Pen Problems in OneNote and Journal

Discussion in 'Software' started by kikareth, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kikareth

kikareth Pen Pal - Newbie

For starters, I am currently using a Lenovo X61 Multi-touch tablet with the Windows 7 OS. Now onto the problem...

For some reason, my Wacom pen eraser does not work in MS OneNote 2007 or Journal anymore. When I try to erase using the back of the pen, it acts like the front of the pen and just draws a line. I have checked the settings in OneNote, Pen and Touch, and the Wacom Pen Tablet settings, and eraser is enabled in all these properties.

In addition, in OneNote, the pen output is very scratchy and not as smooth as before and the automatic pen/selection tool in OneNote is also not working.. I have no idea what caused the sudden change of behavior.

I have reinstalled the latest Wacom Penabled drivers (5.05-7) multiple times from the Wacom website, but the problem has not been fixed. Before this freak behavior occurred, I was also using the same Penabled drivers. Weirdly, the Wacom eraser and pressure-sensitivity work just fine in Photoshop.

The problem has been baffling me for days. X_X I'd appreciate any help I can get. Thanks!

P.S. What I haven't tried is uninstalling and reinstalling the MS Office Suite, but I'm not sure that that would work since the eraser problem also occurs on Journal.

2. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

I don't remember how it's fixed, but it sounds like the OS thinks it is seeing a mouse instead of a tabletpc pen....although working in PS seems to contradict my guess.

3. kikareth

sigh. thanks for the help though. if anyone wants any screenshots to help solve the problem, give the word and ye shall receive.

4. Taran_Wanderer

Taran_Wanderer Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey kikareth,

I'm having the same problems. Did you find a fix for this?

Thanks!

5. kikareth

Edit 11/08/09:// SOLUTION FOUND: After browsing some more on forums, I followed the advice on here and enabled pen flicks. SMOOTH INKING AND PEN PRESSURE NOW APPEARS ON BOTH MS AND PHOTOSHOP. yay! :)

==========================

I'd like to revive this topic on the basis that now I have installed Windows 7 RTM, I am having the exact same problems as before. I thought maybe by the time the RTM came out I wouldn't have the problem, but this is not the case.

For drivers, I first installed the latest PenEnabled driver and then the Multitouch driver for Windows 7 from Lenovo.

I've also attached a snip of what my OneNote note-taking looked like before in Vista and looks like now. Pretty ugly... :(

@ Taran_Wanderer: I never found a solution, so I had went back to using my Vista OS.

-----
    edit:// okay. uninstalled all the drivers and went back to win 7 default, and all the ms stuff work fine now except photoshop doesn't have pen pressure again. argh.

edit again:// i guess what i'm asking here now is how to install drivers that will give me pen pressure in art apps yet not mess up anything else or my multitouch.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. superspypig

superspypig Pen Pal - Newbie

I would like to revive this thread again.
    I am having exactly the same problem, except with a Bamboo tablet in win 7 x64 Pro. I tried the solution you provided, but it seems it does not work for me.

Did enabling flicks and right click really smoothed the handwriting?
    Please let me know:confused:

7. kikareth

Hi superspypig,

Yes, enabling one of the two really did fix my problem since I had turned both off. Apparently it was a documented Wacom problem.

If you haven't already and already tried the above, try uninstalling and reinstalling the latest, in your case, Bamboo driver and restarting your computer after uninstalling the driver and after reinstalling it. Let me now if it still doesn't work.

8. 8bar

8bar Pen Pal - Newbie

I managed to solve my problem with inking in OneNote being jagged. I rolled back the default driver from the Wacom Pen Driver (3.0.1.3) to the previous one, Wacom Serial Pen Tablet (provided by Microsoft, version 6.1.7600.16385). BTW, this is on a Lenovo X61 Tablet, running Win7 64-bit, OneNote 2010. Here is the difference (magnified 2x)
    1.png
    The downside is that I don't appear to have pressure sensitivity in Photoshop.

9. 8bar

8bar Pen Pal - Newbie

Update--rolling back the driver to Wacom Serial Pen Tablet has other side effects. I can no longer calibrate the pen without the message "a supported tablet was not found on the system." Ugh.

10. 8bar

8bar Pen Pal - Newbie

Update2--I solved the calibration error: I uninstalled "ISD Tablet" version 7.0.2-29 in the Add/Remove control panel, and that now allows me to calibrate the pen AND have high quality inking in OneNote.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.