Pen Calibration Trick

Discussion in 'EP121 Slate' started by smslocum, Aug 4, 2011.

1. smslocum

smslocum Earnest Pilgrim

This was posted by a clever user on the Amazon forums. Essentially, it allows you to add points to the calibration process- as many as you like, to any part of the screen- to address specific parallaxes (pen to input point offset) issues.

Here's the post:

Ive solved it!! My slate also had some bad drift on the left hand side (when in landscape mode), when my cursor went near the edge it would be about 4mm off. What i did, and now it is perfect, was tweak the calibration tool. You can change the number and position of calibration points it uses, so instead of the usual 4 points it makes you touch, i made it use about 150 points, with lots of points along the side of the screen. You need to:

1. if you have installed asus's driver for it (the one from their website), you need to got to the control panel, programs and features, then uninstall it (i forget what it was called, but it starts with 'ISD'), and restart your tablet (after you uninstall it, the pen wont work, so either have a mouse plugged in or use your fingers).

2. go to control panel, open tablet PC settings. Reset all the calibration data (touch and pen). When all the data has been reset, the reset button will be misted.

3. open command prompt (click start and type cmd in the search box).

4. type in, (or copy and paste, however to paste in command prompt you need to click the little black box icon in the top left corner, then select edit, then paste). Type in (make sure its all on 1 line):

tabcal lincal novalidate XGridPts=5,15,30,50,70,90,120,259,513,767,1021,1180,1210,1240,1275 YGridPts=5,15,50,100,163,223,321,479,640,740,780,795

Then hit enter, it brings up the calibration screen but with heaps of points for you to touch. Make sure your pen is the first thing that touches the screen, then it will calibrate for the pen. After you hit the first crosshair with the pen, then you can rest your palm on the screen and do the rest. Just don't rest your palm on the screen until you touch the first crosshair, otherwise it will calibrate it for touch.

Fixed my issues 100%, now the pen is perfect in every part of the screen. So there.​

(Amazon.com: Customer Discussions: Asus EP121 poor pen and touch accuracy)

Here's the next question, though: ISD_DualTouch_702-21 is the Wacom driver I found on these forms, recommended for users getting the BSOD. I don't have BSOD issues, but I'd like to be able to use the most recent driver from WACOM anyway. The trouble is, that driver comes with a WACOM calibration process to replace the one native to Windows 7 (which the trick above improves), and I don't know how - or even whether - the WACOM process can be similarly improved.

The process described above will still run with the WACOM driver installed, but it runs the Windows calibration process, which I'm not sure has any effect with the WACOM calibration software present.

This should (l hope) be useful to those of you who haven't upgraded your pen drivers. I'm curious, though, as to whether anyone here can do for the WACOM calibration process what was done for that of Windows.

Very best regards.

2. kurt_hectic

kurt_hectic Scribbler - Standard Member

Yeah, in past I have seen tools witch gives 25 points for calibration. It seems to be good solution, so why companies decided to give only 4 or even 2 points?

I'm also "curious, though, as to whether anyone here can do for the WACOM calibration process what was done for that of Windows."

I have uninstalled wacom drivers. Then used this:

tabcal lincal novalidate XGridPts=5,15,30,50,70,90,120,259,513,767,1021,1180,1210,1240,1275 YGridPts=5,15,50,100,163,223,321,479,640,740,780,795

and WOW....100% perfect calibration on even corners and edges!!!

Geeks! Please, figure out how use this method with wacom drivers!!!

3. Dash

Dash Pen Pal - Newbie

I would love to do this, but when I'm in the command and paste the lines you posted, I got an error saying like syntax error :(
    Can it be because my Windows is in french?

