Perfecting pen tip feel for art

Discussion in 'The Tablet PC Life' started by leaftye, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. freedomeagle

freedomeagle Pen Pal - Newbie

One of the things I found frustrating about Tablet PCs was that I could never replicate the pen feel of my Cintiq 15X exactly. The input on tablet PCs often seemed a bit binary - there were 256 levels of pressure, but the gap between 1 and 256 is not enormous if you're using the Wacom driver! I like to lean in a little and even on the high settings it was a case of thin line thin line FAT LINE!

However, in trying to solve an unrelated issue, I found the Pen Tablet diagnostics panel! You press CTRL and "About" on the Pen Tablet Properties control panel and you get a whole new screen. Bottom right is a dropdown called "pressure offset" and if you experiment with cranking that up slowly in conjunction with adjusting the pressure sensitivity, you can get a nice pressure curve. It even gives you a numerical readout of your current pressure so you can tailor it, and it's realtime so you can doodle in the TIP, switch it up a bit, doodle again.

To get a feel like my Cintiq (and my old Intuos2) on its middle pressure setting, I set the pressure sensitivity to the second highest setting (on the right of the slider, that is) and set the pressure offset to 8.

I have a feeling the best setting varies from tablet to tablet but this made drawing varied, subtle lines a lot easier. Please let me know if this helps!

2. adam.mt

adam.mt Super Moderator Senior Member

Wow! Useful tip. Have to try it sometime (using stock driver at the moment not Wacom).

3. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

I'll have to try this too. The abrupt increase in pressure is why I much prefer using my Wacom Cross pen for drawing....the stock pen is just to hard to control a smooth transition between soft and hard.

4. frog

frog Scribbler - Standard Member

Sorry for the initial reply! Was in response to another thread.

That's a great tip, thanks for sharing it.

5. kruzilla

kruzilla Scribbler - Standard Member

Maybe this is a silly question but I am severely lacking in tech skills so what exactly does the 'pressure offset' do?

6. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

I still need to play around with my settings a little more to get a better understanding of the effect the offset changes are really making, but at the very least I've modified my pen feel to be more gradual to provide an experience that's more like using a pencil. It's been driving me crazy that it was so hard to transition between writing softly to writing hard. Now it seems much better.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.