Pen Lag?

Discussion in 'Software' started by stoneseeker, Jun 29, 2013.

1. Commander Wolf

Commander Wolf Pen Pal - Newbie

Hello,

I'm not totally sure if this is a hardware or software issue, but I'm inclined to think that it's the latter. I recently bought a used HP TC4200 from ebay and for the most part, I'm satisfied with the purchase.

When I move the cursor with the touchpad, trackpad, or even with my regular tablet, it moves instantaneously. However, when I move the cursor with the tablet pen, it follows the pen like a dog on a leash, rather than instantaneously; kinda like the cursor has some sort of inertia.

I'm thinking that this is a software issue since the lag is not apparent with any other input method and I'm wondering if there is some sort of fix around this. I've looked through all the pen and tablet settings I could find and even downloaded the extended functionality thing from Wacom's site to no avail.

I want to be able to draw on this tablet and the lag is somewhat hindering, especially for rapid, short strokes of the pen. Any sort of help is appreciated; thanks in advance.

2. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Super Moderator

what are the specs of the machine?

3. pibach

pibach Scribbler - Standard Member

switch off all the visual options, hold to right click, and flick gestures under pen settings. These induce significant lag.

4. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Nice Yoko avatar!

First question: Have you updated the drivers on the tc4200? Also, I can't remember if it's using a wacom digitiser, but if it is have you installed the wacom drivers yet?

5. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Do you use Windows XP? If so, then there are no solutions available. Windows XP TE uses a program called wisptis.exe which controls the whole pen input, like eraser, buttons and also the calibration. If you stop this program (which is a little bit difficult) then you lose the calibration and other features but the lag is gone. Maybe with SP3 we get a new and faster wisptis.exe, but I don't believe it.

So if you want to draw in Photoshop or so, use Vista. I don't use Vista, and I don't know if the pen does also lag in Vista. But a lot of people say, that they are able to draw in these programs without further problems.
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=15007

6. Commander Wolf

Pentium M 740 1.73GHz, 512MB 266MHz, 80GB 5400RPM GMA950. XP TE.

Like I said though, I don't think it's a matter of the hardware being underspec'ed. My old Dell 500m did fine with my Intuos3 and it had a 1.3GHz Banias Pentium M; I don't see why a significantly faster Dothan should be struggling.

All my visual settings are already off, save drop shadows and themes. Where exactly can I find the setting for "flick gestures"?

It's a clean install since I put in a new hard drive. I downloaded all the drivers from the HP site just two days ago and the tablet driver is straight from the Wacom site (implying that it IS a Wacom digitizer).

Ouch. I'm a rapid XP fanboy/Vista hater here so that really hurts. I will look into it, but downgrading to Vista is definitely a drastic measure for me. That really sucks if there isn't a workaround in XP...

Thanks for the responses, all.

7. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You could always just install XP Pro and lose all tablet functionality. You basically end up with a Modbook. ;) Given that choice, Vista is a much better prospect, no matter how you feel about it.

8. pibach

Vista just uses same wisptis.exe as XP does. Not much difference here. Many people also report pen lag under Vista. Go ahead and do follow my hint, then you will be very likely lag free. If not, delete Wacom drivers (completely erase) and revert back to OS drivers. Wacom installation gave me pen lag (under Vista). Probably this depends on order of installation (wacom reports about pen lag to be a known bug).

9. kureshii

Well, if I were in your position I'd do one of these things:

1) Do another complete reformat. Install drivers first before windows updates.

2) Go to task manager, close them one by one and see if one of those processes is causing the pen lag.

3) Raise the thread priority of wisptis.exe and see if it helps. There was a freeware app here that runs in the background does this everytime it detects pen movement, then reverts it back to normal once no pen movement is detected. I can't seem to find it now though.

Of course, there are other options available, jut try those that you have enough time to.

10. Frank

@kureshii
    The program you ment is TabTip Tamer, which does increase priority of TabTip.exe, which does, in my opinion, nothing ;)
    Because in my opinion it's not the TabTip, which produces the lag, it's wisptis.exe, which is, maybe, slow. But it already has high priority and if you increase it's priority, then you see no improvement.

And using the default pen drivers disables pressure sensitivity in Adobe Photoshop or similar programs.

