photoshop performance in tm2, the bottom line

Discussion in 'HP TouchSmart TM2 (Wacom)' started by tryingtolearn, Mar 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tryingtolearn

tryingtolearn Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys,

i'm in the market for a tablet/touch screen laptop that can handle photoshop.

--------------------------------------------------
    Option 1.

HP TouchSmart TM2 (1.3-1.6GHz, ATI Radeon graphics)
    http://www.mobiletechreview.com/notebooks/HP-TouchSmart-TM2.htm

Specs:
    Display: 12.1" LED backlight HP BrightView display with Wacom active digitizer (pen-based) and capacitive touch screen supporting 2 fingers. Resolution: 1280 x 800. Has HDMI and VGA ports. Intel 4500HD integrated graphics. ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4550 graphics with 512 megs dedicated VRAM optional. If ordered with ATI dedicated graphics, the machine ships with switchable graphics so you can switch to Intel integrated graphics to reduce power consumption.

Performance and drives: CULV Intel Core 2 Duo SU7300 running at 1.3GHz standard. CULV Intel Core 2 Duo SU9600 running at 1.6GHz is optional. 4 gigs of DDR3 P-8500 RAM is standard, max is 8 gigs (has 2 SODIMM slots that are easily accessible under RAM door on the bottom of the computer). 7200 RPM drives are standard, 320 gig ships with the TM2-1070US, 160 – 500 gig drives available when built to order. Our drive was a Western Digital Scorpio Black. HP's 3D Drive Guard software is standard (parks heads when accelerometer senses sudden movement). No internal optical drive, HP sells an external USB drive from their website or you can use the USB optical drive of your choice.

Size: 11.9x 8.7 x 1.03/1.55 inches. Weight: 4.72 pounds.

Ports: 3 USB 2.0 ports, HDMI, VGA, Ethernet RJ45, 5-in-1 card reader, 3.5mm stereo headphone jack.

Networking: 10/100 Ethernet. Intel wireless WiFi 802.11b/g/n. Bluetooth optional, 3G WWAN Broadband

Benchmarks:
    PCMarks: 3580
    Memories suite: 2470
    TV and Movies suite: 2450
    Gaming suite: 2981
    Music suite: 4081
    Communications suite: 2843
    Productivity suite: 3186
    HDD test suite: 3973

--------------------------------------------------------
    Option 2.

Lenovo ThinkPad T400s:
    http://www.mobiletechreview.com/notebooks/Lenovo-ThinkPad-T400s.htm

Specs:
    Display: 14.1” diagonal widescreen LED backlight LCD display at 1440x900 native resolution, 129dpi, 200+ nit. Supports pen and 4-point touch.

Battery: 6-cell Lithium Ion rechargeable, 3.9Ah, 44Wh. Ships with 65W 100-240V AC adapter.

Performance: Intel Core 2 Duo Processor P9600 running at 2.53GHz. 4 gigs of DDR3 RAM ( gigs max) with 2 SDRAM slots.

Size: 13.2 x 9.4 x 1.1 – 1.3 inches. Weight: 3.91 pounds.

Networking: Integrated WiFi 802.11a/b/g/n, gigabit Ethernet. Bluetooth, 3G connection optional. 3 USB ports.

Drive: 120GB 5400 rpm serial ATA drive. SSD options available. DVD max dual layer drive, Ultrabay Slim.

Benchmarks:
    PCMark Suite overall score: 4586
    Memory Suite: 2743
    TV and Movies Suite: 2668
    Gaming Suite: 3373
    Music Suite: 5026
    Communication Suite: 4012
    Productivity Suite: 4670
    HDD Test Suite: 7128

------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm leaning towards the Tm2 as it allows pressure sensitivity in photoshop and has a dedicated graphics card. i'm just concerned about its CPU speed being too slow as the T400s has a 2.4 Core 2 Duo and somehow performed better at the gaming suite benchmark without the graphics card.

i think the TM2 has a passmark score of ~1000 and the T400s has one ~ 1500. What does that mean for real world applications, using 1gb large photoshop files?
    http:////www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php?t1=su4100&b1=Find+CPU

If neither of these models will do, are there any tablets can? I am compeltelty open to suggestions.

If not then i'll just bight the bullet and get an envy 15.

thanks in advance!

2. sjones411

sjones411 Pen Pal - Newbie

Does Photoshop even have GPU acceleration...? If you're worried about clock speeds, you should look into the HP 2740p or the Lenovo x201T. They've both got Core i7 / i5 chips in them. However, they're also a lot more expensive ^^;

3. nobylspoon

nobylspoon Pen Pal - Newbie

It's my understanding that CS4 does offer GPU acceleration now.

