Pen Screen Calibration Issues ... Test?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Pioneer, Feb 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pioneer

Pioneer Scribbler - Standard Member

I'm noticing when using a pen the calibration within about an inch of the bottom of the screen suddenly is offset by 1/2 inch or so?

2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...I'm noticing when using a pen the calibration within about an inch of the bottom of the screen suddenly is offset by 1/2 inch or so?..>>

Pioneer: After attempting several custom calibrations (that actually made tracking worse), I have returned to the factory calibration every time. With the factory cal set, my pen tracks within ~2 millimeters all around the edges of the screen and into the corners. Some offset due to pen tilt is evident. Based on another member's comment, I am looking carefully at the tracking accuracy of my Wacom Bamboo Feel pen; the claim is that the Feel pen provides more accurate tracking (less tilt effect?). I have not developed any firm opinions on this, yet.

Are you using the factory calibration or your own custom calibration?

3. Mesosphere

Mesosphere Geek. Senior Member

Did the "100 point" calibration help you at all?

4. Pioneer

Pioneer Scribbler - Standard Member

When I posted I was referring to the factory cal.

Then I found this post with a enhanced calibration pattern here ...http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/microsoft/55363-helpful-hints-tips-3.html#post313876

It seemed to help, around the bottom where I had the major concern.
    I think its the tilt of the pen, seems very sensitive around the bottom for me\.
    I have to be careful when calibrating to hold the pen as I would in actual use.

5. ChadM

ChadM Pen Pal - Newbie

No matter what calibration method I use the cursor on the screen is always offset in relation to the pen tip. It seems as if the digitizer is tracking the root of the pen nib instead of the actually tip. The 100 point calibration doesn't seem to make a difference, the offset only occurs when the pen is angled and is perfectly accurate if the pen is held perpendicular to the display. What really irritates me is that I recently just returned a Samsung ative 500t which had flawless pen calibration right out of the box, no offset at all...

Since I do a lot of free hand sketching it becomes very annoying trying to get two lines to connect with out their being a gap in-between them...
    hopefully this is a driver issue.

6. Steve S

<<...No matter what calibration method I use the cursor on the screen is always offset in relation to the pen tip. It seems as if the digitizer is tracking the root of the pen nib instead of the actually tip...>>

...In my trials last night, the cursor stayed very close to the nib tip using my Bamboo Feel pen. The Surface pen seemed to be a little less-well aligned, but only very little. As I said, I need more time to look at this...

7. SaintXx

SaintXx Pen Pal - Newbie

Should the pen be held straight up when calibrating or should it be held at the angle that the pen-user is ordinarily going to write or draw in?

8. Steve S

<<...Should the pen be held straight up when calibrating or should it be held at the angle...>>

...I believe that you should hold the pen at whatever angle you would write at on that part of the screen.

9. SaintXx

SaintXx Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks! As I was calibrating I started to wonder...

10. zbrush

zbrush Pen Pal - Newbie

This is exactly the same calibration problem that Samsung 700t has. My guess is that the tilt problem is caused by the pen and the edge calibration is caused by the digitizer. I am curious if changing the pen would help with the tilt offset .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.