Pen Tools Grayed out in OneNote

Discussion in 'OneNote, Evernote and Organizers' started by aztekxero, Nov 16, 2009.

1. aztekxero

aztekxero Pen Pal - Newbie

I've heard of some other people having this problem but I have yet to find a solution.

I originally had OneNote 2007 installed on my Lenovo x200t (Windows 7 x64) and everything was working fine. Then, all of a sudden, I load up OneNote and all of the pen tools are grayed out. I can still use the pen but I can't change the color or select other pens.

I tried installing OneNote 2010 technical preview and I have the exact same problem. I also ran a repair from the install menu and that did nothing.

The pen works fine in other programs such as Journal.

Any help would be great. Thanks!

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

have you disabled anything in in msconfig? had you installed new software when the problem occured...honestly it might a hard problem to pinpoint. I hate to say it but the time you spend troubleshooting, it might be easier to just backup and reinstall :eek:

3. aztekxero

Damn, that is what I feared...

I use the laptop at school and I am almost positive that the problem happened during the middle of the day (I didn't install anything beforehand).

4. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. aztekxero

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. miketwo

miketwo Pen Pal - Newbie

Don't reinstall. I had the same problem. It turns out if you spaz while trying to paste something and you hit Windows Key + V, it disables the pens.

Just hit Windows Key + V again to re-enable.

*edit* Just realized I'm 2 years too late with this post... :p

7. ryanc

ryanc Pen Pal - Newbie

miketwo - THANK YOU !!!

I don't know how you figured that out

Not too late for me (or the other posters either probably - where did you get 2 yrs from? Maybe at the Member Since date? I do that all the time.)

So Win+V is the new and completely undocumented mystery keyboard shortcut in Win7 that makes my screen temporarily go black in most programs, but in OneNote it disables changing the pen width and pen color. Brilliant feature M$! :rolleyes:

8. Teddy911

Teddy911 Pen Pal - Newbie

miketwo, you are a life saver!!! Not two years too late, just in time. =D
    Out of 3 PC forums and MS's support page, you are the only one who knew how to fix the problem. Thanks so much!
    Thanks so much.

9. ScubaX

ScubaX Level 90 Mage Senior Member

Mine is completely grayed out, no pen at all. The windows+v does not work for me. The pen works fine in journal, inkseine and artrage.:(

10. ScubaX

ScubaX Level 90 Mage Senior Member

OK, so I decided to check my other tablet, same issue. The one thing in common was installing and uninstalling TEO. I uninstalled TEO on both because I was getting out of range errors on both. So some aspect of TEO's uninstall disabled pens in ON. Inking still works in Word.