Photoshop toolbar

Discussion in 'Artists' started by lblb, Feb 3, 2012.

1. lblb

lblb Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

UPDATE October 10/3 2013

PHOTOSHOP
    The most recent Photoshop toolbar (which can also be used for Paint Tool Sai) can be found on thatcomicsguy's website here:
    Fantasy/Sci-fi graphic novels and webcomics by Cartoonist Mark Oakley, author of the Graphic Novel series, "Thieves & Kings", "Stardrop" and "Jenny Mysterious"

ARTRAGE
    UPDATE October 10/3 2013: We have officially released v. 1.0 of the ArtRage Pen-Only Toolbar. You can download it at
    ArtRage Pen-Only Toolbar 1.0

and look at the list of changes, as well as get some sort of limited tech help at the dedicated threat at the Artrage Forums:
    The Artrage Pen-Only Toolbar is ready!

Here is the link to the Youtube video and Tutorial for the Artrage Toolbar as well

PAINT TOOL SAI
    Previous to the work on the ArtRage toolbar above, we were working on a combined ArtRage Sai version. If you plan on using it for ArtRage, you should use the more complete toolbar in the link above. If you plan to use it for Sai, it can be downloaded from post 448 here:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/software/47928-photoshop-toolbar-45.html

The Photoshop toolbar developed by thatcomicsguy can also be used in Sai:
    Fantasy/Sci-fi graphic novels and webcomics by Cartoonist Mark Oakley, author of the Graphic Novel series, "Thieves & Kings", "Stardrop" and "Jenny Mysterious"

UPDATE MARCH 12 2013: Tonitti has customized thatcomicsguy's toolbar and come up with his own toolbar for Sai:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/software/55812-sai-ps-toolbar-extended-based-ps_sai_toolbar.html

OPENCANVAS
    For a related toolbar that can be used with openCanvas, see basicleader's great work here:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/sof...pired-photoshop-toolbar-thread-need-help.html

Original post:

Hi all,

After fooling around with a AutoHotkey script on my EP121, I decided to try to learn how to use AutoHotkey more efficiently. I've come up with a toolbar for Photoshop that can kind of serve as a version of ModLock on steroids (i.e. you can press the buttons with the pen, and keep modifiers like Ctrl and Shift pressed down). I was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to try it out and share their comments. It's available as a zip file that I have uploaded on mediafire.com:

Photoshop_Toolbar_v1

For it to work, you will need to have AutoHotkey installed on your computer. Then, just extract the content of the zip file and double-click the file named Photoshop.ahk (you can close it by right-clicking on the tray icon). This should open a hovering toolbar that looks like the picture below.

Any comments on how well it works would be greatly appreciated. Note that I am actually not an artist and am doing this to learn how to use AutoHotkey so don't hesitate to tell me if the layout is all wrong or if any important buttons useful for Photoshop are missing. Thanks in advance for your input.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 3, 2013
    fishdavis likes this.
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Dude! Nice work!

I spent some time mucking around with Autohotkey a year or so ago (trying to make an on-screen undo button). It was a tough learning curve because I'm not a programmer at all, and what I came up with took a fair bit of effort and community help to get working properly.

Your button bar is exactly what I was hoping to find (and didn't) which prompted me to make my own. Yours is so slick, and it works great! I love the fact that you can move it around with the 'move' tab. (Mine was static, and you needed to tweak the code if you wanted to make it appear in different spots on your screen.)

Things I'd add and subtract to make your button bar smoother (for my own needs, anyway), are the following. . .

-Add a key which toggles full-screen.
    -Make it so that the hand function is automatically toggled off when you hit any other key, (like the brush or eraser).
    -The brush increase/decrease size buttons can be removed altogether since clicking the stylus button already opens up a handy and powerful brush size context menu in Photoshop.
    -I don't think I'd use either the ctrl or shift options, so they just take up space for me.

Also. . , the copy/paste/cut/delete buttons aren't useful without a lasso option, but the lasso is of limited use since it is most powerful when the user has a hand free to toggle the Alt and Shift keys for various selection functions, (like add, or subtract and polygonal selection), while working the stylus with the other hand. Sticky buttons don't really work with polygonal selection; you really need two hands. Generally, if I need to do proper selection, I'll have the keyboard out and the proper tool bar active.

Though what WOULD be useful would be to have the basic lasso available, as well as a "Ctrl T" button, which opens up the "scale/rotate/move selection" option. This would be a benefit for people when they are sketching, since selection doesn't have to be super-precise.

