photoshop performance in tm2, the bottom line

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by tryingtolearn, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kingofmyworld324

kingofmyworld324 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey you guys are welcome to disagree. I'm just saying that the ghz do matter, despite what the marketers say. If you do get the tablet, get the max cpu.

And by "these tablets," I meant the tx2000, tx2500, tx2, and tm2. I won't deny that the tm2 is an improvement over the others but would it have hurt them to put an i3 or i5 in as an option? If they were optional, I bet you guys would have chose them instead of the ones you have now.

2. jkenny23

jkenny23 Scribbler - Standard Member

Better is subjective. Both have blazingly fast processors but no discrete graphics option that I know of. Which is totally fine if you're not doing gaming, but since I use the tm2 as my primary computer, I enjoy the ATi graphics.

I was a bit disappointed when I found that the tm2 wasn't coming with a core i-series processor, but even the 2740p sacrifices discrete graphics for the core i5/i7 processor choice. I'm sure better models will come out in time, probably before the end of the year, who knows. But for now, I think the tm2 was the best choice, certainly for the money, since my budget maxed out at about $1000.

3. Pox

Pox Pen Pal - Newbie

True, the Radeon makes the TM2 an attractive buy if you want to game every now and again - it's a great all-rounder machine. Personally I would swap it for an i7 + integrated graphics at the drop of a hat, but that's because I write, compile and run computational physics simulations a fair amount, and am happy to stick with older games when I'm out of the house.

Unfortunately, that swap would also cost me at least AU$1000... so I'm very happy with the TM2. Only reason I suggested others is because the OP is looking for a photoshop machine (CS4 only offloads a few tasks to the GPU, as mentioned earlier in this thread) and seems to have no budget.

4. seb

seb Pen Pal - Newbie

What do you mean by "Unfortunately, that swap would also cost me at least AU$1000" ? There is no tablet with core i + dedicated ati on the market

5. kingofmyworld324

6. Oliver Beyer

Oliver Beyer Scribbler - Standard Member

The TM2 is a well build alrounder. It copes perfectly with everyday work and can game better than you'd think of the little fella.

It's not the best numbercruncher. If you do a lot of video encoding or need to work large Photoshop images as fast as possible, an i5 or i7 are better. But that's like saying a Corvette is better than a Prius. Sure it's faster but what if you wanna carry some stuff on (for the lack of a better analogy to doing something else then just going fast) or are thinking about milage.

The TM2 does handle CS4 well. There are a lot of machine that handle CS4 better and noone said the TM2 is the ultimate photoshopper. I would not take the TM2 for Photoshop if it would be my daily work and if I would need to work with lots of large pictures constantly. That's not what the TM2 was made for. I do use CS4 on my TM2 occasionaly and it works well with my 12megapixel images (mostly 16bit tiff) from my D300. It takes some time here and there but I don't expect anything more from the little tablet. It's by no means unworkable or slow.

And yes, they could have built in an i5 or i7 but the cost and heat would be a question that we would face then. I can work around 7 hours with my TM2 on the road, I can work with Photoshop on occasion and I can play a game here and there after work. For me the TM2 is a well rounded as it can get.

Speaking about touch screens. Many new laptops have multitouch screens that can be used with fingers. They are not good for Photoshop though. The TM2 has that multitouch but also a proper digiziter with pressure sensitivity. And that is pure gold in Photoshop, esp. on the road.

Just to give you a comparison. When my P9500 based LG way in service, I used CS4 on my old Vaio. This one has a 2GHz T2500 and 2GB Ram. According to Passmark that T2500 is slightly slower than the SU7300. And even on the Vaio doing some occasional CS4 did work ok. It works much better on the TM2 thanks the the double amount of RAM and the fast SSD.

Would I swap the ATI for an i5 or i7? Likely, because I don't game a lot beside some older games. I'm putting the ATI to good use for some solid AA and AF filtering here. But it wouldn't bother me if it only had a GMA. On the other hand such a machine would be twice as expensive as the TM2 and simply don't see so much of a benefit to make it worthwhile.

I don't really know what you expect. The TM2 comes in at around 1000$ and it delivers a big bang for the buck in my opinion. It does nearly everything, and a lot of things surprisingly well. It runs quit and cool (really cool that is), it has a lot of stamina, it handles the everyday work with easy and it has a wonderful digitizer and it does gaming. I don't know if you'd expect it to cope as well with heavy numbercrunching as some quad cores or i7.

I don't really know what cause a comparison between a TM2 and a X201t might serve. After all the X201t is costing much more, has much less battery life (if you're not using the bulky 6-cell-battery) and is not even half as fast when it comes to potention gaming performance. The X201t and TM2 are meant for totally different audiences.

So sum it up, the TM2 is not for the hardcore photoshopper - mainly because the screen is much to small for that - nor is it for the hardcore gamer. The TM2 nails the middle ground pretty much perfectly though.

Besides that, in the future more and more tasks will be offloaded onto the GPU. You can see the benefits of that when you're using Badaboom and compare it to a conventional number cruncher on a more powerful CPU. The principle design of the TM2 (with a reasonable GPU to use when required) is the future in my eyes.

7. jkenny23

jkenny23 Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm pretty sure she said that the lag you see in the video was a problem with the video itself, and the notebook was actually running fluidly. Also might be worth mentioning that that was the SU7300/Integrated Graphics version of the laptop.

8. Oliver Beyer

Oliver Beyer Scribbler - Standard Member

Both. They stated that the lag is video related. And the machine lacks the ATI GPU - although the benefit from it is not that huge.

9. derfnoslen

derfnoslen Pen Pal - Newbie

In the benchmarks mobile tech posted they state it does give it quite a good bump in performance. Especially with graphics. I'm sure having the GPU would clear that up.

10. kingofmyworld324

Ok, I agree with that. The op wanted the bottom line on CS4 so I'm just providing info. If the ATI eliminates the lag then go for it. I don't see how the video created the lag; that just doesn't make sense to me.