11. Commander Wolf

Hmm, ok. So turning off flick gestures seems to have helped a little bit. I have tried uninstalling the Wacom drivers and installing the default HP drivers (the OS doesn't want to give me a driver by default; the tablet just doesn't work if I simply uninstall the Wacom drivers) but the performance is the same. I'm hesitant to do another reinstall, but I will try that when I have the time.

wisptis.exe priority is already set at "realtime", so I don't think that's an issue.

I noticed that the effects of the lag seems to be of varying severity across different programs. In OpenCanvas 1.1 it's absolutely appalling (like I said, extremely hard to do rapid or precise strokes), but it's almost unnoticeable in OC 4.03. Why is this? Is this actually a driver problem or something to do with the apps themselves?

12. pibach

make sure you disable all options in pen settings. In particular the hold-to-rightclick causes severe pen lag.

If you delete Wacom Driver in device manager and let it search for new devices it will automatically reinstall original Vista driver. This just takes 1 minute of time. As Frank mentions this will disable pressure sensitivity in certain apps, but it will give you back a lag free system. Test the pen in journal, for example. Your OC installation seems to have its own issues.

Afterwards you can reinstall Wacom drivers.

13. Commander Wolf

I'm using XP :)

BUT WOW. I can't believe it! Disabling the right click REALLY helped (suppose it's evidence that they're both using the same wisptis.exe?). Especially in OC 1.1, it made all the difference in the world.

Rep + to you, sir!

14. Frank

pibach, you knew a solution to the well known XP TE pen lag problem all the time and you never said anything, shame on you ^^

You really solved a lot of problems I had.
    Now, after disabling the hold-to-rightclick the mouse cursor still follows the pen and isn't immediately below the pen if you move the pen with moderate speed over the display, but eveything else works perfect now.

Writing a text in Photoshop with the pen is possible without any lag now. Even annotating PDFs with the pen in Acrobat is possible now, which was too laggy before.

Now Shogmaster should try his Painter Win XP TE pen lag demonstration again, after disabling this "feature" :)

Thank you so much, that's why you get a Rep + from me, too.

15. kureshii

Damn, I solved it and never knew the whole time either ><

I assigned R-click to one of my stylus buttons, and since tap-and-hold frequently interrupted my tableting (I like to keep the stylus on the screen while thinking) I switched it off too. I never knew it solved more problems than that, LOL.

Don't mind if I sticky this thread, Cmd Wolf ;)

16. Shogmaster

Aw crap, I have to reinstall XP:TE all over again on my spare drive? :( I'm willing to go through all that (I wish I've known about this 3 weeks ago when I recorded the video showing the difference between XP:TE and Vista on Painter), but jeez, talk about bad timing. I'm swamped right now! (which is why I still haven't edited that video) Minus 10000 rep points to pibach for not letting us know about this sooner! >:)

One thing though: If this is true, then Vista's right click doesn't affect lag since I still have it turned on in that video from 3 weeks ago. It's too bad about that old video. I borrowed my friend's HD cam to record it. Now the new video (I'm gonna do it right freakin' now because I'm dying to know) is gonna be done with my point and shoot's crappy 320x240 MJPEG movie mode. *cries*

17. Commander Wolf

I'd be honored :D I've been on NBR almost a year now and I still don't have a sticky there ;)

18. Shogmaster

Pibach is right! It's Press and Hold after all this time causing most of the lag. Holy crap, I should have messed around with that years ago! *bonks head*

[​IMG]

Watch the video of this in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=36ZnoypMxxs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8XVN4durL8

edit: LOL, Vista's Pen flicks also cause some lag in Brush Tracking dialog box of Painter. I turned that off way back when so I never noticed it.

19. Frank

Nice done Shogmaster, a bit long, but therefor very detailed and easy to understand.

The only thing I don't understand is why you've deleted the Wacom data file? In my case, the problem was solved after just disabling this XP feature withouth reinstalling the Wacom driver or deleting this data file.

PS: What Pen have you used in your video? Looks like a nice pen (not so ugly like the 18SX ;))

20. Shogmaster

For some reason, I had to delete the DAT file in order for the Brush Tracking in Painter to be fixed, even though without doing that the lag did go away while using the brushes in Painter. Also, deleting the Wacom DAT file and then rebuilding it was easier than uninstalling then reinstalling Wacom driver like pibach suggested.

As for the pen, it's from Sony LX900 Slimtop PC. Google it and laugh at my foolish purchase from 7 years ago.