4. kurt_hectic

syntax error - forum, like youtube add " " to the text...delete spaces

EDIT:

For all who want help:

I have found wacom drivers witch use windows calibration but after I installed them I get info that I have already calibration and I must click reset button (calibration is deleted and I don't know what to do at this point)

http://notebook.driversdown.com/Dow...0/PEN_WACOM_V5.1.1-11c_WIN7_FPC46-1643-01.EXE

Please install that drivers and try to use that command from 1st post. Remember to edit text- delete " " spaces

EDIT2:

I have sth...Its not the the final solution but for now its freaking amazing :)

I remembered that sketch book pro was using a windows calibration...so I made a test with amazing result!

1)Uninstall all drivers.
    2)System should back to standard drivers called "Wacom Pen" , v7.0.1.0.
    3)Click Windows key+R and paste "tabcal lincal novalidate XGridPts=5,15,30,50,70,90,120,259,400,513,600,767,900,1021,1180,1210,1240,1260,1275 YGridPts=5,15,50,100,163,223,321,479,640,740,760,780,795"
    REMEMBER TO CLEAN UP THIS COMMAND: delete " "- gaps, spaces. It must work.
    4)Now get autodesk sketchbook pro (not designer) and enjoy. 100% perfect calibration with pen pressure. Pure gold.
    That calibration is present also in windows. So if you are using asus only for web ect. do this trick.

Btw. I spend on this ~5hours, Now your turn :) Bring this calibration to photoshop,zbrush and artrage.

5. kurt_hectic

delete me now!

6. coldpenguin

coldpenguin Scribbler - Standard Member

If you are in portrait mode, swap the X and Y in the commands above.
    I have been making some progress in getting this to work with the 7-21 drivers.
    Don't do this if you don't understand what I am meaning, I am being vague so people only try this if they are aware of what might occur. If once successful, I will give some better instructions.
    Use regedit, and delete the linearity data from the /two/ tablet sections under the current control node.

Now, reboot/reload the registry.
    Now run the calibration command above, with linear enabled!
    Reboot
    Using the file found in appdata/roaming/wtablet/ISD_tablet.dat, set the XYZ from tabletarray/FourPoint to be equal to the expected values, in each of the orientations.
    Open control panel, administrative tools, services, restart the ISD service.

Now, your calibration should be screwed, but, it should be consistently screwed, the windows calibration has gotten rid of all of my non-linearity, all I have to do is set the offsets and scale correctly in the calibration tool.

7. mst

mst Pen Pal - Newbie

Remind me, is there anything that I'll miss by going back to Windows's default driver?

If there's a big difference I might try out coldpenguin's instructions, otherwise I'll just uninstall ISD and use tabcal...

8. coldpenguin

I found that I did not get pressure sensitivity in artrage or photoshop with the windows or Wacom (available) drivers.
    Only the drivers from the Asus site gave me pressure sensitivity in both programs. I.e, only 7-21 gave me pressure sensitivity.

9. freddiemercury1

freddiemercury1 Pen Pal - Newbie

I am new to tablets. though i would very much like to improve the calibration i found out one useful trick. I know many of the senior's here know about this but this might be helpful to someone.

The major way the pen reacts to your use depends on the way you calibrate i.e usually when you calibrate you tend to use the pen in perfect perpendicular position and then later on use the tablet slant while working which will tend to give you parallax error. It is the same way vice-versa, you calibrate it slanted you end up with offset while writing. The key solution i am starting to see is to try to use the pen/tablet in one position (though it is irritating to do so :mad: ).

I just wanted to share this so that people will try this first and decide if there is really a offset problem due to the system's fault and need to carry out the ritual ;) presented here. . :D

10. mst

mst Pen Pal - Newbie

While I do agree that calibration only really works if you are holding the tablet and pen in the same way as when you calibrated, you can still see quite easily that the tablet's response is non-linear, and with 4-point calibration the accuracy becomes quite bad when you are writing away from the centre of the screen.

