Pen delay

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Abtakha, Jul 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abtakha

Abtakha Pen Pal - Newbie

One of the things that's been making me nervous about getting a tablet (though they look really good in general) is the matter of pen delay. I know there's no easy way to describe what it's like, but how do other people feel about this? I assume it's not enough to really get in your way, but do any of you find it irritating? Do you get used to it?

2. jadam

jadam Pen Pal - Newbie

depends on the program tbh, onenote has no noticable delay.

3. Hey_Flatus

Hey_Flatus Pen Pal - Newbie

I had the TC4200 Tablet from HP, and most of the time I didn't get any delay, it was really good. Only got delay when running CPU draining apps. I'm a student in mechanical engineering, so using CAD programs with the TC4200 wasn't the best of ideas and created a bit of pen lagging, but no more than lets say half a second. The pen for that sort of application didn't really go well anyways, so ended up using the mouse.

4. BenjaminRies

BenjaminRies Scribbler - Standard Member

I worked on a Tablet PC sales campaign in 2003, back when slate models were coming with sub- 1 GHz Transmeta CPUs (i.e. weak) and there was no ink delay on the models we used.

You have to be careful with current user reports. Some of them say "pen lag" but what they REALLY mean is that they haven't taken the time to properly recalibrate their digitizers, so the ink appears to trail behind their pen somewhat. This is fixed easily with calibration.

Chalk the rest of the "lag" up to people running too much stuff at once. In this case, jerky pen = jerky mouse. Think about how often you experience these kinds of slowdowns on a PC - and how they can be prevented by lighter use.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.