Photoshop plugins, tips, tricks... post your favorites!

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Agent 9, Sep 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

I've actually become very comfortable with Photoshop's quirks. There's only a couple of things I'd change at this point, but in the beginning, I did find that Adobe's way of thinking through any problem was kind of insane; like they were all Martians and every idea and process they'd programmed into the GUI needed to be translated into Human before I could do a damned thing with their software.

What are some of the things you'd fix/change/add in Photoshop?

2. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Some of the things I'd want changed are:
    -Improved consistency (lots of small things, when I rotate to portrait mode from landscape the vertical size screen ends where it was before it was rotated; cursors get corrupted, and a bunch of other things)
    -Better user management of the docked icons/ tools and such
    -Good color picker that is dockable
    -Multi-touch support (zooming, panning and maybe commands)
    -A "ribbon" like option for the menus and stuff so you can easily hide them (and have them pop down when moused over)
    -User access to all options (For example: what a "touch" input does. "automatic", "draw", or "pan")
    -Not to "un-maximize" when the window boarder is "clicked" (I swear. I'm trying to go for a option, and it clicks only once and then it reads it as a double click and then un-maximizes Photoshop)
    -some other things I can't remember right now...

most of these only pertain to using Photoshop on a Tablet PC, on a desktop I am quite satisfied with Photoshop's performance. I can (and probably) will learn to live with it, but it'd be nice to have some of these things.

3. PhotoMuis

PhotoMuis Scribbler - Standard Member

That drives me crazy too!

4. thatcomicsguy

Yeah, good points. --Especially the un-maximize bug. Also, the pallet docking insanity is annoying. --My solution has been to fight the various pallets into the most perfect configuration I could achieve and then save it. This way, when it blows apart for no good reason, I can just reload it quickly rather than wrestle it back into shape.

I do appreciate that I can now program keyboard shortcuts to my liking, though.

Oh yeah. --When I undo an action, I'd sure like it to consider a layer focus switch as a whole action rather than lump it in with the action which comes immediately after it. I've had more work flows screwed up because of that than I care to remember! I'll undo a brush stroke and then put down the correct one, but it will take place on the previous layer without my realizing it. Annoying.

5. PhotoMuis

PhotoMuis Scribbler - Standard Member

Yes, the layer focus/wrong layer problem is utterly annoying. In the history settings it is possible to define that changing the layer visibility is to be considered a full step, but sadly not the layer focus. Yet Photoshop is capable of seeing it as a full step, as can be seen when you save a workflow as an action, where selecting a different layer is listed separately from the actions before and after, so actually it should not be that difficult to implement into the history side as well! Don't know why they use different logic for saving history steps and action steps.

6. ToddingtonToons

ToddingtonToons Pen Pal - Newbie

I always find plugins a pain due to formatting my PC too often and constant office hopping. I wish I could save my plug ins somehow, maybe with CC. Some of these plugins sound so useful though! I'll definitely try out the color dock.

I can't see it mentioned but custom brush sets rock. I have been using Loish's a lot recently and absolutely love it. http://loish.deviantart.com/art/the-loish-brushset-477640124

For a good other place to look I suggest http://digitalbrushes.tumblr.com/

I also wanted to mention that I rarely use reference material and so see the reference browsing as no problem. You can import images into Photoshop if needed and pop out the window and view it anywhere if required. Photoshop is already bogged down with too much stuff in my opinion. I think it needs to be broken apart if anything. Adobe ArtShop? That would be nice.

It must be hard making a software to suit everyone!

7. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

woah. necro-posting!
    I was all, :eek: Agent 9 is back?!? and then saw the 2010...

8. thatcomicsguy

Yeah. I miss Agent 9.

It's a sad day when a good operative turns off his radio in the field.

stoneseeker and ron2k_1 like this.
  9. ToddingtonToons

ToddingtonToons Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm sorry,

I don't know much about forums I've realized now this post is really old.

Sorry again.