BTW, I've been playing around the the coordinates a bit and this works best for me so far (this scheme puts more points close to ALL edges of the screen):

XGridPts=5,16,60,165,258,640,922,1115,1220,1264
    YGridPts=5,12,39,105,225,400,575,695,761,788

I'm right-handed so I have excluded the rightmost and bottommost coordinates. If you're left-handed the following might work better, but I haven't tried this:

XGridPts=16,60,165,258,640,922,1115,1220,1264,1275
    YGridPts=5,12,39,105,225,400,575,695,761,788

11. freddiemercury1

freddiemercury1 Pen Pal - Newbie

I never thought the response was non linear. I think i will try these coordinates as soon as i get my new pen(lost it :( ) and let you know how the pen fares.

I also wanted to know if this works with the touch? and if so will there be any significant improvement?

12. mst

mst Pen Pal - Newbie

To be fair, the one that was suggested in the first post worked quite well too, but that had 169 points and I felt there weren't enough points in the bottom-right region.

13. dbrn

dbrn Scribbler - Standard Member

Has anyone who WAS using the latest Wacom driver tried going back to the Asus driver and doing this trick, in order to see which gets you the best calibration? I'll probably try that, unless anyone has any bad experiences to report...

14. fancylad

fancylad Pen Pal - Newbie

fyi I settled on the newer driver because it added the ability to program the rocker switch on these new pens. I am so used to that now I would have a hard time going back to the old drivers. Like someone said, after a while you get used to watching the cursor more than the pen tip. That said perfect calibration is a dream of mine.

15. kurt_hectic

"after a while you get used to watching the cursor more than the pen tip."

I think you don't understand...

I was watching the cursor on my hp pavilion tablet, worth 400$ and that was so...stupid, painful and misunderstanding...zero fun. From brand new asus tablet worth 1100$ I want much more.

I also don't want back to older drivers without ability to set up the pen (pen pressure has gone also (except sketchbook pro)) BUT that precision calibration upgrade asus to a whole new level and make it a different machine.

But I understand that not all of users have the same expectation that I have. If you still want to aim to the buttons like in some shooter game its your choice.

The best option is some another trick witch allows us to use precise calibration with wacom drivers but.....unfortunately no one know how to do that...

Btw. I turned off the cursor in sketchbook pro ;)

16. CF77

CF77 Love Tablet. Senior Member

17. kurt_hectic

Yeah, there are 2 different calibrations : Windows and Wacom. And the programs they use this second mode... (exception: sketchbook pro)

So we need to:
    1)Force art programs to use windows calibration mode with wacom drivers installed. (because we want to keep wacoms settings and pen pressure )
    2)Force wacoms drivers to use ~150 points in calibration...not 4. (best option)
    3)Find some older\different wacom drivers with use windows calibration and gives as standard benefits : settings and pen pressure (...I remember that some bamboo drivers was good...but I haven't got time to check it)

Until we find solution I'll using sketchbook pro.

18. coldpenguin

Quite. I is interesting to force the system to wacom mode, as you can see how much pincushion is in place.

19. kurt_hectic

I have installed bamboo pen drivers v.5.2.1-6. They are using windows calibration mode and gives pen pressure and all settings.............but unfortunately, I don't know why after precise calibration results wasn't satisfactory :(

Big edit:
    I don't know why but now I have pen pressure in ArtRage!!!
    I have uninstalled the bamboo drivers but maybe sth is still present on hard drive...I don't know. The fact is I have perfect calibration in windows, sketchbook pro and ArtRage and in this programs also pen pressure!!!
    I'm so happy ;)

20. Agent 9

Agent 9 Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Have you tried contacting the development team at Wacom, or better yet write a well thought out letter to one or more CEO's at Wacom requesting they have some people/ teams work with hundreds of users [that would be Tablet pC users and Cintiq users] on a forum (that would be either here, or on Wacom's forum) and build a driver and calibration utility that will do the calibration for the driver and have that driver work everywhere in Windows and not just in art programs... it would all be doable, but it would need the cooperation of those at Wacom to be truly successful

Maybe start a petition and get as many people on board as possible (Deviant art as well as Concept Art.org should prove to be a good place to get supporters) and while that is going you and others can start work on the letter, and with getting contact information of the CEO's and such... no easy feat, but it is the best 'solution' I can come up with