A floating command bar is good for when I'm in slate-mode and just want to draw or ink. So the Brush, and Eraser options, as well as the Undo and Redo features are really useful. So are the Zoom and Hand functions. I don't use the eyedropper, but I can see how some people would find this useful as well. The Save button is also a nice feature to have.

So I can see a bar with 12 buttons being best suited for my personal use.

Move, Save
    Brush, Eraser
    Lasso, Transform (Ctrl T)
    Undo, Redo
    Zoom In, Zoom Out
    Full Screen, Hand

Oh yeah. . .

What would also be cool would be some way to program the buttons to serve whatever program is in focus, (like Paint Tool Sai, for instance. But that's a whole other level of programming difficulty, and I don't expect you to jump on that challenge, though it certainly would be awesome! Right now, I have two undo buttons open at the same time, one for Photoshop and another for Sai. It would be neat to have one bar which the user could program.)

And last but not least, just as a matter of convenience, you should know that you can right-click on your .ahk file and select "Compile", which will turn the script into a single executable which anybody can then use without needing to have Autohotkey installed.

So anyway, I just want to say again, Really Nice Work! This is the sort of thing Table PC users can seriously benefit from!

And finally. . .

If you implement these changes, also please set up a tip jar as I'd be happy to drop some bux in it for such a professional and sleek tool.

Cheers, and thanks again for your contribution!

3. lblb

Thanks thatcomicsguy for all your very useful comments. I actually really appreciate that you are throwing some pretty complex suggestions in there so that it will require that I learn new stuff (and do a whole lot of Googling!) Your comments about the usefulness of the different buttons are very helpful as I don’t really use Photoshop for any kind of intensive work. It’s just a great hotkey-full program to sharpen my still-very-limited AutoHotkey chops.

Most of your suggestions seem to be somewhat straightforward so I may just try to get a basic version out with the “trivial” stuff taken care of, then go for the more complicated stuff later on. I’ll wait to see if anyone else has other useful suggestions (knowing full well that everyone has their own preferences).

In the meantime, I have a few basic questions:

- Is the level of transparency good? Lighter? Darker?
    - Is the button size good (they are all 50x50 pixels)? Should any of the buttons that you suggest be larger? smaller? Larger buttons may be useful if you use touch input but does anyone do that?
    - Is a vertical toolbar better than a horizontal one?
    - Would it be useful if the toolbar had a Windows taskbar icon (like any other program) or is the tray icon sufficient?
    - For a toggle full screen button, would that just be the equivalent of pressing f or do you have something else in mind?
    - I understand your comments about the Ctrl and Shift toggles and also about selecting/copy/paste etc. and will try to address some of what you wrote. That being said, you also seem to suggest that a alt button could potentially be useful in Photoshop?

By the way, I will eventually compile this script but since I didn’t even know if the script would work at all on other computers, I didn’t want to add that extra layer of uncertainty.

Thanks again for all the comments and suggestions, I’ll see what I can do!

4. thatcomicsguy

The level of transparency looks about right to me.

50x50 seems to be a good size. I do value every pixel of screen space I can get, but with this kind of button, I also find I'm zipping back and forth between whatever I'm drawing and the button, often using muscle-memory more than anything else, so having a decent target size is useful. However, not all the buttons need to be that size. You could comfortably shrink some of the less high-traffic buttons into a third of their current size, (For instance, Move, Save and Toggle Full Screen would work well as a triplet of smaller buttons across the top of the bar).

I find the button size on the native Photoshop Toolbar to be pretty good for the most part, though sometimes when I go for 'heavy traffic' tools, like the Lasso or Eraser, I find I'll miss and hit a nearby key instead. That's annoying.

Here's a link to my own little "Undo" button script, so you can see the product of my own thinking and what I've gotten used to.

I do happen to prefer vertical. That's how I have all my Tablet stuff laid out, as well as my Windows desktop icons. Also, Photoshop, whenever I've seen it running on other people's machines, despite options for horizontal tool layouts, always has the button bars set up in a vertical fashion, so it seems to be the popular convention. I'd stick with that.

The icon tray is sufficient, I think. The Bar is not a big program like a word processor which fits into the design theme of needing taskbar representation, but rather it's more like a background service, which I find are best represented by the tiny icons.

Yes, the 'F' key is what I use.

I don't think having an Alt sticky is really much benefit.

