Pen writes just above screen

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Xrta201, Sep 15, 2010.

1. Xrta201

Xrta201 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey i've had my x201 tablet for about 6 days now, one thing that i've noticed that really bothers me is that my pen for some reason will write on the screen without it actually touching the screen.

This is a problem because i bought this notebook for taking notes in university and when i reach a certain area on my screen my letters start to get "messy" because even though i've lifted the pen, it still reconizes for a split second that the pen is in contact with the screen and adds "tails" to the end of my strokes.

I am also able to hover the tip of my pen about half a millimeter from the screen and it will recognize it as a stroke and produce a line WITHOUT the styles physically contacting the screen. I have on order a photodon antiglare screen protector hoping that it will add the nessesary extra thickness to the screen to compensate for this but this is very upsetting for a $2200 machine =( I also have the screen hinge wobble =(

i would really like another solution other then "send it back" as classes have started and i do not have time to send it back. what i am wondering is if this happens to anyone else or is there some sort of calibration that i can do that can remedy this.

On another note, i ordered a new x200 tablet hinge from ebay, i know the FRU numbers between the X201t and X200's hinges are different but i guess i will find out if the two are physically different when i try to swap it in.

2. Stan S.

Stan S. Scribbler - Standard Member

If you go into the Pen & Mouse settings from the Control Panel you can turn the sensitivity down, which should help. If you have not done so, you should calibrate the pen, too. You can use the Win7 search for additional details.

OT: Funny, someone insisted that this wasn't mechanically possible in one of the 'what do I buy' threads a couple weeks ago, when I said that I know that this happens, and that I had seen it on my daughter's unit....http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/wha...4333-tablet-pc-art-fantasyart.html#post195328

3. Krelian

Krelian All about the T5010/T900

=P
    It's probably an issue with your pen/nib.
    The way Wacom technology works the tablet surface detects and determines your pen position.
    The pen nib has to touch an internal switch to register lines.
    [​IMG]
    It's not unheard of for a nib to push too deep/hard into the switch so that it's always on and drawing when in the proximity of the tablet surface.
    Wacom pen draws when not touching pad - PHWinfo
    Try removing and reinserting or replacing your nib or borrow/test a spare pen.
    It's mechanically possible but only if something (usually the pen) is acting out of spec.
    It's not supposed to happen and Wacom never intended it to happen.

4. Xrta201

Xrta201 Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks Krelian, i will give that a try when i get home, as i DID play with the tip when i first got the tablet on the weekend. In the mean time i was able to download wacom's tablet utility, and it has a "sensitivity" adjustment from "soft" to "firm" I have it all the way over to firm and it has temporary remedied the situation.

A note to people attempting to install the newest "beta" drivers from wacom, the rotation of the screen makes the stylus act funny almost inverted, up is down and left is right. Apparently other people have this problem too, after some aggressive googling i was able to find the previous tablet PC drivers that seem to work with the rotation on the X201, the filename is "PenTablet_506-6.exe" <-- google it if you are having a hard time synchronizing up the rotation with the pen.

5. endlessvoid

endlessvoid Pen Pal - Newbie

While you're completely right about this being one potential cause of the hover-click problem, I can't help but wonder if it's the only one.

See, I just bought a thinkpad x201 tablet a few weeks ago. The pen had this exact issue, so I figured, get a new pen and it should be fixed, right? Nope. I contacted the company and they shipped me a new pen right away, but when I got it... same issue. I've tried replacing & cleaning both pen-nibs out, no change.

I suppose I could have gotten 2 broken pens from a bad batch. But really? What are the odds. Plus, I know it's not a problem with the digitizer inside the tablet, because it works fine when I use the pen from an old x41 tablet I have laying around, no hover-click at all.

Any other expertise to offer on this problem? I'm pulling out hair trying to figure out whats wrong with this tablet.

6. Stan S.

Stan S. Scribbler - Standard Member

You could go and inspect the Pen & Touch software settings.

7. insonifi

insonifi Pen Pal - Newbie

I have the exact same issue on my unit. I initially installed Linux on it, as it has different driver, it is definitely relates to some hardware issues. I've discusses this with Linux driver developers and they inclined it is a pen issue. I tried HP tm2's pen it was the same. Eventually I bought an Axiotron Studio Pen, which behaved similarly. So no luck with that.

In Windows you can install Fujitsu Dual touch drivers v 5.11-1. It manages this somehow to a usable degree, but still problem persists, and I can't distinguish if it is a problem with just my PC (as understand most Lenovo X201) or it is the case with Wacom digitizer installed TabletPC's of every vendor.

Today I'll go to a dealer shop to test as many vendors as they have there.

8. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

maybe someone who is seeing this issue, can try doing a fresh install of Windows 7, and check (Windows Journal is built in) if it is still doing the same thing -even before drivers are installed system wide. Then start installing drivers (starting with the Fujitsu/ Wacom driver) and see if one of them is causing the problems.

Win 7 has its own Tablet PC drivers built right into it, but they aren't the greatest.

9. Christo

Christo Pen Pal - Newbie

Man, about 7 years later and I have the same issue with a Vaio Z Canvas. Any of you guys still around have come across a solution?