Pen hovering phantom clicks may be caused by your Aero Theme Wallpaper?

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by navus, Feb 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. indpndc

indpndc Pen Pal - Newbie

The phantom clicks are about driving me nuts. I have Aero off and have the settings so that I manually switch between touch and pen. I also have three different pens to use. None of that seems to make a difference. I have one password I have to type in every time I boot - I have never been able to successfully enter that with any pen if I use the pen keyboard. However, if I trick it into thinking I am going to use the touch functionality, get the slightly different keyboard that provides, and then use the pen to key in the password, I do not get the phantom clicks and can successfully key it in. Doing it using the pen keyboard I can get up to dozens of phantom clicks for every "real" click. They both use the same general real estate on the screen, so I am not sure what the difference in the keyboards is where one works and the other fails miserably.

Further, in areas like OneNote, depending on the mood of the Slate I guess, I can see vastly different results ranging from acceptable to "I want to throw it across the room". One moment it will work fine and recognize what I am doing, the next I get garbage that is unrecognizable.

I am pretty much at the end of my rope with it and find that this problem makes me gravitate away from using it as much as I want to. I know I should be calling HP, but honestly I had enough of that during the time I waited for it and I really don't want more frustration.

2. thadwald

thadwald Scribbler - Standard Member

I think that either the device is extremely sensitive to the environment or you have a bad device.
    I never get phantom clicks except for when I am writing and resting my palm on the screen.

The fact that you can get it to work when you trick it into using the touch keyboard is the first indication that I have seen that points to a software issue.

I feel your pain with the pen, though. If I had a $50 ballpoint pen that didn't write half the time I attempted to use it, I wouldn't hesitate much before throwing it out.

My experience with the pen is that I cannot get it to pop the tablet input panel. It works once, then it doesn't work 3 times, then it works a few times.... I have discovered that by rapidly bringing the pen into and out of the digitizer's range I can get the tip icon to appear but it sometimes takes 20 or more tries. Needless to say, I am not very productive doing that.
    The pen is supposed to be the slate's big advantage over most other devices. At the moment, I could not seriously recommend it to anyone, because this one advantage is broken.

3. indpndc

indpndc Pen Pal - Newbie

It is very odd - one would think if it were the environment or the device itself, the problems would be more consistent. So far the only consistent problem is that one log in screen that never works with the pen keyboard. The rest of the problems can be non-existent one minute and then all of a sudden, in the same environment, I start getting garbage without doing anything different or changing a thing. It seems to be about 50/50 as far as useful/not useful, and I cannot yet put a finger on what is making it switch between useful/not.

4. watchdog

watchdog Scribbler - Standard Member

From what I've heard and what I've experienced now, I think that some slates work well and some work bad. I turned off Aero and did the auto thing for touch recognition and I may have gotten one phantom click since. It seems that some slated just dont work as well as others.
    I'm probably wrong however, it's just, thats what all of this sounds like to me.

5. telecomgeek79

telecomgeek79 Pen Pal - Newbie

When you boot up, does the screen look extra big?

The reason I ask is, I changed the startup config and my resolution changed to 640x480 which through the pen input off. I would hover over the screen and it would show the mouse pointer somewhere else. On mine after booting up, I would have to change the screen resolution to 1024x600.

Hope that helps.

6. indpndc

indpndc Pen Pal - Newbie

Nope, that's not the problem. The pen accurately reflects where it physically is also - it just clicks when it shouldn't and when inking sometimes suddenly just doesn't properly recognize anything.

7. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

8. the_rapture

the_rapture Pen Pal - Newbie

Same result.... I wasn't having any problems until I installed SP1.... I might have to do a restore. I thought SP1 would have tablet improvements...

9. DaveP

DaveP Scribbler - Standard Member

The problem has been seen, as far as I can tell, since the first n-Trig digitizers and pens. I have seen it blamed on software conflicts (n-Trig palm rejection, n-Trig versus Windows pen recognition, installation of n-Act, and non-installation of n-Act), on fluorescent lights, on static electricity, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone blamed the phases of the moon.

I haven't seen any solution that is said to consistently improve it although the occurrence of it does seem to be going down with newer hardware and drivers.

The one thing that does seem to improve the experience is to stay away from Dual mode. Using Auto or manually switching between Pen and Touch reduces phantom clicks significantly, in most people's experience.

Other than that, we can only hope that n-Trig's recent moves in the tablet market will lead to more datapoints and an eventual resolution.

10. engla

engla Pen Pal - Newbie

My HP Slate 500 pen has been brocken since September. I have seriously cut down on using it due to this fact.
    I have recently ordered another stylus although they don't ship them easily to Russia.
    After switching my slate back to life I discovered that it's riddled with phantom clicks but the pen is not to blame now, i presume. How can I solve this problem or should I ask for a refund?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.