Photoshop toolbar

Discussion in 'Artists' started by lblb, Feb 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Re: buttons for Hide Layer and a smoother zooming experience-- nope. I heard back and the answer is no good on that one. So that's that.

For zoom though, there is Ctrl + = and Ctrl + -.... I'm not sure if that's what you're already using.

Re: Rbutton changed to LButton on Line 135. I don't really understand why it matters, but yes, it solved the problem.... sorta. :p

If I change it as you suggested, the Hover Zoom button now works perfectly for Resizing, just like the Drop/Color Picker tool does-- I push the button, apply pen tip to screen, and resize to my heart's content, with the sizing circle always visible. Lift it, and the I can go directly to drawing and painting again. Works wonderfully.

HOWEVER, the Hover Zoom button no longer works as a zoom button very well after I change the code. Now, it sort of locks up after a second. Perhaps you were planning on breaking one function to figure out if you could make the other work? Not sure, but either way, that's the story so far. Of course, it would be nice to have both buttons work very well.... :)

Will have to get to the timing of the repeat function on Undo tomorrow sometime. Pooped out for now!

2. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Just passing by very quickly... glad to see that the tool resize now works. Yes, I did mean to break the shift hover by doing that, just wanted to see if that code change would work for tool resize (i.e. I wasn't expecting that after the change the button would still work for zoom). More later, gotta go!

3. Steve B

Oh, and I just sat down and popped the 70 ms info into the lines you suggested. Very smooth, and a very reasonable rate for everything. Works just as if I were touching a hardware button and letting the computer run the undo's. Very cool. Zoom is also much smoother. A very simple but functionally better result.

Ciao.

4. lblb

So I think we've figured out everything for ArtRage, right? I'll try to prepare a preliminary version of the toolbar. Since the situation has changed since the last time you described your layout, can you tell me what layout you would like now?
    Do you want it by itself or maybe as a dual toolbar with Sai (like thatcomicsguy did for Sai and PS)? If so, can you tell me how you would like the Sai toolbar to be modified? Also, if we go with this dual toolbar, can you describe what you see the top row like? I would think that two rows of smaller buttons would maybe be necessary:
    top row: save, rollup/down, move (this way you can always use the Save button even if it's rolled up)
    second row: toggle Sai/ArtRage toolbars, toggle "layer" toolbar (for now, I see two buttons on this row but could be easily changed to three later on). If it's this dual toolbar, any preference as to what the starting layout should be?

For now, I can probably pretty easily have the "layer" toolbar be a hide/show extension of the main toolbar. Later I'll try to have it separated.

And later we'll start looking at your other programs.

5. lblb

Continuing my previous post:

Goddammit, I should be preparing documents for my students but this is too much fun...

I just received an answer from the Autohotkey forum and I can now have the buttons send different commands depending if you left- or right-click them. That could potentially save some space on your toolbar.

I am not yet able to combine all the functions (for example I still can't combine the automatic zoom in/out buttons (although no problem with the stepwise zoom in/out)) but I still have a lot of things to try.

For the moment, can you try version 4 below and see if you like this kind of function? Here are the changes:
    - If you right-click the move button, it serves as Save
    - If you right-click the rotate button, it sends Alt d
    - The size tools button can be used normally, but if you right-click it it should now be the hover zoom thing (it takes a bit of practice with the double right-click for this one but maybe you'll find it good for your needs?)

In trying out stuff to get this to work, I may have broken some of the other buttons so on this v.4 just focus on the three modified buttons above and see what you think.

Attached Files:

6. Steve B

Going out soon for date night, so have to keep it short.

I was testing this a bit earlier. I like the idea of combining multiple unused but related buttons-- Rotate and Original Angle are two functions that make a lot of sense to relate, functionally. So does the idea of Hover Zoom and Original %. But I'd sort of like this set up to let me work with the 1-button Lenovo pen that fits in the silo.

.... I'd like to think a bit about how I'd best like to use the program. I'm into flexibility and modularity, depending on the current setup. Do I have my 2-button Axiotron pen with me today, or not? That sort of question happens because I'm often out and about and not at home. Anyways, I doubt I'll be able to test this much over the next day or two. I'll try and draw something simple up to share. I feel like all the functions one might want in Artrage are now available. It's just understanding how best to build a key setup.

I really like the idea of extra rollout buttons. I like this idea for the Layers commands. And I was just thinking about it for Tool commands if I were without my 2-button Axiotron pen.

I think its Sai that has the most work ahead of it. And thinking about the possibility of using this in other programs. F11 while in Firefox, for example, is very nice.

Oh, one issue with the button that shrinks the key setup-- if I forget to shrink the AHK setup, and do so after I'm in something like Firefox, it then immediately takes me back to Artrage. That's a pain. I'm not sure what the best functionality would be though. ??? Of course, in a magic world, the AHK setup would magically know when I've switched programs, and would either go away if I didn't have a setup for that program currently (like Firefox or Word, right now), or it would pop up/change with the right buttons from the getgo. I'm also having problems with the bottom set of buttons getting chopped off for some reason-- those below the Shift and Alt keys.

7. lblb

Ok, I think I've made something of a breakthrough.

See this version:

PS_SAI_FF_1_0.zip

The toolbar is just thatcomicsguy's toolbar that I've modified to illustrate the idea. And the idea might be something like:

Why compromise with having one layout that can fit for both one-button and two button pens? Why not just have a layout for both? In fact, why not just have as many layouts as imaginable.