4. Oliver Beyer

Oliver Beyer Scribbler - Standard Member

I run CS4 on my TM2 with the SU7300 and ATI option. I runs quite well. Surprisingly well since I installed my Postville SSD. Photoshop like a potent scratchdisk and the SSD is just that. On top some good chunk of RAM is also welcome and 4GB are good for that too.

The raw CPU number crunching isn't that much of a bottle neck as you might expect. Applying complex filters to large RAW images (say 12megapixel NEF from my D300) takes a bit but it took a bit on my older more powerful CPU too. The general working speed with CS4 is quite good as long as you don't work with a dozen images at the same time.

Speaking of GPU support, CS4 does indeed make use of the GPU. But only for a few things like rotating the canvas etc. It's not so that CS4 uses the GPU for everything. The GPU usage is somewhat limited though and you'd gain much more with a SSD or more RAM in CS4 - it does benefit from both much more as it does from a powerful GPU.

The Lenovo is the better Photoshopper since it's CPU will speed up the complex filters. But it costs twice as much as a well put together TM2. The CPU in the Lenovo is faster, but not that much faster.

To put it in comparison, I went from a P9500 (2.53GHz Core 2 Duo) to my TM2 and my everyday work with CS4 hasn't suffered much. As said, complex filters (like Nik Software DeFine etc) that I use take a bit longer to apply. Longer, but not twice as long or anything like that. I much prefer using my TM2 because of the great Wacom digitizer that allows me to brush on filters with pressure sensitivity. On the other hand, starting CS4 is way way faster on my TM2 thanks to the Postville SSD, as is opening large images and working with them - basically everything besides the actual filte application.

On a sidenote, if you're a serious Photoshopper, the TM2 is not the perfect machine because it's screen is too small. You'd want a proper big screen as a secondary at home then. From the computing power it will handle CS4 quite well if you're not working on too many images at the same time.

5. Jonas

Jonas Pen Pal - Newbie

How is Illustrator running?

6. kingofmyworld324

kingofmyworld324 Pen Pal - Newbie

I would move on. I don't want to sound mean but I feel like the people here can't face the fact that these hp tablets are slow and hot. My 6 year old 3ghz p4 runs photoshop better than my tablet. Just sayin.

7. hyperrage

hyperrage Pen Pal - Newbie

an intel consumer ultra low voltage processor designed to have very little heat output while still giving performance is slow and hot? really? and all the testomonials from people with the actual device saying its fine, but dont expect anything blazing fast is less accurate than a person without the device in question (im assuming here, but seeing as how your answer clearly states that you have no clue as to the real performance of the machine and culv procs in general, appologies if otherwise).

and this person is giving out an answer that not only doesnt match the description of the hp tm2s heat/performance output by quite a few people already, but doesnt match the description of any other laptop with a culv proc. oh, and some well known ultra portables that are culv based are the acer timeline, the asus ul series, hp dm3 (u can config one with it), dell adamo xps (old and new), dell xt2, alienware M11x, msi x-slim line, lenovo ideapads, sony vaio t/y. and to throw in some low voltage proc based ones, mba, hp envy line, hp elitebook 2730p, and the lenovo thinkpad x200.

8. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, your information is TOTALLY WRONG if you are talking about the tm2. Slow? Runs most of the latest games at decent settings like Modern Warfare 2, Mass Effect 2, BioShock 2 etc. Hot? Never. Period. My hand will heat up the unit more than anything else when the unit is on battery.

Not to gang up on you but your post is just WRONG!;)

9. tryingtolearn

tryingtolearn Pen Pal - Newbie

thanks for the awesome reply Oliver!

I looked up your old cpu and it's 70% more powerful than the tm2's:
    Intel Core2 Duo P9500 @ 2.53GHz 1755 (compared to ~1000)

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_list.php?t1=su4100&b1

If the SSD can make that up then it looks like i am going for the SSD in that case!

Regaurding the Lenevo and HP laptops, are they touch screen? The main drawcard for the tm2 for me is the wacom screen. I just want the best tablet money can buy.

I'll probably get a clevo D900f/alienware m17x/spec'd up Envy for my workstation at home. but I want something on the road that i can take my psd's and work on them with tablet support.

Will getting the full 8GB make a big difference? or is the money better spent on a 160GB SSD?

thanks

10. Pox

Pox Pen Pal - Newbie

The TM2 is a great deal, but there are better tablets out there if money is no object - the lenovo X201t is less bulky and has a blazing-fast i7. Also consider Fujitsu - I don't know what their best model is, but they have a great reputation.