Photoshop toolbar

Discussion in 'Artists' started by lblb, Feb 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

No problem there. It's important that we explore anything that looks like a bug as we are on the verge of sharing this.

By the way, just saw that your video thread on the ArtRage forum got "upgraded" to the "official" tutorial page. Congrats man, it's nice to see that all your efforts are recognized.

2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

Ok, sadly I'm still having some issues with this (I think). Yes, processor overload can cause this, but I'm still experiencing it "out of the blue" sometimes, IMO. And it only seems to be happening with the small UI in Artrage, and only with the main color picker in the bottom right. If you can look at it more, when you get the chance, it would be good to check. I was thinking about dl'ing a few of the older versions, and see if I could pinpoint what version it starts up for me in. That might help locate the change in code better..... ?? If it is that at all....?? This is partly why I'm curious about having this tested by others.

3. Steve B

Hey, I had a thought-- how hard is it to port the UI that we've got to other programs? For example, I (or others) might like to do this in Painter, say. I'd like similar pen-focused commands, etc. Let's pretend for now that the key commands are the same, or that it would be as easy as putting in a simple change from one key shortcut to another. Can a lot of the code be copied and re-applied? Or does it need to be completely re-written? I'm just trying to ponder how far we could apply the developed UI we've got, and to what other kinds of programs.

I know that's sort of a big, global question on all this, but it's been itching in the back of my mind, so I thought I'd ask. I've clearly had others suggest it in a roundabout way.

4. lblb

That's something that I've also been thinking about. It think the ArtRage and Sai toolbars that we have developed may be too program-specific at this point but we could eventually try to come up with a generic toolbar that can be used and/or modified to fit other programs. I'm getting more and more comfortable with the different strategies and concepts that can be used to add some "user-customizability" so this could be something that could become a future objective.

By the way, I'm almost done with the latest changes and hopefully I can upload something soon. The new school year begins tomorrow, so it's going to become more and more challenging to put some time on this. But hey, that hasn't stopped me in the past!
    For now, I just need to do a bit more testing, and to make it a ArtRage-only toolbar (which will be pretty simple because of all the recent changes we discussed) so that we can start to see what the end-product will look like.

5. Steve B

That's good news on both fronts! :)

If there's a way for you to basically set up an alternate toolbar that's exactly the same as the Artrage one, but just kicks in with Painter 11, for example, then I can just play with it and test it for a while to assess how much crosses over. I mean, on a certain level, once you get the toolbar to talk to the right program, the UI is just the UI right? It's just sending keystrokes, etc. If so, then it would seem like we could use a lot of the work that has gone into refining the UI, for instance, but plug in the program-specific shortcuts and let the toolbar talk to the new program through the same UI.

I have Painter 11, and so I'll look into that a tiny bit-- I haven't used it in about a year, and I'm unsure how it connects to keyboard shortcuts. I'll record that info down and compare it to Artrage. Perhaps we can go from there. I'm not interested in re-inventing the wheel, but if we could reach more users later on by tweaking the work we've already done, I know there's a market for Painter.

I'm excited to run the new Artrage setup and start sharing it with some testers. I've got some lined up that have already asked. Fun!

Any news, btw, on being able to make what we've done an .exe file? Or is that still not possible with the option of customization?

6. lblb

Going for an executable is still not possible (so they unfortunately will have to install AHK) and, even more unfortunately, I don't see that changing in the near future.

It may be challenging to use the ArtRage toolbar with other programs because the code to every button starts with "first activate ArtRage, then send the following command". This is to make sure that the command is sent to the correct program. So:
    - you definitely won't be able to use the toolbar with another program if ArtRage is open
    - I haven't tried with other programs! Maybe it is possible to send commands to a program even if we don't activate it first. That part about activating the program was absolutely necessary at the beginning when the toolbar was stealing the focus whenever you pushed a button on it (wow, that feels like ages ago!), but it may actually not be necessary now that the toolbar doesn't steal the focus anymore (only the Move button does).

Edit:
    We can try something quick with Painter 11. If I have the ahk_class of the program, then I could do a quick "replace all" in the code for the toolbar. To get the ahk_class for Painter 11, you can go all the way back to post #20 (!) and look at the instructions there.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  7. Steve B

Bummer about the .exe file. Ok.

I'm going to reinstall Painter 11, and just give things a go and report back.

8. Steve B

The interesting news is it totally works-- even the Hover Icons can be applied.

Of course, the major issue is that none of the shortcut key commands are the same, so I'm getting all sorts of strange stuff occurring when I press the buttons-- but stuff is working. I can easily, for example, undo and redo. I can do a host of other odd stuff too-- it's just a matter of getting the buttons to press the right key I think.

I may be able to enlist someone else to do some footwork for us and give me/us a list of the key commands they'd need to get Painter to run on this.

Anyways, I'll play around with this idea separate from what we're focusing on for now, and come back when I have something more to report. If I want to go into the code and see if I can paste other key commands in, where would I find the code just for the main toolbar for Artrage Small? Then I can just make a copy of what we've got and go from there on my own for a bit.

9. lblb

That's cool!

This may not be the answer you were looking for, but I think the most efficient solution would be for you to get your hands on a list of the necessary shortcuts for Painter and then I'll adjust the code. Because of all the customization stuff and because of the interconnections between buttons, the coding for any given button can be a bit more complex than expected. For example, because most buttons work their normal function even if the straight line function is on, it means that most buttons actually have two different codes (for when straight line is on and when it's off). As another example, the code for the undo/redo buttons in ArtRage is in a completely different file from the major file for the toolbar in order to make it possible to adjust the repeat delay in the Options.

10. Steve B

Ah, I see. I bow to your greater AHK knowledge! ;)

I'll work on the list and go from there. I'd just put it out of your mind until I bring it back up again. I really do want to focus on Artrage (LOL), but this idea came up conversationally, and I wanted to check. Now I know it's possible, and we can cross that bridge later. I figure the more art programs we can apply this UI to in the long run the better, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.