Photoshop toolbar

Discussion in 'Artists' started by lblb, Feb 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T-ravisty

T-ravisty Scribbler - Standard Member

So I found this.

Some of you may find it handy, but I thought it might serve as some inspiration for some of you developers out there.
    Just to see what others are working on, who knows, we may be able to collaborate with the creator?

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Yeah, that ones pretty cool. I ended up not digging all the painting tools, but I liked the layout idea. I've seen a few others too. Here's a link to a page full of setups and brushes by Alex Dukal-- a comics artist in South America. Some cool stuff in it, and similar to what you posted.

I also found this one- GestureWorks Gameplay. They're looking for beta testers. Basically, it's a Windows 8 customizable multitouch button array that they're making for gamers. Seems like a really intersting idea for artists who can't get Artdock to work, or who want to use it in conjunction with something like AHK. !!

[video=youtube;Trr9ajcX4e4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Trr9ajcX4e4[/video]

I'm signed up to be a beta tester myself, and am going to see what it can do when my x230t comes in. Beta testing is free. I don't think it can do all the amazing things AHK can do (delayed key presses, multiple key presses, etc) but it looks cool enough to try out! :)

Also, Luc, using the toolbar again I do have to agree with a user who posted in the Ar forums- it's a bit of a bear that the Hover Icons are not located in an similar location for all of the Icons. I know this was a decision we made at one point on purpose, but it makes setting things up very difficult. Lining them up on the side or top in a row is near impossible. Roy Bluementhal (the user who posted about this) suggested the idea that the icon could actually get "placed" over the UI by the user as he activated the Hover Icon. While that is an interesting idea to me, it's way less important than a number of other improvements we've been working on. HOWEVER, I do think it would be worth altering the code to get the icon to show up at a consistent location relative to all the AR Pods-- such as top center and down some small amount. In truth, it seems the location is consistent between all the Pods except for the Layers Pod (presumably because that one gets longer as the Layers grow). If that's the case, then that's something I'd definitely change on the Layer Hover Icon code. Currently, it's a small but annoying bug.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. T-ravisty

T-ravisty Scribbler - Standard Member

I like the idea of the GestureWorks Gameplay, could be interesting.

Yeah, I wasn't too keen on the toolbar I linked, I think I'm just too used to PS's original tools without much need for things like that...

4. FlameStream

FlameStream Pen Pal - Newbie

Sadly, it seems that GestureWorks Gameplay currenlty only works on canvas rendered with DirectX or OpenGL, which doesn't make it very appealing to us.

5. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

Off topic, but some of the industries best free digital brushes I have found: Digital Art Inspiration and Tutorials – The Round Tablet » Photoshop brushes of the pros for free, skills still required

Also my favourite set of all (free and legal of course) : Brushes by jamajurabaev on deviantART

6. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

These are wonderful! Thanks for sharing these resources stoneseeker. I actually think I'd like to start a thread about tablet pc artists using PS. Share some resources, setups, workflow tips, etc. I've been trying to explore it and have had a hard time getting into the interface.

7. Bitcoon

Bitcoon Pen Pal - Newbie

So I just upgraded to Windows 8.1 on my ATIV Tab 7 and suddenly the toolbar isn't working. Has anyone else been having this issue? The buttons respond just like always, but it won't get any response out of SAI.

8. Bitcoon

Bitcoon Pen Pal - Newbie

Sorry for the double post but I don't seem to be able to edit my last post to add more information...
    So this mystery is only deepening the further I go. I noticed that SAI is now bringing up an admin prompt every time I try to open it, even though it never used to, and it's not set to run as admin.
    It seems the update messed up a lot of various settings, including getting rid of Avast and starting Windows Defender for me, but this is the worst. Both this and the other AHK toolbar won't work with SAI now, so I'm pretty much helpless until I can get something working.
    I updated AHK, deleted the executable and re-compiled a new one to see if that would fix things... it made the toolbar scale in a really ugly way, and it still has the same problem of not working. I can't for the life of me figure out why Sai is causing a 'this program wants to make changes to your computer' prompt but I think that might be the issue. Something about SAI seems to have changed.
    Now... here's the really strange part, though. Because of that, I figured that it simply wasn't recognizing SAI anymore due to some little change, but in fact it still is. When I hit the corner button to switch from Photoshop to SAI, it brings me back to SAI just like it should. I don't have Photoshop to test whether it recognizes that program, too.

I'm not sure how to mess with the .AHK file but I'd like to see if it's possible to have it stop trying to recognize the program and just respond with virtual key-presses. Might there be a way to modify the code to simplify it like that?

9. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Hi Bitcoon,

I don't have Win 8.1 installed so I may not be able to help you much but at first sight your problems seem to be rather straightforward.

For some reason, it seems that after your update Windows considers that SAI needs to run under Admin privileges. This is definitely not related to the toolbar or AHK, this is Windows being Windows.

a) If you right click on the SAI.exe program file and set it to run as Admin, do your problems go away?

b) If the toolbar still doesn't work after you've done that, try the following (you seem to know how to modify the script so I'll keep the instructions simple but don't hesitate to tell me if you need more info):

1) Add the following AT THE VERY TOP of the .ahk file for the toolbar:

Code:
    If not A_IsAdmin
    	{
        Run *RunAs "%A_ScriptFullPath%"
        ExitApp
    	}

2) Save the file then launch the toolbar by launching the .ahk file. Does it work now?

3) If it doesn't work, compile the .ahk file that you just modified in 2) and launch this new .exe toolbar. Does it behave correctly now?​

c) For the size of the toolbar: Is it possible that you are using a Windows magnification different from 100% (maybe 125% or 150%)? The most recent versions of AHK automatically scale a Gui like these toolbars when the Windows magnification is increased so this may be why it's showing up bigger in your case. If this is what's going on, maybe try adding the following somewhere near the top of the script:

Code:
    Gui, -dpiscale

Do any of these suggestions help? If they don't work, then maybe we can try addressing "if it's possible to have it stop trying to recognize the program and just respond with virtual key-presses".

Bitcoon likes this.
  10. Bitcoon

Bitcoon Pen Pal - Newbie

Ah, thank the Nine, it's working again! I had tried the Admin thing, but those two bits of code fixed both my problems and now it's working just fine again! Thanks a ton~
    It would have taken me so long to figure that out on my own. I'm decent in a number of different scripting/programming languages, but none of them run off so little syntax so AHK is pretty tough for me to read and pick up on!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.