Also. . , at the risk of telling you things you already know. . .

You should give the lasso tool a try in PS. It's probably the most complicated function wrt button combos there is in the whole program. It requires two fingers on one hand to click Alt and Shift keys while simultaneously manipulating the stylus with the other hand. For instance. . , if you have an existing area which has been selected and is surrounded by the 'marching ants', and you want to add to that selection, while having the Lasso button toggled on, hold down the Alt key, for Add, (you'd hold down Shift if you wanted to subtract from the selection area), then touch the stylus to the screen to start drawing the selection line. THEN, while holding the stylus to the screen, you release the Alt key and then press it again and hold it down. This activates Polygonal Selection, (which means you can lift your stylus and not have the selection auto-complete, but rather allow yourself to touch the screen in another area and have the selection auto-complete between just the new and previous point, while still keeping the selection function active. This allows you to quickly do things like select a Stop Sign shape by just touching each point around the edge rather than having to carefully draw all the way around. It also lets you pause to scratch your nose, so long as you keep the Alt key held down. Very useful.)

Sound complicated? It is. But after you've trained your fingers, it becomes second nature. The problem, however, with trying to use a stylus-activated Alt key is that you can't use the Stylus to un-sticky the Alt key in the bar since it's already being used to draw the selection area. But if you can figure out an easy system which doesn't need a keyboard, then I bet Adobe would like to hear from you. :)

Of course. . , that kind of selection is only necessary for very precise work, like selecting areas to fill with color. For simple manipulation of a sketch in progress, however, (like resizing or shifting the position of a person's head while laying out a rough figure drawing), then the selection areas can be a great deal more general and a basic lasso option and transform tool is all that are required; all that clever finger-dancing described above isn't necessary.

Cool. That makes sense.

No problem! I'm just glad to meet somebody with real programming skills who is interested in finding solutions to Tablet/Photoshop challenges.

5. lblb

thatcomicsguy,

Thanks for your detailed answers, much appreciated.

I have just uploaded v. 1.0 of the 12-button thatcomicsguy_toolbar (see link below). Can you verify if all the buttons work like they should and if any additions/modifications could be useful?

thatcomicsguy_toolbar_1_0.zip

I just included the basic buttons that you suggested but haven't really started to address the more funky stuff. Among others, I would really like to find how to release the hand when you hit another button and hopefully that will come soon. In the meantime, I changed the "pressed down" image for the hand so that the state of the button is more obvious. If you prefer the original "pressed down" icon, just replace the file pana.tif in the png subfolder with the file of the same name in the main folder.

Questions:
    - If I do put three buttons on a row at the top, and also depending on how I can address your other suggestions, there may be a slot that frees up for one button. Any idea what that button could be?
    - I'll try (someday!) to change the commands for each button as a function of the active program. When you run SAI (I don't have it installed), is it "sai.exe" when you look in task manager? Also, what are the key presses/hotkeys that change for the buttons on your toolbar when going from Photoshop to SAI?

Cheers!

P.S. I couldn't resist the childish transform icon... if you want to change it, just replace the file transform.tif in the png subfolder with the file of the same name in the main folder.

UPDATE:

Well I sure am learning a lot about AutoHotkey today!

Below is v 1.1. I've added a top row of three buttons to move, rollup/down and close the toolbar. Interested in having those last two on there? Also, I think I figured out the hand thing and it should now be released automatically if you hit another button. I've set it so that all the other buttons will release the hand when pressed: are there any of the buttons on the toolbar for which you would like the hand not to be released when the button is pressed? Also, as you can see there is one spot free for another button right now.

http://www.mediafire.com/?cax5gd9qakb450v

6. Steve B

Steve B Moderator Moderator

I don't use PS, but I've been looking for something like this too in Paint Tool Sai, Artrage, and Sketchbook Pro. My dream is to have a program that is half Modlock and half Funky Bar. I LOVE that Funky Bar is program specific. That is awesome. And you can add as many buttons as you want, which is also awesome. Modlock let's you set the timer for modifier keys, and lets you hit multiple modifier keys. Two essential functions as well. Both of these programs do awesome things that are amazingly useful on a tablet pc. It's rather cumbersome to need to us 3 programs just to get the functions I want-- because I also use Stroke It.

For the truth is that functions that only require you to press a single button once can generally be more easily accessed, imo, by using Stroke It. I use Stroke It for things like Tab, using the Hand/ Scroll/ Grabber tool, and switching tools like Pen, Brush, etc. These are all easily accessed by hitting a single "flick".

