Photoshop toolbar

Discussion in 'Artists' started by lblb, Feb 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Sweet! It's going to be totally awesome and tons of people are going to use it!

How about calling it something like the "Stylus Art Bar for Tablets" for a name? Gets the point across and does its own Google marketing.

Also, you should put an "About" button on it somewhere out of the way which gives its version history and a link back to this forum.

Great, great work, guys!

2. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I have also been pondering the name. I'd been thinking about something that focused on the fact that it let you use the program just with a pen. I'd come up with "The Pen-only Toolbar" or some such thing. I also had "The Pen-only Add-On". That sort of thing, and the same for the other programs.

My intent was to share with a video to get feedback, and then power through the last set of revisions to the 3.0, or the "release version". :D hee hee!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  3. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Sounds good! Some feedback will be appreciated. I like thatcomicsguy's idea to have a Google-friendly name, hadn't really considered that... I guess that's why some of us are not in marketing...

4. Steve B

Hmmmm.... the Google-fu is an interesting point. I was having an online conversation last night about this, and the notion of a name like "Pen-Centric Toolbar" came up too. I like the sound of some of these names better, honestly, but I don't know if thatcomicguys idea is perhaps more functional......

5. lblb

All sound good to me... maybe something that has "pen/stylus/tablet" and "toolbar" and "art programs" would be more descriptive...
    I don't know if I'll be able to find a way to make it work, but I'm exploring ways to be able to use one toolbar with all the toolbars present (2 Sai, 2 ArtRage, 1 Firefox) and have an Option to select which toolbar(s) you want to enable/disable. We'll see... If that works (no promise there!) a general name would be even more appropriate.

6. lblb

Just a quick one:
    Good news, the toolbar selection stuff works. It is now possible to enable/disable (i.e. show/hide them in the menus) any of the toolbars, As a bonus, this forced me to find a way to make it possible to select which toolbar appears when the file is launched. It will take some time to make all of this pretty (and I probably won't have time to work on this this week-end), but this should make it more appealing when we share it (and also make it much more easier to manage updates (i.e. only one file to update, not a different file for each program)).

7. Steve B

Ok, the demo video for the Artrage toolbar is up and running on YouTube here. It runs 12 minutes, but I had a very hard time getting it shorter. I tried a few recordings, and there's just too much to cover between 1) the basic reasons for use it, 2) the Tools Bar and how customizable it is, 3) the Main Toolbar and it's Resize and Zoom functions, 4) the Hover Icons, and 5) what I called the Quick-strike Buttons within the Hover Icons. Phew! It's a damn impressive setup IMO. I'll be curious to see if we get any response.

I hope that people who see something like this might have ideas of how to apply these design and layout principles to other programs that could use a pen-utlity "boo

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. lblb

Wow Steve, what a fantastic job on the video! Congratulations! It’s very information-dense yet it flows very nicely and you made it very easy to absorb. It efficiently (and pretty spectacularly!) highlights the main functions. If I were an artist using ArtRage, I’d be salivating right now (and not because of the rage part... yeah, bad pun...) Hopefully this will attract some attention from users eager to give feedback when it is released. The name is great and the "quick-strike" name is perfect!

Talking about releasing this publicly:

Here is v2.10:

Toolbar_v_2_10.zip

Major changes:
    - Look at the new last tab in the Toolbar Options. Hopefully this will work. You can now select which toolbar you want enabled/disabled, and which toolbar you want to start with. Getting all of this to work was pretty complex, but now that I know how to do it it will be very easy to adjust when we someday add the Sketchbook Pro (and maybe others) toolbar.
    - Hopefully it will all work, but this will need extensive testing. Essentially, when a toolbar is disabled, it is just removed from all the menus.
    - Selecting toolbars from the different menus uses all the same functions as before so they should all work if they did before. The main thing that will need attention is the starting toolbar. This involves some modified coding so that it will be important to verify that the starting toolbars are as bug-free as when they are not the starting one.

Minor changes:
    - Tray menu icons are now the same size as all other menu icons
    - Closing the toolbar now closes the small UI to create hover icons from the ArtRage quick menu.
    - The Straight Line button in Sai Large wasn’t working in the last version (I had inadvertently screwed up the code)

9. Steve B

That looks vey cool! I'm glad you thought the video was ok- I'm always interested in getting feedback. I did wonder if the video was _too_ information heavy, even if I do have a casual style. I wanted to get it down to 7-8 minutes, or atleast under 10, but I just didn't see able to do it. :(. I couldn't seem to get around explaining _why_ things were done the way they were, and why a person might want to use them for that reason, but I'm not sure if that was the best decision or not. ???

edit--
    OK, I got to work on the video a bit more and add all the annotations I wanted to do. Video and Audio is the same, but I generally think the annotations add a certain kind of clarity.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  10. lblb

Very quickly:
    Yeah the video is damn near perfect! You very appropriately ignored the technical aspects and setup stuff etc. and focused on showing off the main features. I think your decision to ignore the why of everything was a very good one for this first introductory video. I think the somewhat extended play time actually allows you to keep a more casual style and let's the different pieces of information sink in more easily. I also saw that you are starting to get some feedback and develop interest on the ArtRage forum and on your blog. Exciting!
    The new annotations on the video are very cool. They add a touch of professionalism and provide a very efficient way of showing your excitement about this. Unfortunately I'm just passing by right now so I can't give more detail but you may want to take a look at some of the annotations as a few typos (not many!) crept up here and there (sorry I don't have time to pinpoint them right now).
    Terrific job!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.