Pen & Touch stop responding

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by kwg06516, Jul 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kwg06516

kwg06516 Pen Pal - Newbie

So the pen and touch screen have stopped responding. I can't get them back without restarting the machine, which really sucks if I don't have the BT keyboard handy and lose all my work.

Why does this happen?
    Why does it seem to be happening more often?
    How do I get them running again without forcing a shutdown?
    I know about using the flip but that doesn't always work.

2. coldpenguin

coldpenguin Scribbler - Standard Member

Have you tried suspend? Might bring it back. I found that on a couple of occasions, the calibration went awful, suspend and awake reset the driver and all was ok. Note, the cause of thre miscalibration appeared to be hibernation. My power button is set as the default action, suspend.

3. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

If you still on bios 401..then you should upgrade with caution.

remove your power saving for pen and touch along the usb hubs.

4. bedchevy

bedchevy Pen Pal - Newbie

Changing the screen orientation has worked for me in the past.

5. AllenPapapetrou

AllenPapapetrou Scribbler - Standard Member

I've had them stop responding as well. My theory is a queue lockup when the EP121 can't process a current touch because of queued touchs.

Pushing the Power button twice has always solved it for me. First, blacks the screen and second returns to Locked User screen and touch works again...

Seems like coldpenguin are doing the same thing?

Allen

6. coldpenguin

coldpenguin Scribbler - Standard Member

Yup, that is what I am doing. Hasn't happened frequently enough for me to diagnose an issue. I think it could be a driver issue, as a couple of times the calibration has completely failed, to be fixed by the same action.

7. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

I have only one light freeze -10 seconds in last two months with firefox browser.. Windows update was working in the background

8. Rob_Oppie

Rob_Oppie Pen Pal - Newbie

Pen and Touch Pause Issues

There are two similar but different issues:

Problem #1 - just pen tap fails - Even though you keep tapping on a button (or whatever) nothing happens-it will not register the click. The pen's curser keeps tracking fine but tapping (on that item or any item in that Window) does not work. However, clicking on another Window and returning to the first window seems to temporarily fix it. Also switching to finger touch input and back seems to temporarily fix it.

Problem #2 - all pen and touch input stops working - no tapping, no tracking, no nothing. To get it to work again you can use the power switch to sleep and restart the Slate.

Problem # 1 (just pen tap fails) can be made better by installing the latest EETI driver from Windows Update. It is listed as an optional update. Seems to improve problem #1 but not fix it. Also after installing it, I saw more double slap i.e. a single click on an icon and the program launched more then once - this seemed to get better with time, but pen tap fail problems seemed to get worse with time (sigh).

Something new:

Since I was still getting a lot of pen tap fail problems I tried something different. I disabled the "HID-compliant mouse" device located "on EETI PCAP MultiTouch Digitizer". This appears to have fixed my "pen tap fails" problem completely! And I see no down side, that is, everything still works the same as before - except I get no "pen tap fails" problems. My guess is that the two HID-compliant mouse drivers were duplicating functionality and interfering with each other. (If needed, you can easily re-enable this driver - just hit Enable instead of Disable. But I don't think you will want to).

To disable this driver, go to Control Panel. Click "Mouse" and select the Hardware tab.
    In the list, select the "HID-compliant mouse" item whose Location is "on EETI PCAP MultiTouch Digitizer" (look at the "Location:" line, do NOT select the "on Wacom Pen"; do select the "on EETI PCAP MultiTouch Digitizer" line). Click on the Properties button. Click on the "Change settings" button. Select the Driver tab. Click the Disable button. OK out of everything.
    Just to be sure this took effect, I rebooted.

Let us know if this works for you.

Problem #2 (all pen and touch stops working) appears to be caused by the power saving routines turning off the pen and touch devices. There are two ways to tell the power saving routines to not turn them off. Probably the best way is to go to the Control Panel/Device Manager then open the list under "Human Interface Devices"
    - then right click "EETI PCAP MultiTouch Digitizer" and select Properties.
    Then select the "Power Management" tab and uncheck "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power."
    - Then do the same to the "Wacom Pen" device also listed under "Human Interface Devices".

The other way to do this is to tell the Power Options/Advanced settings to not power off any USB device (the pen and touch devices are connected to an internal USB bus) - but I recommend the above method.

9. kwg06516

kwg06516 Pen Pal - Newbie

I've never had problem 1 as you describe it, but now that you mention it, all the times I had problem 2 were probably in battery mode. Thanks, and I
    ll give your suggestion a try.

On occasion I've had just the touch feature fail, and as others have suggested rotating the screen or putting it to sleep usually brought it back.

10. ALN

ALN Pen Pal - Newbie

rob- thanks a lot for your detailed explanation. i really like my EP121 but i run into problem #2 on a frequent basis when waking the computer up from sleep. i disabled the power management of the digitizer and pen... here's to hoping it works! ALN

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.