PEN settings...

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by daveyd007, May 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daveyd007

daveyd007 Pen Pal - Newbie

I performed a search and couldn't find anything related to my question.

While I can scroll up and down my web browser (firefox) with my finger, is there a setting somewhere that will enable me to do this using the pen too?

2. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

no settings needed.just use pen to flick..

3. daveyd007

lol....I'd prefer a little more precise control than flicking the screen. Besides that, flicking doesn't always work, and when it does, everything in the way gets highlighted & scrolling is 'jittery.'

Are there any other options, or is this per se' a 'defect' of the eee-slate?

4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...is this per se' a 'defect'...>>

...No, it's not a defect; it's the intended operation of the UI.

Bear in mind that, at their root, pen and touch are not intended to be identical to each other; they're intended to be complementary... each one doing what it does best with a limited region of overlapping functionality between them...

5. kamikaze458

kamikaze458 Scribbler - Standard Member

I used chrome, with the touch plugin enabled. This plugin has three modes, that can be switchable very easily:

1-touch off.
    2.automatic--> it tries to recognize when you want to scroll, and when you want to select text. really accurate indeed.
    3.full touch--> you cant select text. In this mode i used the pen to scroll pages. If i needed to select some text, i just hit the plugin button (which is a very tiny icon built-in the UI) and switch the mode.

Perhaps it helps. I dont use firefox.

6. daveyd007

@ steve-

aaaah, ok. Makes sense. Complimentary- that it is. The EP-121 makes me a tablet virgin. Thanks for the brief explanation Steve.

7. daveyd007

I'll have to check out google chrome or see if firefox has an available plugin too. Thanks for sharing some great ideas kamikaze. Cheers! :)

8. kurt_hectic

kurt_hectic Scribbler - Standard Member

9. daveyd007

Excellent find! Looks like i'll be switching to Opera (Winfrey) for Tablets. Thank you very much Kurt! :)

The tablet version might be just for the andriod os...will read up on it.

10. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Firefox -use 'grab and drag' extension, it will read any pointer type and allow panning around when you 'click' and hold to pan around; has a great double click feature that will temporarily disable it allowing text selection/ link clicking

Chrome -use 'Chrome touch' it is similar to grab and drag, except you have 3 'settings' that you switch between by clicking the icon next to the navigation bar

Opera -does anybody know where a decent extension is for it? I haven't found one; interesting thing is it has a 'built in navigation tool' that activates when holding a right click, very interesting, and worth a look, but it isn't what I need

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.