Photoshop plugins, tips, tricks... post your favorites!

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by Agent 9, Sep 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Photoshop is a really great program for doing digital artwork, it is not the best for everything... but it does an outstanding job for what it does(Photoshop has a trial for free BTW)

I am using Photoshop CS5 x64 on Windows 7 x64 Ultimate. The best Photoshop plugin, is a color wheel that docks in a panel, it works really well, and is free (the author says he'll accept donations as a thank you) Here is the link to the forum its on, if you have problems post there Photoshop Color Wheel (Free!) Download - ConceptArt.org Forums

Here is the latest version (That works with most Photoshop versions) http://nerdchallenge.com/lenwhite/PaintersWheel_v1.1.zip Download the zip file, extract it, and follow the instructions in the Read Me file.

It is an amazingly simple, yet powerful plugin. Especially useful in tablet mode as you can quickly change the color and hue (CS5 has a "HUD color picker" but you have to do Shift Alt and right click, it isn't dock-able, and gets in the way, so this is the best by far!)
    All credit for this plug-in goes to Len White "vorp" at conceptart.org

So now you have to post your favorite tricks, tips, and plugins... I want to hear from you! When I learn more I'll post it here. :)

NOTE: this is similar to a post of mine in a different part of the forum... please don't delete this one; the other one is OK to delete as it was in the wrong section, and didn't get seen anyways (because it was in the wrong section)... thanks for understanding.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. CaptainBorrow

CaptainBorrow Pen Pal - Newbie

Well maybe a strange tip but:
    buy N52te or G13 gaming keyboard. You can assign anything you want any way you want and it just improves workflow soo much.

I just plug it in (n52te) put tablet in slate mode and can do anything while working full screen. (which is really nice concerning its 12").

I used colorwheel on cs4 but hud cs5 color picker works well for me. (also on cs5 you can assign a shortcut to traditional color picker).

also: ctrl + alt + shift + e = flattens image to a new layer (keeps old ones)

3. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Good find! I'm going to try it out.

My own contribution some time ago was an on-screen undo button designed for Photoshop. I created it because my tablet doesn't have any of those convenient screen-tappy things which I could program to perform whatever functions I liked.

You can download or play with the button here. . .

Virtual undo button - for Photoshop

(I made it a lot easier to run some time ago. Not a brilliant move, more simply learning how the basic program could create a self-contained executable program. Just run it and it works.)

4. Agent 9

I tend to use my Tablet as a "Tablet" and don't like using my keyboard much. My Tablet also has no keys on its face (They still haven't learned :rolleyes: ), and unfortunately I've been using CS5 and they have changed things "for the stupid" (again they are not learning :rolleyes: ) ctrl-z only steps back one step and your script doesn't work either... to get around this I've been using this great little program ModLock I assign the commands "Alt-Ctrl-z" for step backward and "Shift-Ctrl-z" for step forward. there are two other free buttons to program plus the 5 already there. you can also move this anywhere on your screen.

Concerning the color picker- one little problem I encountered is that if your display isn't close to "calibrated" then the color in the picker will appear different than the "Photoshop color" (drawn color) it should be close enough to use, if not perfect...

I also have a little USB keypad that I want to re-program and get/ print stickers for the keys, something I can take with me to school, and the like without extra space/ weight. Does anyone know of a program that can re-assign a keypad's keys?:confused:

5. thatcomicsguy

Gee, I'm sorry the script won't work for you, but hey, you got Shepy's ModLock to work for you, so you're all set!

I actually wrote the script because, for some reason, ModLock wasn't returning focus back to Photoshop after I'd use it; I'd lose pressure sensitivity for the first stylus touch on the canvas. Very annoying..

You might need AutoHotKey installed to make my script run, and you might need an earlier version of Windows. (I'm on XP). Or Photoshop. (I'm on CS4). Who knows? But it sounds like you're far better off with ModLock anyway if you have it working properly.