I would like to see things like-
    1) a single button I could push that would but and hold multiple modifier keys, like Ctrl + Alt for example
    2) a slider for magnification instead of a button, to allow a more detailed shift in smaller increments
    3) an fll button for entering and exiting full screen mode

Things I like- the idea of a quick save button, and an undo and redo button. These are super cool. I'll download this and try it out and get back to you tomorrow.

I also think the idea of being able to easily use the lasso tool and then scale/rotate, etc with ease sounds really really cool. I never thought of doing that while working in Full Screen. That sounds very cool

It's very cool that you're trying this out. I'll get back soon!!

7. thatcomicsguy

Ha ha! The Transformer head is very cute.

The hand works great now.

So does the Transform tool, except it needs a way to exit the function. Actually. . , you could probably use the same thing you changed on the hand tool. 'Transform' needs either a tap from "Enter" or a tap on the PS tool bar to change tools before it will commit to the transformation and exit its edit phase. As it stands, there's no way to commit to the transformation without either the keyboard or the PS native tool bar.

The Show/Hide button for the bar works really well. I was just playing around with that, and it's good in that it lets me tuck the bar out of the way when I'm doing something not-Photoshop. It seems so obvious in retrospect, but I never realized how much I'd appreciate that function.

The Close button, I'd personally rather not have, however. I don't want to inadvertently close the bar and have to go find the program again to re-start it. Instead I just close from the icon tray if I really want it gone. -Once my undo button is opened on my system, it usually stays open until I'm done in Photoshop, which is almost never.

Taking away the Close button leaves a gap on the top three row, which could be filled with the Save button, which doesn't need to be that big anyway. Then the whole bar shrinks by a block's length, (smaller=better) while maintaining all the sweet functions.

Shaping up to be quite the versatile tool, I must say!

8. lblb

thatcomicsguy, Steve B,

Thanks for the good words. I won't have time to work on this before Sunday night (gotta grade my students' lab reports) but I'll write back here as soon as I can.

thatcomicsguy, for the transform tool, would a Enter button on the toolbar be ok? I will look at other options but it seems like that could work. Although that could be a waste of space if Enter is only used for this one function...

Steve, I'm very willing to try anything you can think of with this kind of script, although my programming knowledge is still very limited (it was about zero back in August!) So if you want, go ahead and describe in some detail the layout, the buttons and the functions that you would like and I'll see what I can do. I will have to try (and I'm certainly not making any promise) but I think pressing more than one modifier key with one button should be pretty straightforward (as well as adding some timing component). I haven't played with strips or sliders yet but go ahead and describe what you are thinking of I'll see what I can do. Also, if that could be of interest, it would actually be easy to have one file to start to independent toolbars instead of a large one (maybe one for modifiers and one for other buttons?) Lastly, in your previous post, in point #3 is fll a typo (I'm not sure what you mean by that word)?

Also, I will try soon to see if the commands (and maybe even the button images?) can be changed according to the active program. So it would be helpful if you could tell me of a few hotkeys for functions that are shared by more than one program (and also what the program's name is in Task Manager).

9. lblb

Just so that you can test it while I'm doing other stuff, I've uploaded v. 1.2 that has an Enter button on the toolbar. Hopefully that will make the Transform button usable for now.

thatcomicsguy_toolbar_1_2.zip

One last question: if I play with it, I think I could have the roll-up button minimize the toolbar to just the roll-up button. Would that be preferable to having it roll up the toolbar to all three of the top buttons as it is now?

10. Steve B

It wasn't a typo, but I see now it wasnt clear. In Paint Tool Sai the button you push to enter a kind of "super" full screen mode, where even the Windows taskbar and the Sai menu bar goes away, is F11. Tab hides all the onscreen "tables" for picking colors, starting new layers, changing opacity, etc. I use Tab all the time, but I use F11 once or twice in each session.

This work you're doing is very very cool. I have guests over right now, but once things calm down I'm very excited to boot up some programs and really play with this some.

11. thatcomicsguy

I hope you don't mind, but I wanted to try my own noodling with your button-bar.
    PS-SAI-Bar-Version2.zip

I learned from how you performed toggling, and applied that so the transform button would toggle between two states. When you press it, it either sends a "Ctrl T" or a "Return" depending on what it last did. That way, when you finish transforming the selection, you just hit it again and it completes the action. (It has a slight bug; if you press it when there is nothing selected, it still toggles, but this doesn't seem to affect anything else. To get rid of that, I'd have to find out how to test whether or not there is anything selected in Photoshop, and I don't know how that's done.)

