Photographer/Artist looking for a SP2 replacement, or: Should I get a Galaxy Flex 13

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by reversible, Jun 24, 2020.

1. reversible

reversible Pen Pal - Newbie

I may have answered my own question already, but just to be sure...?

General Questions.

1. What is your budget?
    Less is better.

2. Would you consider purchasing used/refurbished?
    Sure.

3. Do you prefer a media/mobile tablet like the iPad, Windows tablet PC, or notebook convertible?
    I'm used to the Surface form factor, and love the idea of a Bluetooth-on-demand keyboard like the Zbook X2, but I know the options have been limited.

4. What size Tablet PC would you prefer?
    • 5 to 7-inches
    • 7.1 to 10-inches
    • 10 to 13-inches
    • Above 13-inches
    Smaller please, for portability.

5. Which country do you intent to purchase from [where do you live]?
    USA.

6. Do you have any preferences to brand loyalty or dislikes?
    No. As long as things work, and stay working.

7. How many hours battery life do you require?
    As many as possible. My SP2 gets two.

8. What will be the primary usage scenario of this tablet? (Email/Web Surfing/Drawing/Word Processing/Entertainment/Notetaking etc)
    Primary: Photography Photoshop/Capture One,
    Secondary: Drawing, Video editing Illustrator, Drawing, Premiere Pro

9. Do you have an OS preference? For example, do you own an iPhone and a Mac, or are you a Windows fan? Do you own an Android device and use Google services frequently?
    Windows.

10. What software and tasks do you intend to run? (Microsoft Office or other Word Processing Suite/Photoshop/3D Studio Max/Autocad etc)
    Photoshop/Capture One, Illustrator, Clip Studio, Premiere Pro

11. Do you intend on playing Games? If so please list.
    No.

12. Would you like to stream content through your home theater system?
    Sure.

Screen Specifics

1. Any preference on screen resolution?
    1080p, minimum.

2. Will you be using the tablet outdoors? Do you need to be able to see it through glare from the sun?
    Would be nice to be able to.

3. Do you require a pen? With or without pressure sensitivity? Do you prefer Wacom EMR, AES or N-trig?
    EMR FOR LIFE.

Component Specifics

1. What size Hard Drive and Memory do you require? Would you like expandable memory?
    The more the merrier.

2. What sort of inputs do you require, if any? Would you like full-sized USB and SD card slots? Are microUSB and microSD ok? Do you require HDMI inputs?
    At minimum, microSD and USB-C, USB-A,SD, and HDMI would be nice, but I don't expect it.

Misc
    Basically I've been using my SP2 for...at least five years now? And haven't upgraded because there hasn't been a single machine with a decent combination of portable size, EMR, consistent performance, and decent reviews. The Surface Pros (and the new new ConceptD 3 Ezel) have all been N-Trig, the Switch 7 was a failure, the Zbook is huge and a hassle. The Galaxy Book Flex 13 seems like the closest thing, but the 8GB of RAM is exceedingly disappointing...but I think I can deal with it?

Should I keep waiting for the perfect device, or just go for it? Thanks all.

2. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

There will never be a perfect device, if there was we'd all have it.

As far as recent EMR devices go, the Flex 13 I think would be your best bet, ram limitations be damned.

It will be a larger footprint then your Pro 2, but keep in mind given the bezel reduction on the top and sides, it may be a 13-incher but its really more in the 11/12 inch device size range. And given its relative thinness and weight, the footprint aside, its weight and thinness should make it roughly equivalent to the Pro 2 in how much backpack space it takes up.

3. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Did you look at the Galaxy Book 12"? It has very portable slate form-factor with EMR.

(Note: unfortunately, like the Switch 7, it does not take the Wacom Feel drivers, however @Piton812 made an AutoHotkey script which you can use to customize the side-switch function.)

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  4. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

thatcomicsguy likes this.
  5. reversible

reversible Pen Pal - Newbie

The spec list on that looks very good, but am I at fault for just not finding that one aesthetically appealing? I know it's a really dumb thing to get hung up on - despite its clear advantage in specs - but it's just so boringly anonymous and looks like a much older machine than it is. It's also a little bigger than I'd prefer, and sharing the same pen as my phone is a nice bonus.
    Didn't know that existed, looks pretty cool! But if I can get that N9Pro for the same price, then at least between those two there's a pretty obvious winner.
    Yeah, looking at the dimensions it's not far off from the SP2. But it still is disappointing that my 7-year-old device has the same amount of RAM. And (at least numbers-wise) my 2-year-old phone has more. Still, it looks like the best bet for the foreseeable future, unless I wait around for a next-gen model. Which will probably just be continuing to wait forever. Will the rest of the hardware be able to compensate for the memory deficiency so as to not slow me down and last a few years?

Thanks, who would have thought Samsung would basically be the class leader in penabled computing devices in 2020...