Pen hovering phantom clicks may be caused by your Aero Theme Wallpaper?

Discussion in 'HP Slate' started by navus, Feb 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. navus

navus Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi all, finally received my long awaited Slate500 yesterday.

Spent a lot of time setting up and configured to my preferred settings.
    Tried to use OneNote and other programs but that pen hovering phantom clicks drives me completely insane.

Just about to give up and suddenly realised that it was my Aero Theme background Wallpaper which is causing all these random clicks. I was using the Windows 7 bundled “Landscapes” Aero Themes.

I noticed that for some reason when the pen hover over a certain area of the screen mainly on the last 1.5” of the right hand side of the screen the hovering point will have a rapid pulsing (circular radiated pattern) which acts as a left click button. My Firefox icon happened to be there and within 3 secs of pointing at it 10 Firefox Windows were opened :eek:

Maybe for those of you who regularly experience this type of behaviour, you might be using these types of aero themes or background (especially with Transparency Enabled)?
    If you slowly hover your pen over the entire screen and at some point you see that rapid pulsing pattern that’s where the phantom click happens.

I don’t know the technical side of this issue, neither the touch screen or the shielding design of the HP Slate but some aero themes are worse than others.

Strange though my Fujitsu T580 does not have this problem at all, and the HP Slate pen actually works better with the T580. May be an updated driver from N-trig will rectify this.

NB: this is purely my speculation and observation from my HP Slate, can others confirm with their experience?

2. watchdog

watchdog Scribbler - Standard Member

My question is, what is Aero?

3. jnjroach

jnjroach Technology Strategist Super Moderator

Aero is the Windows UI that was introduced in Vista and Updated in 7. It is visual effects if you are not using Windows 7 Basic, which is the Powder Blue Theme.

4. Alan Leu

Alan Leu Pen Pal - Newbie

Put your table lamp away from your TH550. Try it.

Alan

5. dhimic

dhimic Pen Pal - Newbie

I believe I had the same problem, though more pronounced. My pen would go into fits of left click/selection. I would try replacing batteries, reinstalling drivers, rebooting, etc. Sometime it would work, other times not.

I finally received my Fujitsu pen and it has worked flawlessly. When the slate would act up with the original pen I would grab the Fujistu and it would work.

I will have to test disabling Aero later today,

6. watchdog

Where do you find Aero and how do you disable it?

7. dhimic

dhimic Pen Pal - Newbie

Well, i believe it is a faulty pen. Disabled Aero and still experience the problem intermittently. No problems with the Fujitsu. Oh well.

8. jgjackson

jgjackson Scribbler - Standard Member

Aero is scattered in bits and pieces all over the place. It's the transparency of window decorations. It's the "aero" peek ability when you hover on the task bar. It's the fancy window switcher when you do Win-Tab. The easiest way to nuke it all at once is to select the Windows 7 Basic theme. Right-click on the desktop and pick Personalize.

9. watchdog

It looks like that worked, the phantom clicks were never that much trouble for me but I'm writing this on my slate now with no major trouble.

10. Smokah

Smokah Pen Pal - Newbie

I was getting the impression that the phantom clicks have been due to the slate 'bending' slightly while inking (pressure from the pen). It always seems to happen in the same place for me, near the bottom left hand edge of the screen (in landscape mode).

Will try turning off Aero and giving it another go.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.