Photoshop toolbar

Discussion in 'Artists' started by lblb, Feb 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

That is correct. That code is opening the Layers Pod flyout menu, then opening the Blend Modes flyout menu, but not actually pressing any buttons. I did a couple of tests, preselecting a different blend mode and then hitting the M button, and it's clearly not changing the blend mode I've chosen.

Truth be told, I rather like this "mistake" though, as it allows me to very quickly pick one of a few different options. As we're thinking of sharing with others, this sounds like something that would be nice to allow flexibility on. I also think it makes the fact that the two flyout menus flash onscreen seem less odd- essentially, they stay open "on purpose" because you need to pick the actual blend mode. So, I'm game for that.

2. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Alright, sounds good. I just don't understand yet why the original code works perfectly on mine for automatically selecting Multiply (and, for that matter, why the new code works on yours). I'll try to investigate a bit as it will be important when we share this. Let's try to see in the next few days if your code works all the time, even after several reboots. Let me just add that it would be great if it worked reliably as everything else I tried (all of Saturday afternoon!) didn't work!

Because of that, I actually didn't have time to work on the new layout this week-end. Just one of those things I thought would take 10 minutes! Anyway, I should have some time this week.

And now, I gotta actually prepare some stuff for tomorrow!

3. Steve B

That sounds fine to me. I think, on some level, if we can't get some of these cool but minor things to work reliably, I'm more interested in getting the new UI up and running first. I can then make the video, we can share it and get feedback, etc. and we can be playing around and working out these other awesome details that will just expand the basic functionality as time rolls on. I look forward to seeing what you can cook up. I've had a few more people ask about it, which is fun. I think there's a nice niche space for this utility. :)

4. lblb

I've been working on the ArtRage layouts. Hopefully I will be able to upload something soon. A couple of quick questions:

1) Is the position of the new supplementary icons on the Layers and Stencils pods ok? I can move them around as long as they are all on the corresponding panel. As soon as they go off the edge of the panel, they become awkwardly unresponsive. I can also add other buttons you may have thought of (on these or on other pods), it's pretty straightforward now that I know how to do it.

2) Re-reading the last exchange we had, it's not clear which code worked for you to open the Blend Mode menu. Was it

Click, 128, %YMultiply%
    Send {Down 8}
    Send {Right}
    Send {Down 7}
    Send {Enter}

or

Click, 128, %YMultiply%
    Send {Down}
    Send {Right}
    Send {Down 7}
    Send {Enter}

3) Whatever the right code is in 2), it is clear that some of the keypresses in there are useless. Does any of the following simpler codes work? Just replace Send {Down x} with the one that worked for you in 2).

Click, 128, %YMultiply%
    Send {Down x}
    Send {Right}

or

Click, 128, %YMultiply%
    Send {Down x}
    Send {Enter}

4) For Sai LARGE, I removed the Save Zoom A/B buttons and put them in the Quick Settings menu. So now the Recall Zoom A/B buttons are 50 pixels high (instead of 25 when all four buttons were grouped). Do you also want to remove the two Save Zoom buttons form the SMALL toolbar? If yes, what would you put in their place?

5. Steve B

Ok. Quickly,

1) The position works for me currently. Mostly because I don't know where else they'd go. LOL. Did you have other thoughts?
    2) edit-- I'm using the following code from post #428--

Click, 128, %YMultiply%
    Send {Down}
    Send {Right}
    Send {Down 7}
    Send {Enter}

3) edit-- now knowing what I've got for #2, can you more explicitly say what you'd like to have me test out. I wasn't quite understanding this part from your post.
    4) My intent was to keep Sai Small as is for now, mostly because I wasn't concerned about accidentally tapping the Save Zoom buttons where they're currently located. I now see, though, other options..... sigh. Why won't my brain stop working sometimes?

Ok, thinking outloud-- I now wonder-- as we have the very nice, very accessible Quick Settings fly-out menu available at the top of the Drop Down Menu.... perhaps we no longer need the % bar and the two Save Zoom buttons on Sai Small. ??? I had to use the flyout menu a lot more frequently back when the Sai Hover Icon didn't bite very well. Now that that is working better, those are a set of commands I don't use regularly at all. If so, perhaps they can be left to just be as they are currently, in the fly out on the drop down menu.

However, the major issue I see with is that the interface (rows and columns, where buttons go, etc) would need to be reworked. To have one less horizontal row would be weird, but we have too many icons to actually remove one column of vertical buttons and consolidate. The answer is more complicated than I want it to be, and generally leads me directly to needing an extra row of buttons, which pretty much leads me directly to a layout that's almost exactly like Sai Large. I'm not sure if I'm up for going there yet.

So, I guess that's the long winded way of saying I think I'd leave the Save Zoom buttons alone for now on Sai Small. !!! LOL. Any thoughts on that?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  6. lblb

Yeah those were exactly my thought on the Sai small setup... We could get rid of the zoom level (especially since I've now added it onto the Middle-Click zoombar, and I've also added it on the Sai Large normal zoombar; let's see what you think when I upload it) but what buttons to put in its place? I think we may as well leave it like this for now. Or maybe reintroduce a Save button? A canvas rotation button (gradual or by specific increments, which could be done by keypresses or by phantom-clicking on the Navigator just like the current zoom stuff does)? Something else? Transparency button (in fact, does the transparency button work correctly on the Large toolbar)?

