Pixel Slate with Chrome OS

Discussion in 'Google' started by yodamiked, Oct 9, 2018.

1. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Google apparently labors under the misconception that it's brand has panache; thus they think they can put out a device that is in most respects the same or worse as it's predecessor (the Pixelbook) at a price point that's way higher, when you pay $200 for the crappy keyboard and get an equivalent configuration (Pixelbook has been marked down to $750 for 6 mos. now). I'm a fan of ChromeOS and find it a great #2 productivity/video-watching laptop (#1 in that I use it far more than my Surface Book, but #2 in that it's missing capabilities that only Windows machines have), but the Google's arrogant attitude about the (very) few fails on the Pixelbook and now this incredibly stupd release that adds nothing of value to anyone (there are convertible Chromebooks with EMR pens, btw) demonstrate that they are not and probably will never be a premium hardware manufacturer. I don't even see how this does anything but crapify their brand. Couldn't happen to a more deserving corporation - having their brand sullied, that is. And the Pixelbook is, by very far, the finest piece of tech hardware I have ever owned, so I'm not just being a hater. (It's not Apple we're talking about, after all!)

Kumabjorn likes this.
  2. Mhotep

Mhotep Scribbler - Standard Member

If you mind me asking, which Pixelbook do you own? Also what do you use it for, and have you run run in to any problems. I’m trying to decide if the Pixelbook or the Slate will be right for me.

3. lovelaptops

lovelaptops My friends call me Jeff Senior Member

Base model - 8GB/128GB/i5y. Use it primarily for email, web-related work, videos (YouTube, Netflix, etc), variety of Android apps - particularly MS Office. No problems of any kind with hardware - it feels faster and more powerful than far higher specd Windows computers I own for the things I do on it - eg, haven't found the number of Chrome tabs that will slow it down at all!) due to the efficiency of Chrome OS and the quality of this product. The biggest downside other than inability to run certain Windows-only programs is that Android versions of MS Office are fairly dumbed-down, especially One Note. Overall, my biggest disappointment is with the pen (not bad, just not nearly as good as Wacom EMR, as in Samsung Chromebook Pro, and One Note app (no fault of the PB, MS severely dumbs down the Android version of One Note, more so than other MS Office programs), sadly, one of my prime motivations for picking up this product. But I was so blown away with every other aspect of this near-perfect device and Microsoft is in the process of all but phasing out One Note desktop anyway. You can buy a mint condition Pixelbook like mine for around $600, and there is no better option if you're looking to do the kinds of things I'm using mine for. New at $750 these days is a fine value to compared to alternatives. If you plan to run it with Linux and use heavy duty applications software, you may want to consider the top model, with an i7, 16GB RAM and 512GB PCIE.NVME SSD. Nothing I do presently would see an ounce of improvement with that configuration, but if you wanted to do video editing or CAD work in Linux it would make a difference. I'm told by those who do photo editing (I rarely do) that there are some good Android apps that run well on the PB if that's important to you. Oh, battery life is ok, not great. It varies tremendously with how I use it and how bright the screen is, but ranges from 5-9 hours, averaging 7.5. It recharges amazingly quickly, generally adds 50-75% in 30 mins.

WillAdams likes this.