People really need to stay away from the tx1000 (tx1000 vs T2010)

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by 3quent, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Singuy

Singuy Pen Pal - Newbie

I recently got the Tx1000 basic configured with touch screen and the basic configured Fujitsu T2010 in the mail.

After playing around with the Tx1000, I don't know how some of you guys can tolerate it.

The Tx1000 has a grainy screen that is NOT viewable under direct sunlight at all.

The up/down viewing angles in landscape mode are HORRIBLE! This tablet cannot function in portrait mode because of this. Everything looks very washed out. Side to Side viewing angles are decent in landscape mode.

I also don't understand how this tablet defaults to the 4 cell battery as standard while the 6 cell battery making the back sticks out. The 6 cell battery only provides me with 2:30 hours of usage! That's standard for a laptop these days! Who on earth will purchase the 4 cell knowing this?!!

The DVD drive is modular which is cool, but it saves you like 4 ounces while the entire notebook weighs almost 5lbs with the 6 cell.

I am not even going to talk about the penning experience since I can't even find the screen recalibration software. (it's suppose to be under control, mobile pc, but I can't find it on this computer...found it on the T2010).

The only redeeming factor is that I only paid 820 for the notebook due to using a really nice coupon. I wouldn't spend 1200 (MSRP) dollars on this "tablet" if there are other options out there. And because you can't really use this notebook as a tablet...then why not buy a 15.4 inch laptop for 499? There are plenty of cheap laptops weighing 5.5lbs but cost half as much.

The T2010 from fujitsu, costing 1428 from newegg works like a dream. Bright screen, tremendous viewing angles (top - down, side to side, it doesn't matter...the screen looks the same from all angles). It's 3.5lb and the battery can last me 5.5 hours. It's also viewable under direct sunlight even with the indoor screen option!

The Tx just ends up giving me a headache...it's going back to HP.

2. wintermutt

wintermutt Pen Pal - Newbie

this laptop is perfect for me!
    the problems you are having with the screen calibration are either
    1. an inability to find the calibration software
    2. you need a BIOS update.
    to do the BIOS update go to the HP website.
    the BIOS update solved ALL my problems, turned it into the best laptop i can find.

3. Singuy

Singuy Pen Pal - Newbie

Most of the problems I stated above has nothing to do with the penning experience. I doubt a bios update can fix the short battery life, the weight of the laptop, and the crappy viewing angle of the screen.

4. Spare Tire

Spare Tire Scribbler - Standard Member

Hand writing is impossible with touchscreens. I had a fujitsu B2600 if i remember the model number well. It was impossible, if you lift your pen for a second you'll never be able to realign with where you left off.
    But touchscreen is just awesome for navigation. You point with your finger. I wish i had one of those multitouch thinkpads that have both wacom and touchscreen.

5. zunq

zunq Scribbler - Standard Member

Well singuy you took the words right out of my mouth, I agree with every word you said. I have the same T2010 from newegg and I've seen the TX1000 at compusa. The screen on the TX touchscreens are HORRIBLE, out of this world in a bad way. I don't know why they had to put grain on there, I mean they should have made it clear like PDA touchscreens. The grain on the T2010 is not the best either but it's removable and I would still not remove it because it does a good job removing glare and smudges.

6. kotsos

kotsos Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the tx1000z and I am very happy. I am not facing the touchscreen problem like a lot of people argue. I am using the laptop every day for presentations in my class ( I teach at university level) and it works perfectly. I also have a tc1100 compaq with an active digitizer. TO be honest I prefer the touchscreen to the active digitizer because I think it resembles real pen writing better. With the active digitizer the smallest touch registers, where with the touchscreen you actually have to press down to do so. For some this is a problem, for me it is a nice feature to have.

Just thought that you guys could hear from someone who is actually pleased with the tx.

7. gordoncahill

gordoncahill Scribbler - Standard Member

me too. and i also have an active digitiser tablet to compare it to.

Gordon

8. ogym76

ogym76 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi All,
    I am very beginner in this tablet area.
    Please tell me how can I use or turn on my touch screen because when I touch the surface of the window it does not react to my touch.
    I bought my tablet pc (pavilion tx1000z) in this month with touchscreen feature but it does not work!
    I did not find anything of solving the problem in the instruction.
    I hope someone can help me,
    thank you
    Gyorgy

9. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

What OS do you have running on your machine?

The Touchscreen should work straight out of the box.... You shouldn't need to do anything other than switch on the Tablet PC and use the screen.

10. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Try pressing a little harder... my experience with most retail-outlet passive-screen displays indicates that much pressure is needed (like pressing down a sticker, NOT like trying to poke a hole in it!). Maybe I've just been spoiled too much by active digitiser displays. Oh, try using your fingernails instead of the finger surface, it might help too.