Personal review of stylus for Venue 8 Pro

Discussion in 'Dell' started by bugelrex, Jan 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bugelrex

bugelrex Scribbler - Standard Member

Time for some positive comments on the stylus.

Bought tablet in early December, stylus since late December

- read all early reviews of stylus, was shocked and expected the worst
    - Stylus arrived, luckily it didnt have any immediate major hardware flaws I could notice
    - initial thoughts was Mmmmm, seemed just OK. Then I noticed the hover click 2 or 3 times a day. required me to unscrew the battery to reset
    - at the time, I thought it was 'barely' usable due to tails and the random hover click
    - since the last firmware update, definitely better
    - tails pretty much gone, hover click still occurs 2 or 3 tiimes a day, but this time I can apply a little pressure on the nib and it seems to reset itself. Firmware seemed to help reset when I apply some pressure.. not sure how??

* I can write for 30-40 mins non-stop without encountering the hover click, if it does occur I just press nib against the screen and goes about.
    * battery life is disappointing, but I suspect its related to hover click. If the pen is idle and it goes to hover click I think it then starts to drain as its acting as constant writing.
    * dead spots around the edges of screen.. annoying
    * having to unscrew pen each and everytime I stop using the pen

If Dell can fix the battery issue and totally eliminate the hover clicks (i only get 2 or 3 times a day). This is very acceptable, I find the pen v accurate and can write very small. The only downside will be 'what is the real battery life' no silo to place pen... still have to 'manage' the pen instead of knowing is 100% always available and reliable

I suspect the 'new' pen will simply be the 'old' pen with the factory reliabilities resolved.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  2. Mikerman

Mikerman Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I think that people would be moderately happy with that . . . .

3. BaritoneGuy

BaritoneGuy Pen Pal - Newbie

I know that I would be happy. Just wish we knew when.

4. RazzNuts

RazzNuts Scribbler - Standard Member

Thanks a bunch for posting this. Helps me decide whether I should pick Venue with Stylus.

Say.. if you were to unscrew the pen each and everytime you finished using it, what kind of battery life do you get?

5. bugelrex

bugelrex Scribbler - Standard Member

I've been doing this for 2 weeks now (20 mins pen usage a day)... still going strong. But i unscrew it 'every single time' its not in use.
    My first battery lasted 4 weeks without unscrewing, second battery lasted a week when I only occasionally unscrewed it.

Instead of unscrewing, I just put a small ball of paper to between the battery and take it out each time.

If I had to do this again, I would wait until the wacom asus is available and do a side by side comparison (compare screen, weight, battery life)

6. Chirp

Chirp Pen Pal - Newbie

If anyone is interested I just purchased a new stylus from Dell for around $40-$50. I forget the exact amount.

It's due any day now and I will post the results. Hopefully i'ts the latest version and I will make sure my tablet firmware etc. is up to date.

I use Office a lot and if I can check those tiny little checboxes in some of the programs like Word and Access, and if it writes smoothly and consistantly I'll be happy with it.

I have read in some of the other posts about 'hover click.' I'm not sure what that is but if the new stylus does it I'm sure I'll notice and report on it.

7. hdfan23

hdfan23 Pen Pal - Newbie

I called in about the stylus about a month ago, they promised a replacement, kept bugging them through email. just got one today although it appears it's the stylus for the Dell XPS 11 but it works on the Venue 8 Pro. However one post I read says it still has battery life issues which was my problem with the Venue 8 Pro original stylus. When it worked, it worked great but wouldn't last more than a couple days of fairly light use. It appears if you keep the pen away from the tablet, the pen lasts much longer, if you keep it on the stylus holder, that is what appears to drain the stylus battery.

8. Modred189

Modred189 Scribbler - Standard Member

I've been unscrewing the cap on my pen a few turns, and storing it in the holder, and it seems to have solved the battery drain issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.