Photoshop CS6 Random Issues With Wacom Drivers?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Revenir, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Revenir

Revenir Pen Pal - Newbie

So, I had to wipe my computer due to a virus a few days ago, which brought along all the joys of reinstalling everything on my computer - including my Wacom drivers and Photoshop. The tablet is a Surface Pro 2 running Windows 8.1.

For whatever reason, every other art program I've gotten to work just fine. No issues, as far as I can tell. But Photoshop? If I hit the new layer button with my tablet pen, it won't work and when I try to use the brush tool, then it won't recognize strokes, just random dots. But even if I use only the mouse to add a new layer, the tablet will just randomly cut out. Then it's the same thing - no matter how hard I press or how softly, no matter the angle of the strokes, it all just comes out as a single dot. The only solution I can find to get it working again is to go to the Wacom Feel driver settings and mess with the pen settings a bit. When I apply the change, for whatever reason, it brings the sensitivity back (Edit: I've been experimenting, and minimizing then maximizing the window seems to work too). But if I have to do that constantly for something is simple as a layer change, there's no way I can use Photoshop properly.

I've tried messing with the drivers, but I don't honestly know what I'm doing. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Wacom Feel driver multiple times and it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Does anyone have any advice?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  2. thatcomicsguy

thatcomicsguy Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

It's probably not a driver issue, since all your other software is working correctly.

If I had to guess, I'd say it's probably that touchy PS Preferences file. -It can easily get corrupted and when it does, will create some truly weird GUI issues, not unlike what you describe.

There are dozens of articles about this on the web, and fortunately, a couple of easy ways to fix it.

Good luck!

3. Revenir

Revenir Pen Pal - Newbie

So, I think I may have found the problem! I tried experimenting with the program and found that I couldn't select tools with my tablet pen, either - instead, it would open up that side menu when you switch out the tools. That's something that usually only happens with a right click with the mouse, so I'm thinking Photoshop was, for whatever reason, treating my pen as doing only right clicks. I had disabled the click and hold for right clicks, but when I re-enabled that and set it to being super long in duration, it seems to have fixed the problem.

Thank you for the help, though! I'll have to remember the preferences file if I have any future Photoshop-related issues.

thatcomicsguy likes this.