Pen/Cursor Jitters on a c-140xl

Discussion in 'Acer (Gateway)' started by KingArthur10, Jan 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KingArthur10

KingArthur10 Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm just trying to find out if my laptop is behaving like everyone else's. As with most people, I take notes in portrait mode. The pen's sensitivity and resolution is surprisingly great anywhere on the screen except half way down the screen in the side with the hinge. As the pen makes its way over to the edge, it starts getting jittery and stops tracking my motions as well.

Is this a common problem? I'm a math major, and every often, I have to make small fairly precise motions. They work everywhere but one edge of the screen, and this can cause problems with my notes.

Attached is an example of my problem. I'd appreciate it if anyone could respond so that I can know if I need to call Gateway and have them replace my screen.

Attached Files:

2. D'oh!

D'oh! Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I checked it out and my pen behaves itself anywhere on the screen, even right to the edge on all four sides.

3. Nominal

Nominal Engineering Student

My pen acts just as KingArthur describes, when near the edges of the screen. It's most pronounced near the bottom. I just assumed it was a limitation of the technology. I find that tilting the base of the pen toward the center of the screen when working near the edges helps me to reach program controls (like scroll bars).

I guess I've just adapted to not writing to close to the edge, and in OneNote you can just scroll the page to the side if you need the room.

4. KingArthur10

I have noticed that if I take the tip off of the stylus, it reacts better. I think the electromagnetic fields coming out of the front of the laptop just doesn't go as far out when at the edge of the screen as when in the center. I wonder if buying another stylus will have better performance. I just want to know if this is a common problem or not. If it isn't, some of us might just have defective units, but if it is, then I'll drop the topic and deal with it. :) I'd also like to hear from those who have separate styluses.

5. Papawood1

Papawood1 Pen Pal - Newbie

If I were you I would contact Gateway, I have a C-140x custom built model and I don't have an jittering on any part of the screen

6. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

ill check mine later.

7. chriscannon

chriscannon Proud Member of the PFJ! Senior Member

Its also possible that it has something to do with calibration. Maybe for some reason your calibration is setting the tip off to a side which interfiers with the true edge of the screen.

8. KingArthur10

Monday I will receive my new Cross executive pen. If that doesn't cure the pen jitters around the edges of the screen, I'll probably be sending it back in. I have two "hot" areas of the LCD screen (where colors aren't displayed properly), the glue under the gateway logo on the front of the screen is coming undone a bit, and the screen jitters. I'd say the combination of all of those warrants a new screen. If the screen jitters disappear, then I'll probably hold onto things for a while until summer when I'm done with classes.

9. KingArthur10

*sigh* I feel like I just talked to my 80yr old grandmother trying to do techsupport for me. The gentleman, I believe his name was Gary, kept trying to relate poor tracking performance of the wacom tablet to two thing: Ubuntu (which was installed after the issue was noted) and my VIDEO DRIVERS!$@$?#! I hope that's not what I'm going to have to expect from gateway in the future. I will have to chat with them at a later time/date when I have the time and patience to put up with some 17yr old idiot who thinks that because he can surf the web and use Windows that he is a techie person. *rolls eyes*

*error....pressure overload...emergency venting has occurred.....attempting to stabilize pressure....secondary valve bypassed....systems normalizing.....ALERT: Do not attempt further stress related activities until automated repair systems are finished*

10. Nominal

Nominal Engineering Student

I just did a test of my screen (along what would be the bottom edge). It looks like my jitter is less pronounced than what you posted.

When reading the attached image, ignore the low frequency waviness that is also present in the reference line. That's just me not drawing a straight line.

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.