I also shrunk down the Save image and re-adjusted the button bar layout according to my ideal. It's now basically my perfect system for Photoshop tablet work! I hope you don't mind my having taken liberties with it.

I should note that for some reason, your button bar works much more smoothly than mine did. My old one wasn't nearly as responsive, and sometimes I'd have to tap the button more than once to get it to work. Don't know why that was.

Also, may I have permission to post your creation, (my edited version) on my website? I'd give you full credit, of course.

Cheers!

12. lblb

thatcomicsguy,
    I most certainly don't mind that you modify it any way you want and share it! I'm in that weird position where I'm working on this script yet I'm not really going to use it... just tryin' to learn to program with Autohotkey. I will be more than glad if someone who is really going to use it can make it his/hers!

If you are to give full credits, you should maybe add that, although it is completely unrecognizable right now, the foundations of it ultimately come from here:

Photoshop toolbar

Cheers mate! Don't hesitate to post back with impressions, bugs, improvements and everything once you've used it for a while.

13. Steve B

I got a chance to really look at this. I like the setup, but I don't seem to be to use it it in Sai. I understand that PS must have some different commands, but I thought more of them would cross over. I mean, Ctrl + Z is undo in PS, right? Or is the way this script is working is that it only works when PS is working? I'm sort of used to stuff like Modlock (which is also AHK I think), where it works regardless of what program you're running. If that's true, and you're pondering writing something up for Sai, here's some of my thoughts on what would be most useful-- atleast to me.

As before, I use Stroke It to do all the basic key functions that can be done by simply pressing a single key once-- switching tools (pen, brush, blur, eraser), tab (to bring menus back or make them disappear), and zoom in and zoom out (page up and page down). Although I think the idea of having some of these single button commands actually being buttons sounds nice, I'm most interested in achieving the functionality I can't get out of a single gesture. This means a) commands that require me to hit more than one key and hold them while using the pen (key modifiers like Ctrl, Shift, etc), b) commands that require a slider (zoom), c) commands that require me to hit one key, use the pen, and then hit a second key to finish (lasso, transform, and enter), or d) commands that I might need to hit repeatedly in quick succession (undo). So, having said that, here's some of my thoughts.

1) The zoom bar that I've seen in the touch enabled scripts you guys have going on the Asus ep121 looks awesome. If that could be done for any and all programs that in itself would be gold, as I don't have a very good solution right now. I want zooming to be smooth and incremental, and right now it's POW zoomed in and then POW zoomed out, which works but isn't optimal. What would you need to know to about Sai to work? The default buttons for zoom are page up and page down in Sai, but clearly they don't quite do what I want, and it's what I bind my Stroke It gestures to currently. Sai does actually have a sliding zoom feature (on the Navigator)-- you just need the menus in view to use it and I want to be able to do that without all the other menus there.
    2) Save option is nice (Ctrl + S in Sai)
    3) Same goes for the moving toggle
    4) Same goes for the "reduce" toggle for AHK bar
    --> essentially the top bar is nice. I like the size of the buttons, and that they're not wider than the two button width below.
    5) The timed key modifiers are important. Ctrl + Alt is very important in Sai because it lets you drag to resize your brush. I also use Shift though, for example, to easily do straight lines.
    6) Undo (Ctrl +Z) and redo (Ctrl + R) are nice too. One thing that would be nice is if you could sort of hold and press the Undo and it would work like the hardware buttons do, where it just sort of repeats the input in super quick succession. This would be nice, instead of having to "tap tap tap tap" very quickly to undo.
    7) It would be very very cool to hit the Lasso, use it, then hit the Transform button to scale/ rotate/ move/ free deform, and then hit it again to hit "Enter". It would also be nice if, when I hit enter, the program defaulted back to whatever I had before I used the lasso, so I could get back to business. I don't know if that's possible, but I might as well ask. ;) If this is what thatcomicsguy is doing with this script, I'd love to have that in Sai. Lasso is L, and Transform in Sai is Cntrl + T.