For the code part, I just want to see if we can eliminate the unnecessary keypresses. Can you still get to Blend Mode if you replace this

Click, 128, %YMultiply%
    Send {Down}
    Send {Right}
    Send {Down 7}
    Send {Enter}

By either this

Click, 128, %YMultiply%
    Send {Down}
    Send {Right}

Or this

Click, 128, %YMultiply%
    Send {Down}
    Send {Enter}

7. Steve B

Neither works-

Click, 128, %YMultiply%
    Send {Down}
    Send {Right}

opens up the first flyout menu and only does that.

Click, 128, %YMultiply%
    Send {Down}
    Send {Enter}

opens the first flyout menu and presses Enter, which means it makes a new layer each time I press the M button.

8. lblb

Alright, here is v. 2.9:

Toolbar_v_2_9.zip

Changes:
    - Included all the recent changes and fixed multiple bugs here and there (hopefully didn’t introduce new ones). There is actually a lot of new stuff code-wise in introducing the ArtRage small layout so hopefully I didn't break anything that worked before.

Sai Large:
    - Adjusted the Save Zoom buttons
    - Added the zoom% window and Recall Zoom A/B on the normal zoombar. Is this good? Or did you prefer like before?
    - The middle-click zoombar also has a zoom% window

Sai Small:
    - The middle-click zoombar also has a zoom% window

ArtRage Large:
    - Now with new streamlined layout
    - Note that the Lasso sequence is the same as before (i.e. the last selected tool is reselected at the end). This is different from the lasso stuff in the Small setup (which keeps the lasso selected in the end). Let’s see which one you prefer.

ArtRage Small:
    - All new! Highlights:
    - Has a Tool subtoolbar that can be toggled on/off. It starts on.
    - The Tool subtoolbar is completely independent from the tool section in the large setup. Both can be customized independently in the Options.
    - For now, if you customize both Tool toolbars at the same time in the Options, you’ll have to restart the toolbar twice for all changes to be applied. If you prefer, it’s easy to make it so that if you restart the toolbar once, both toolbars will be updated at once.
    - The biggest challenge here was the Selection/Transform stuff. I think it works like you wanted:
    - Select only the lasso and you can select a region. You can deselect by pressing the Ctrl+d button that appears or just select another region by selecting somewhere else.
    - Transform without selection and you work on the active layer. Transform becomes Enter to confirm the transformation once done.
    - You can select a region with the lasso then start transforming it, or whenever you are transforming something, you can press the lasso directly to confirm the current transformation and switch to lasso. This part was the trickiest to implement... let’s see if it all works.​

Up next:
    - I think if you work out the bugs in this one (and hopefully if none of them are too major) and/or have any new ideas, then I can try to fix them and following that, we could separate the Sai and ArtRage toolbars so that you can start making videos.
    - I’ll work a bit on the hover icons biting.
    - I’ll prepare a quick pdf for the installation instructions only. I’ll probably wait until the videos are on the way to see what other information could be included in the instructions/help file.
    - I will try to figure out the weird stuff we observed with the M button on the layers hover icon in ArtRage (it is actually now B for Blend Mode). From what you described in the last posts, it seems like it’s just a timing issue (i.e. probably need to add a very brief delay somewhere). I will go for just opening the Blend Mode menu (and not select Magnify), but the code that works for you definitely doesn’t work for me.

9. Steve B

This looks like a thing of beauty. I just opened it up and played around. :)

I'm ready to make a couple of simple demo videos and get it out there-- one for Artrage and one for Sai. Perhaps we'll find a few people that can help us bug test it on more computers. Who knows, they might have some ideas for refinement. I have some UI ideas already bubbling in my head-- mostly about how to further condense some of these buttons. I think the main idea isn't Large versus Small (although that's important too), but functionality with a one-button pen versus a two button pen. But that can be the next few iterations, between now and 3.0

For now, I'd just like to do some simple sharing and see if we get any feedback. In the mean time, I'll map out my ideas for how we might be able to streamline the buttons a bit more. So far though, this looks pretty f'n polished.

Is all that cool with you?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  10. lblb

Sounds good about the future layouts.

Videos would be super cool! I’m really eager to see what you can come up with.

Before you start though, I would give it a good run for its money just to make sure there are no bugs (or that I didn’t break anything with the new changes). I think we just want to make sure that the first iteration is as bug-free as possible if we want to have any chance of having others try it and keep using it. We could maybe wait to fix these bugs (and one or two that I found – for example closing the toolbar doesn’t close the Quick Settings UI to make hover icons in ArtRage) and perhaps separate the Sai and ArtRage toolbars (so that the videos don’t show stuff that won’t be there when we share) but I’ll leave that entirely to you. Anything you decide is fine with me. Exciting times!

Edit:
    We'll obviously need to give it a new name... maybe something like "SBLB ArtRage Toolbar"... or something more artistic... haven't really thought about this...
    When we share it, we could just restart with the new name at v1.0 (then maybe use 1.0.x when we exchange/test it between us, and share versions 1.x). Wow, here I go thinking out loud as if this thing was already out there being tested and used by millions of artists...

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.