Pen recommendation for Surface Pro 1 / 2?

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by daddyfish, Aug 17, 2020.

1. daddyfish

daddyfish Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi what pen would you guys / gals recommend as pen for Surface Pro 1 / 2 for simple note taking? I was searching on Wacom EMR pens but I have no idea what I should buy or not. I heard certain older Samsung Note pens will work, would that be a good choice? I am mostly looking for something relatively cheap, I do not mind if it is small and an eraser button would be nice but not necessary. Needs to be a pen though (/not a 'dumb' stylus).
    I live in Europe. Thanks for taking the time.

2. daddyfish

seems like a Samsung S pen is most easiest for me to get, but can they be charged without a Note phone? Maybe an older model? Or through wireless charger?

Granted I would prefer to get something without a lithium battery so I do not have to worry about unswap-able degraded batteries but shop descriptions are terrible :confused:, no mention what type of pen it is or model/name of the pen, only support for "<insert manufacturer> laptops".

3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Last edited: Aug 18, 2020
    daddyfish likes this.
  4. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

To add to @Bronsky 's comment, any Wacom "penabled" pen with a "UP" prefix (for example, UP-810E ) will work on Surface Pro 1 & 2. In addition, the Wacom Bamboo Feel Carbon pen will also work and is a very nice pen. It is discontinued, but if you come across one, it will work. Note that Wacom graphics tablet pens will not work on the Surface Pro, except for the Cintiq model pen. If you can find these, they are likely to be very expensive...

upload_2020-8-18_22-5-41.png

Bishop and daddyfish like this.
  5. Steve S

6. Steve S

And, here's the missing picture (first picture) from Post #1. All of these pens will work on the SP1 & 2...

Pens2.jpg

7. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

Unless i needed an eraser, I would get the Staedtler Digital Noris OR get the Stadtler Digital Noris Jumbo.. or any of the s-pens from the Samsung Galaxy Tab S3-S7 models OR if you can find it the stylus for the Samsung Galaxy Book 12.

All the other pens listed will work and are great pens, (with the exception of Bronsky's recommendation) but are rare and expensive.

daddyfish likes this.
  8. darkmagistric

darkmagistric Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Actually the Staedtler and more recent S-pens might not be the best suited for the Surface Pro 1 & 2.

The Pro 2 was the last hurrah of the old school EMR/UD tech, it was after the Pro 2, and that the EMR/UD/Spen nib assembly was changed to smaller nibs.

Meaning newer pens on older devices like the Pro 2 could have the same problem as doing the reverse (older pens on newer devices) of having a cursor offset and/or wonky pressure control because of the change in the Nib. All the pens Steve posted use the old Nib assembly and should be more suitable. Newer pens would be more hit or miss.

daddyfish likes this.
  9. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

I have a Surface Pro 1 the staedtler works fine

Sent from my SM-N9600 using Tapatalk

10. daddyfish

Thanks for the helpful information.

, do you mean one of these than?
    https://www.amazon.de/Staedtler-180...1&keywords=emr+pen&qid=1597786105&sr=8-2&th=1
    https://www.amazon.de/180J-22-Staed...hild=1&keywords=emr+pen&qid=1597786105&sr=8-3

I also found this one which has good reviews to and is an EMR pen:
    https://www.amazon.de/Lamy-AL-star-...hild=1&keywords=emr+pen&qid=1597786105&sr=8-1

I can also get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 S Pen for ~18 bucks.