That color wheel is pretty awesome! Though, it's weird; Photoshop has baked itself into my brain over the last decade. I'm actually more comfortable with its awkward systems than ones which make sense because I now use them almost intuitively. I kind of have a color wheel half in my head! Still, it's a great addition for people who haven't been permanently mutated like me by toxic Adobe GUIs.

Cheers!

6. Agent 9

I found this ==> Elias Fotinis DeskPins :: Make Any Window Topmost. It is great for pinning a reference photo (or two... or more) to your screen while working in Photoshop (you have to make the window's size smaller so you still have some screen space for Photoshop)

But still, when yon need to display a reference and draw, this is the best way to do so.

What secrets/ tips do the rest of you know about? Don't hold back!!!

7. PhotoMuis

PhotoMuis Scribbler - Standard Member

I like Comfort Keys Pro, you can create your own on-screen keyboard layouts (in other words, make something like ModLock but with as few or as little buttons as you wish, without having any coding skills whatsoever), reassign buttons (you probably could reprogram the keypad with it), make shortcuts, macros etc. and assign them to buttons, etc. etc. And you can change the size of the keyboard, and even of the individual buttons, put the buttons in any pattern you like...It is not freeware though, but I found the 30 Euros well worth it. It is also possible to buy it without the hotkey manager, i.e. just the configurable keyboard, then it is a tad cheaper. There is a trial period to play around with it for free.

Comfort Software: Comfort Keys - Hotkey Manager with Clipboard Manager and On-Screen Keyboard

8. Hexokinase

Hexokinase Pen Pal - Newbie

I've been using deskpins for a while - great for when I need a reference photo but I'm away from my external monitor. Photoshop should really have that as a default feature, much like artrage.

What program do you use for displaying the reference photo? I find that MSPaint (on Windows 7) can reduce to having the smallest footprint (no toolbars visible if the window is small enough). However, the zoom options in paint are quite limited (25%, 50%, 100%, 200%). Do you know of another image viewer with both a small footprint and variable zoom?

9. thatcomicsguy

When I need photo reference, I usually just bring a copy into Photoshop itself and give it its own layer and reduce its size to something which doesn't get in the way. I've been having to draw a lot of cars lately, (models from the 1980's), and I have a whole photo-influence map of different styles of automobile which I just load up as a layer and pull around as I need. It's a bit awkward, though, since images vanish off the edge of the canvas irrespective of the actual amount of available screen area.

One thing Photoshop could do with is the ability to have more than one canvas on a desktop at the same time, and not in a windowed manner, but rather as though each canvas were a sheet of paper on a desktop. That would be awesome. --Of course, you can always create one really big canvas and just keep scraps and reference images outside the area where your final artwork will be, but I find that to be a hugely inefficient use of memory and processor resources which slows things down significantly, so I never do it.

As for image programs, I like Google's "Picasa" for its fast variable zoom size and ability to skim through many images easily. For my Toshiba Tablet PC, the graphics driver has an "Always On Top" option in the context menu available for any window or program. I use that all the time. It sounds like the pin program you guys are talking about. Very useful!

10. Agent 9

Yea, I've used the "comfort" software, though it doesn't work for my tastes.

As for the program that I use to display the reference photos; I usually open up CDisplay and drag all the reference photos I need, the folder containing the photos, or a zipped file containing images. Then I pin that on top so I can easily scan through references (by double tapping on the right or left to go forward or back). Zooming is something I haven't figured out on it, but I find I don't need it (usually)

I wish there were a easier way to display reference material (it'd be a nice built in feature for Photoshop) But there is huge list of things that either need to be fixed, or added to Photoshop; and most of those come before the need for reference display.

On a side note, I haven't had the time to look into it, but if someone knows how to re-assign the keys on a usb keypad, that would be very helpful. I plan to put printed stickers, or tape labels to the keys. Thanks for any help in advance!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.