Including the zoom bar creates complications design wise in my mind. I also prefer the vertical orientation- I think because it allows me to easily access all the buttons without it getting in the way of a the majority of the work in the center of the pic. However, I also like the pairing of certain buttons, like the Lasso and Transform tools, the Undo and Redo, etc. That's nice. Thus, I think if you kept it vertical you would either need to a) have 3 vertical rows, with one of them being the sliding bar, or b) you would need two rows and the "paired" commands would be one above the other instead of side by side.

You could also try a horizontal orientation. This would allow the "paired" buttons to still be side by side, with the zoom being above them in its own horizontal bar. This could work, depending on how big the whole thing was, and if it got in the way of painting. I DO think the zoom bar would probably need to be as thick as the current buttons are, just so you wouldn't be inadvertently hitting other things while sliding on it.

The other thing is that we've got atleast a few key modifiers to lay out. As such, even if the zoom bar is taking the place of some buttons that are being removed, I see the need for new, different buttons as well- Ctrl + Alt, Shift, etc. Hmmmm....

To me, that means that, if you were just going to tailor it to what I currently think is essential in Sai, there would be 6 buttons (Lasso, Transform, Undo, Redo, Resize, Straight Line), plus the bar. That means I'd probably have it stay in the orientation its currently in, just with one extra button on the bottom, thus also making the slider a bit longer too.

Of course, the real thing is if it were customizable, so that I could somehow piece together the buttons I wanted if my habits changed, and to have it be customizable by program. ?? Thus, we begin to enter the real of ModLock+ Funky Bar + zoom bar. It's just totally cool to me that we're even discussing that this might be doable. Very cool stuff.

edit: Oh, and yes, when sai runs its sai.exe in the Task Manager.

14. lblb

Steve B,

1) I really don't have time right now so this will be a very very bastardized version. I've uploaded a version (of something like the original toolbar I uploaded) to try out some of the stuff you mentioned. I am really in a hurry so I haven't had time to change the icons, I'm just trying to show you the potential. See here:

Photoshop_Toolbar_v2_SteveB_Demo.zip

2) Does the Ctrl toggle work for you? I haven't tried to do it but if ctrl works, I should be able to find a way to get a ctrl+alt toggle to work too. Also, you should be able to do toggle combinations with the ctrl and shift buttons.

3) The drop button should actually be a button that holds down ctrl+alt for one second then releases it. Does it work for you? If it works, open the ahk file in a text editor that numbers the lines (I use Notepad++) and you can change the delay (in milliseconds) on line 145. (In fact, the code for this is way simpler than the one for "simple" toggles like in 2) above.) By the way, for this button and the toggles, you can "follow the action live" if the TIP is opened when you are pushing the buttons.

4) It is actually expected that the redo/undo buttons on thatcomicsguy's toolbar won't work in programs other than PS because they are not in fact undo/redo, they are step backward/step forward. Do the undo/redo buttons on what I just uploaded work for you?

5) I don't have time to do it but you can try the following for your F11 button:
    - Open the ahk file in a text editor that numbers the lines.
    - The best way to know what each button does is probably to first start by looking at the name of the image for the button. For example, on line 21 is the "cut" button as seen by the name "cut.tif". The "gc13" term on this line is the name of the button. The action associated with this "c13" button is found if you scroll down to line 70. While line 73 is just to make sure that the "hand" tool is released when you hit this "cut" button (this is irrelevant to this discussion), line 74 says that the button will send "ctrl x". If you change it to "send {F11}" I think it should work for your purpose. So make that change, save the file, launch the ahk script, and the "cut" button should now be a F11 button.

6a) Of course, all of this will become completely irrelevant when the supreme EP121 AHK script is adapted for other systems... Completely irrelevant. Period. I mean: how can a flimsy toolbar compete with something that allows you to have both pen and touch input at the same time, especially since the touch input doesn't steal the cursor away from the pen??? It's pure gold! And you're right, the sliders on that thing are, dare I say, even better than sliced bread. For proof of that, see the kickass ArtDock app that was just posted in the Samsung S7 forum.
    6b) In my opinion there are only 2 things wrong with the EP121 AHK script:
    - First wrong: It only works for the EP121 and the S7. Although you may be happy to know (hold your breath) that someone finally asked about the x201t on the developer's blog... If history serves you well, this may mean that you are just a few days away from having that script work on the x201. There may be hope just yet...
    - Second wrong: For some unknown reason (and maybe that's just the soft-hearted Canadian in me talking), many people have been modifying that script into amazing apps yet they fail to acknowledge the work of the developer of the original script. I can't find a single message on his blog about EP121 or S7S users from this forum thanking him for revolutionizing the way we can interact with Windows tablets. I mean, that dude is doing all this incredible work by himself yet apparently no one bothers to thank him. Hopefully, all of these people sent him personal messages to thank him...

