pen "running out of ink" in Sketchbook Pro

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by P8RSON, Oct 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mackie

Mackie Pen Pal - Newbie

I have an R25 with 4gb ram running XP with the latest Wacom drivers. Yesterday I noticed that my stylus would stop responding in sketchbook completely at random kind of like a pen running out of ink. As soon as I lift the pen and start drawing again it will work, but then stop at random again, although not on every stroke and not at the same point. My guess is that another application is interrupting the process and taking focus from sketchbook, but I'm not seeing anything unusual in the task manager. I tried in photoshop and it's fine, so possibly something Open GL related? I have no idea...any suggestions would be great-thanks in advance!

2. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Have you tried updating the Wacom drivers Mackie.

Nip on over to here, then select Tablet PC followed by your OS.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  3. Mackie

Mackie Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi P8rson- yes, I have Wacom 503-3 installed as well as every other update that Toshiba has including BIOS and sound -but they don't seem to do it... thanks for any further help

4. P8RSON

Okay.....
    Going back to the Windows Task Manager ~ Select the Processes tab.
    1. Click twice on the column word 'CPU' (this should sort out the process list in order of CPU activity).
    2. Now, leaving this open load Sketchbook Pro and again attempt to use the brush.
    3. At the point of where you find yourself having the problem, look at the WTM and see which processes are consuming system time.
    4. Next, check the PF Usage (under the Performance tab) and also how much RAM you have left (although I doubt very much if RAM is the issue).
    5. Finally, consider reinstalling Sketchbook Pro. It may reassign library files back to the program.

5. Mackie

Mackie Pen Pal - Newbie

Ok - Problem FINALLY solved- It turns out that I had more than one driver controlling the pen in the Human Interface Devices listed under the Device Manager. Possibly didn't un-install properly when I updated? Not sure, as I had updated it a while ago and didn't have any issues till last Friday. Thanks for your help P8RSON- We were on the same track from the beginning - the processes were the first thing I had checked, but in this case weren't giving any leads and the second thing I did was reinstall Sketchbook. Looking further into photoshop I had noticed that it wasn't doing the "out of ink" thing Sketchbook was doing, but i DID lose all pressure sensitivity which led me back to the drivers. Thanks again!

6. P8RSON

Well I'm pleased for you that you managed to resolve the problem. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.