Pen is working as mouse instead

Discussion in 'Software' started by Boots, May 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boots

Boots Pen Pal - Newbie

HP 2730p. I don't think I did anything differently, didn't download anything that I know of, but suddenly the pen is basically a mouse. It's got the mouse cursor on hover instead of the small circle, and in things like OneNote and Sticky Notes it is the bar that looks like an I instead of handwriting.

I tried reinstalling the Wacom driver, and no luck. Any help is appreciated.

2. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Same thing happens to me sometimes, too, but I don't know the issue. However, if I remove the Wacom driver, restart the computer, then reinstall the Wacom driver, restart the computer, everything works again, until something strange happens (maybe twice a year) which disables the pen again.
    If you find the culprit, make sure you it tell me :)

3. cleft

cleft Scribbler - Standard Member

It's likely that one of the updates from Windows Update was the culprit. I used to face this problem until I found out that there was an update for touch driver which had caused the whole mess. I hid the update and never installed any touch driver from windows update since then, problem's gone.

4. Boots

Boots Pen Pal - Newbie

It's back to normal now, so that's really weird. I didn't do anything to fix it. Frank, how do you delete drivers? They don't show up in the normal Uninstall Programs window. Cleft, was it the Wacom minidriver? I hid that one, and I haven't spotted anything similar unless it's one of the ones that downloaded automatically before I could tell it not to do that. I think you're probably right, WU has been trouble a couple of times already, though there's no touch software in the recent downloads. Maybe it was the Intel update?

5. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

You said you installed the Wacom drivers, so you should find it in the control panel in add/remove software. Something like pen driver or Wacom ..., or touch or something else (I can't tell you the name because I use a german Windows version). If not then you haven't installed some Wacom drivers
    Because I had issues with Photoshop lately I installed the latest Wacom tablet PC drivers, works flawless on the T2010 Win 7 x64.

6. cleft

cleft Scribbler - Standard Member

The touch driver might have been installed. Also, I'm not sure about the wacom minidriver, I think it's safe to leave it alone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.