual-booting Windows is expected in early 2019, if you found a bargain on a used top-end PB it could be worth considering, as those specs on a Windows convertible in pretty much the finest design/mfg quality laptop ever made are surely worth $1,200, and you might even be able to find a used one for less.

desertlap likes this.
  8. desertlap

desertlap Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks, I think if I get either google device, it will be the i5 processor configuration.

Have you held the Spin? Reason I ask is that two pet peeves of mine are the mushy feel of the keyboard when used as a tablet (something that the pixel book and most of the yogas have) and sharp/hard edges which was the case with an earlier Spin 11 I briefly played with.

9. lovelaptops

Sorry, but I have never seen/held one. I do know what you mean about the wiggly keys. I've always found Yogas to be the least objectionable, as the keyboard surround rises to be level with the keys and the keys lock in stationary. I'm pretty sure the Spin 13 does not have that feature, however.

10. lovelaptops

@desertlap , I just re-read your post more carefully and will amend my initial response.

1) if this is a corporate project and you're not budget constrained, the i5 pixel slate may be a good idea - if you get it with the Brydge keyboard. It's gotten excellent reviews and it allows you to pull the keyboard off and use the tablet as a tablet alone, so no issues of sharp edges or loose keys in tablet mode.
    2) If you do get a Samsung model, I would recommend the Chromebook Pro over the Plus. The form factors and stylus are similar, but the Pro has Intel Core cpus, that are far stronger than the Celeron in the Plus. The Pro also has better screen and has backlit keyboard.
    3) I believe the X2 maxes out at 32GB eMMC storage, vs.64 - 128+ for the others.