See the menu button at the top left. I think this could be a good way to go.

Note 1: I'm just trying to show the principle, so don't worry about the commands and programs that I put on there. It was just the easiest way to go.
    Note 2: In theory, we can add as many items as we want to the menu. Now I absolutely don't know if many items would slow it down, my wild guess is that it maybe perhaps hopefully won't...
    Note 3: If the Firefox buttons don't work, it might just be that we don't have the same version. Nothing a little Window Spy can't fix.

8. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Oooh! I like it!

-And just when I thought things couldn't get much better.

Very elegant.

And you know. . . I had another thought as to how to make the program more accessible to non-programmers. I've seen Javascript files which work like this: There's a main program which does all the grunt work, and then there's a second, very short user-adjustable script which would have variables called upon by the main program. The user-definable code would appear like:

19 ;Input the keyboard character sequence you want each button to send upon being pressed.
    20 ;Example: "1stButton_Left = ctrl c"
    22 1stRowButton_Left =
    23 1stRowButton_Right =
    24 2ndRowButton_Left =
    25 2ndRowButton_Right =
    28 ;Put in the file name you want to appear in the button slot.
    29 ;Image files must be 50x50 pixels. Put them in the png folder.
    30 ;Example "Image_for_1stRowButton_Left = undo.png"
    32 Image_for_1stRowButton_Left =
    33 Image_for_1stRowButton_Right =

etc.

I'm not sure if AutoHotKey can make calls to outside files for variables, but I'm sure something could be set up. Or, even better, perhaps it could be done as a very basic input window which is activated by its own button? They have stuff like that in elementary Javascript. And then, (huzzah!), it would really be a fully user-definable button bar.

Anyway, that's is just a thought.

9. Steve B

Ooooooh, that's a neat idea too. The script example you showed is much more understandable than the actual AHK script. I opened up the latest version of lblb's to change some things he was curious about, and it's anything but accessible. Yes, I could change the things he suggested, because he told me where to find them, and you provided the link to the text editor with line numbers, but the truth is that I just wouldn't have gone through the hassle normally. I'm sure it's doable, but it's clearly its own learning curve. Comparatively, the "script" you're suggesting here is very nice. Still a bit intimidating as there's no GUI, but much much better.

The idea of hitting a key and having it pull up a very simple script similar to this, or some such thing, is also really interesting and makes a lot of sense.

lblb- the menu button works very nice. Is it as super sweet as the AHK script just magically knowing what program I'm using? No. Is it a LOT LOT better than before? Yes. Much more functional and flexible. I really like this idea.

I feel like somehow the combination of these two things would be the perfect fit. Wouldn't be wonderful if a person who didn't really know AHK (like me!!!! :D) could "build" the button lay out they wanted, and have it apply to multiple programs, and then switch the AHK layout through a super-simple, super-accessible menu? And even have potentially multiple layouts per program, depending on the current needs-- say, color work versus line work? etc. That sounds very, very cool.

I was pondering a bit the various sort of options one could have for a more flexible button array in Artrage, and I've got something in mind. I'll try to draw it up, but the idea would be to have
    -the top row with 3 small buttons (Menu, Save, Move)
    -a second row with 3 small arrow buttons, each one doing something different-- say, left arrow brings up a 3rd vertical row of buttons with various Tool key shortcuts (for when I'm using only a 1-button pen), the middle arrow is the grand "roll it all up" arrow for any and all button arrays (like normal one right now), and the third arrow on the right would bring up the separate floating 6-button Layers panel at the bottom.

This would give one all the flexibility one would want in terms of panel usage in one program, all for the cost of one small extra row of arrows. You could even have the arrows pointing different ways to make it easier to remember which arrow opens which button array-- Left arrow points left when the vertical Tool buttons are open to the left of the Main Button Array, and points "inward" when that panel is closed; Right arrow points "out" when the Layers Panel is open, but points "in" when its not seen; and the Center Arrow is the only one that goes up and down, as it's the overriding control to roll up all the panels. Seemed small, functional, understandable, and easy to remember. Thoughts?

I'll try and draw something up and post it.

10. Steve B

Here's a simple mockup I did, showing the idea in action. I'd probably put some icons in place of the tool names, but this gets the idea across. And I figured most programs/users really need stuff like Pencil/ Pen/ Watercolor/ Brush/ Blend/ Eraser. That seemed to cover the basics.

edit- pic is now up as an attachment

With the addition of the layers panel on the bottom, the truth is that its barely bigger than the versions we've been playing with. I've removed a few buttons in Artrage that seemed redundant, and that opened up some space. I could see that programs such as Sai, for example, would need an additional button or two, since its can't drag to resize, for example. I think if you wanted something slightly more homogenous, I'd include the Zoom buttons, and figure it out from there. But this was mostly just to give you a sense of what I'd be using and where I'd put them relative to each other, etc.

As you/we get into refining this, here are the things I'd like to see become a reality-
    1) A toggle off ability on the lasso, so that after I've lassoed and transformed, and hit transform again to simultaneously toggle off and finish the change, I could then quickly tap lasso to remove the lasso tool and get me back to whatever tool I was using.
    2) There's some issue right now with the hide arrows. When I hide things, and then allow the panels to be full again, the bottom section of my buttons is being cut off and invisible. Is this happening to anyone else? I was using SteveB_Artrage_zoom4 to make the mockup, and was having problems with that.

Otherwise, this seems very nice so far!!

Attached Files: