Pen Lag?

Discussion in 'Software' started by stoneseeker, Jun 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buckey

Buckey Pen Pal - Newbie

There is a solution! I knew it should be possible to turn it off. There are settings in registry about "Pen". These settings aren't accsesible through Control Panel but through registry. Here is a topic about this from Wacom forum:

http://forum.wacom.eu/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=981&p=4112

At last :)

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  2. TagLine

TagLine CX210X, WinXP Tablet

So if I switch off the PresAndHold, then how do I do right click with pen. My pen doesn't do anything when I press button, is it bad, or do I need to change some settings ?

Thanks.

3. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

with your pen button. Either you have to press the button and a right click gets done, or you have to press the pen button and tap the pen nib on the screen while holding it.
    In the Wacom settings (I expect that you use the Wacom drivers) you can select which method you prefer.

4. TagLine

TagLine CX210X, WinXP Tablet

From Control Panel I click on tablet pen settings. I checked in box "use button for right click". I remove the press for right click. Now the lag is gone. Also I can use right click by jabbing with button pressed.

Thank you all for the solutions. I was getting frustrated.

5. YasminTiara

YasminTiara Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi guys,

I have a small question. When i go to some of the available online drawing boards, say to draw with friends i'm experiencing some kind of weird lag when using my wacom graphire 4. Whats happening is the following; when i use my pen to draw say a line i get a 1 sec lag between my pen touching the wacom surface and the line being drawn on the screen, it almost feels as like the pen is hanging or loading something, like a stutter. I get this every time i retap the wacom surface, so u understand this is very annoying. Ive noticed something else, when i use my wacom in photoshop i do NOT get the lag for some reason but i do see a little circle emiting around my cursor every time i tap the wacom surface. This also is quite annoying. If you guys dont fully understand what im talking about i can take a screenshot or be more specific. My lack of english is another barrier, but i guess its not that bad. Anyway i really like to get this fixed cuz it has been driving me nuts for months. I should have come here earlier, oh well.

thx in advance!

oh and btw: i know this is not the right place, but i dont want to start a whole new thread for it, but does anyone know a good online drawing board where me and my friend(s) can draw togheter in private on one big canvas? I have a coop concept artist for the project im working so it would be awesome if we could directly share ideas in realtime.

6. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

That sound like lag from the website hosting that service. Not much you can do about badly hosted site with terrible connections.

As for private whiteboard site, I don't know of any. I remember using a simple whiteboard on some old net meeting software... I'm sure all such software have some sort of whiteboard built in.

7. 3phemeral

3phemeral Pen Pal - Newbie

Have any of you tried changing the priority settings in the task manager? I can't really thoroughly test this out as I'm solving cursor issues of my own, but if you press CRL+ALT+DEL and head to Task Manager, then head to "Processes" (if you're on Windows 7 and below) or "Details" (If on Windows 8).

From there, look for all pen-related drivers, right click and set priority to "Realtime".

I would only do this for the drivers, not for any programs you use for drawing as it takes significantly more resources to run those. You could choose another option other than "Realtime," however, like "Above Normal."

I used to do this back in my old college days to devote more resources to programs that were running slow on my budget-quality computer whenever I had a deadline where my computer was acting up. I discovered that changing the priority setting for programs to "Realtime" slowed the system down to a crawl whenever I would navigate outside of that high-priority program. That's why I caution against choosing such a high setting for something like Photoshop. But there shouldn't be anything problematic with selecting the driver that controls pen and touch to realtime priority, since they're comparatively low-resource. You can always change the setting back should there be an issue with performance.

Let me know how it goes!

Last edited: Jun 28, 2013
  8. stoneseeker

stoneseeker Animator and Art Director Senior Member

This was discussed around here once before I believe and in my experience, (at last with the cursor glitch we are having) it made no difference. However, on a system with very little resources to spare, like an old pentium tabletPC with 2 gigs of ram, in theory this could help. Most tabletPC's today though have more than enough resources for the tablet driver to keep it in high enough priority, and any concsistent lag has little to do with anything more than system limits in the software in general. (trying to paint with a complex 1200px brush on a utra low voltage machine for example)

3phemeral likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.