Anyway, thank you very much for the detailed response, I'll try to address your questions more carefully when I have time later this week. By the way, do you actually use Funkybar? I know the EP121 forum might not have been the right place to start a thread on it (i.e. because of the AHK script) but I'm really surprised that the Funkybar thread didn't get any traction at all...

15. Steve B

Re: Funky Bar, I was also surprised there was practically 0 traction there as well. Perhaps it's because of the fact that the touch enabled script is available, and makes it sort if defunct. It even makes Modlock defunct, because you can press and hold modifiers with one hand while drawing with the other.

The difference is that thatcomicsguy and I aren't using touch enabled tablet pcs. As such, all input mist be done with the pen and with one hand. That changes how things function- particularly with things like modifier keys, etc.

Re: the current S7/ ep121 script, I would be exceptionally happy to use it on my x200t, except my computer isnt touch enabled so it didnt seem like a possibility to even dream it. Does that matter? Do you know if it's being ported to an x201t that has touch? Or is it pen only like ours?

Re: my super detailed response- that was just meant to be helpful and involved. Nothing presumptuous!! I am very aware that youre doing this with your own free time for fun!! :)

16. lblb

I'm pretty sure a Wacom driver and touch are necessary for the EP121 AHK script to work (and the guy on the blog says "my X201t also uses Wacom ISD Dual touch driver".) I was actually mentioning that because I thought you still had a x201t but I obviously forgot to check your signature...

If my answer sounded like I was not pleased with your answer or something, it wasn't the case at all (I can see now that it may give that idea). Me insisting that I didn't have time on my hands was not a you-need-to-respect-my-time warning at all, it was really meant as a sorry-at-this-point-I-can-only-offer-some-incomplete-info message.

That being said, I hope to have time to work on this later this week. In the meantime, when you have a chance could you download the file I uploaded in the previous post and tell me if the various things that I suggested work for you? That would be very helpful, thanks!

17. lblb

A few more questions:
    - Would it be useful to have a "release all modifiers" button?
    - Can you tell me (for my first go at it) exactly what modifier buttons you would like to have and what layout that would be:
    ctrl?
    shift?
    alt?
    ctrl + shift toggle?
    ctrl + alt timed toggle? and what delay?
    etc.

18. Steve B

Unfortunately, right now none of the changes are working. I can clearly hit the buttons, and it seems to be activating something because the word "Ctrl", or "Ctrl + Alt", etc. will appear onscreen near my cursor, but nothing happens. Undo and Redo also don't affect the program. Right now, none of the buttons actually do anything in Sai. It is just as if they were working (I can see them and press them, and when I do I'm no longer drawing in Sai, so it's as if I'm directly working with the AHK script instead) but its as if it were affecting a different program that I just can't see.

19. lblb

In each button's code there is the following (which activates the Photoshop window before sending the command):

ifWinExist, ahk_class Photoshop
    WinActivate, ahk_class Photoshop

If you replace Photoshop by Sai in the two lines above, does the button work (for example on lines 99 and 100 for the undo button, and 106-107 for redo)?
    Alternatively: If you delete these lines from any button's code, does the button now work in sai? (The sai window may lose focus if these lines are deleted... not sure.)

Update:

Ok I think changing Photoshop for Sai on these two lines should work. Below is a modifed ahk file. If you swap the original for this one, do the buttons now work?

Attached Files:

20. lblb

By the way Steve B, thank you so much for all your feedback. And don't hesitate to tell me if you don't want to be involved in this, I really won't be offended if you say that you don't have time to try these things out! You're somehow way more involved in this than I thought anyone would be when I started this thread and I will completely understand if you're annoyed by all my questions!

This is thus a perfect segue for the following question:
    Could you fire up Window Spy to tell me the ahk_class for each of the programs that you are interested in? You can just launch the ahk script in the zip file below, right-click on its tray icon and choose Window Spy. Then start any of your art programs and note down the name that appears after ahk_class on the third line of Window Spy.
    If the ahk_class name for Sai.exe is indeed sai, then the file in the previous zip file should work. Also, note that in this and the previous post I'm essentially exposing the ideas that I hope to exploit to have a toolbar that can change according to the active program

Attached Files: