Pen tracking issues in T4210 along the edges

Discussion in 'Fujitsu' started by okashira, Dec 21, 2006.

1. bgstewar

bgstewar Pen Pal - Newbie

It's been mentioned once in another blog, but I wanted to address the pen tracking issue along the edges of the T4210 screen. It's a really annoying problem and seems to be quite common. My notes during class have to have about a half inch buffer around all the edges or else the writing is illegible (just the sides it seems). What can be done about this problem? I had a friend who sent her 4020 back to Fujitsu 6 times for this problem and there was nothing they could do about it because it kept happening. Anyone know anything about this? I think it's a manufacturer defect in all their tablets, so I don't know that there's a solution, but it's extremely annoying nonetheless. Anyone else having this problem?

2. Albior

Albior Pen Pal - Newbie

I can't really say since I got it 4 days ago but mine has only, say, about 2mm near the edge where the recognition isn't so good. I also noticed that the original pen has a better range than my Cross executive pen.

3. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Do you have a screen protector placed on the tablet?
    This can have the disadvantage of giving screen errors.

One thing though I have noted is that the European Fujitsu Siemen T4210 differs from the rest of the world Fujitsu's T4210.
    One such area is the screen hwere what complaints have come out have so far only appeared from outside the European FSC.
    Off Topic but the FSC T4210 does have slightly different hardware items; as in the wifi Atheros chip and different hard drive and battery manufacturer to name but three.

4. okashira

okashira Scribbler - Standard Member

My t4210 'did' it. It's very frustrating and annoying. I say did because it's in Fujitsu's hands now. I sent it off to them last monday (9 days ago) to fix that very problem. The tech said it was not normal.

I bought the system based on anecdotes here and Barry's review where he clearly says there are no pen tracking issues around the borders. Also P8RSON is adamant that his FSC unit is issue-free.

Ive tested two machines and they both do the same thing. It's very repeatable and *never* goes away.

I hope your joking about the 6 times thing. they never offered a refund?

Sorry if I sound disconcerted, it's just that it's not nice having bought a 1600 laptop for school and not beable to use it (its been out of my hands longer then in my hands since I bought it.)

5. okashira

P8RSON, the machine at Fry's that I tried had no screen protector and the problem was there in full force.
    I've removed the SP from my unit as well and the problem does not dissapate at all.

6. bgstewar

bgstewar Pen Pal - Newbie

Actually, my friend DID get a refund after the 6th return. She was so upset about the whole thing that she ditched the tablet idea altogether - too bad they can't work out these quirks yet...

In all honesty, I think the Fujitsus have tracking issues in all their models. They may say it's not normal, but I guarantee the problem will not be fixed by Fujitsu. It's got to be a normal "defect" that is there...forever...

7. P8RSON

If that were the case it would be financial ruin for Fujitsu as information such as this would be around the world quicker than you can say "my fujitsu has a problem".

One things for certain......
    My Fujitsu Siemens T4210 has no such problem.
    I have two more coming at the end of the week. These will be a differrent batch to the one I already have.

8. okashira

Hmmm.. well I made it very clear that the pen tracking is unaccaptable and I require it to be fixed. I even included examples and a video on the desktop of the machine for the tech to look at. So we will see what happens

9. P8RSON

...and very interested I am to hear how you get on with Fujitsu.

10. alaren

alaren Pen Pal - Newbie

Interesting. I actually noted "tracking problems" mostly along the right and left edges of my T4210 while taking notes the other day.

After a bit of fiddling, I realized that I never have the issue when I'm holding the pen more or less perpendicular to the screen, but when for whatever reason I have the pen at a fairly extreme angle relative to the screen, the tracking gets off at the edges. I'm sure some people hold their pens like that all the time though.