Pdf viewer in qt?

Discussion in 'Asus (Android)' started by etienne, Mar 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. resuS

resuS Pen Pal - Newbie

Yes! This perfectly works!

2. d.goryachev

d.goryachev Scribbler - Standard Member

Again new version, which can be installed via QtPacker (look for muViewer 0.0.7) :)

[​IMG]

Added caching for next and previous pages, so you can switch them nearly instantly (if they are cached, of cause). Previous page is saved from current, so builds only next page (i've assumed that forward direction is preferable).

You can turn off caching by button on toolbar (second from right).

Added outline list (a.k.a. table of contents). Outline sidebar can be toggled by toolbar button too, third from left.

Additionally, fixed possible memory overflow and some other bugs :)

As always, feedback is welcome :)

In plans - thumbnails list and may be textual searching .. ? Not sure.

3. T_B

T_B Scribbler - Standard Member

Amazing job d.goryachev! It works very fast and fonts are crisp and clear. This beats the stock pdf viewer by a mile! Only reason to use stock is annotation capability but as a reader this is much better.
    Handles the science magazine I sent you very fast. Overclocking not needed ;) Also adding the keybindings for zooming in, out, next, previous page.. very nice. Seems you thought about everything :)

Adding annotations and full screen would make it perfect, but I am sure if that was an easy job you would have already included it.

Thanks a lot!

4. resuS

resuS Pen Pal - Newbie

This is great! Pre-caching is that we need. I am feeling the difference with pressed and unpressed caching button very well.

As I understood now muViewer stores only one previous page and caches one next, isn't it? Is it possible to store more? Because in DJView4 a lot of pages are stored in memory and this is very usefully.
    Are you going to make the thumbnails list similar to one in DJView4? In DJView4 it is moveable and I dreamed that then I sticked list to top of the screen scrolling will be in horizontal way instead of vertical. If you are going to do this, please see at this possibility for me:)

5. d.goryachev

Thank ya :) I thought about fullscreen mode, but not sure is it necessary - toolbar and top status bar takes relatively small part of screen. Bottom, eee-note specific toolbar isn't used exactly because it takes place.

Anyway, i glad to read any proposal - it's possible that i didn't think about something handy and may be even obvious - just because it was never used by me :)

Exactly, one previous and one next :) I think there are a way to make not-distracting caching for reverse direction - to build prev cache only if page changed and there are no previous page cache entry. It will allow to build only one entry for new page (next) and reverse caching will turns on only if you will move in reverse direction, on second step. And yes, I think that more caching pages is possible, but it will expensive in memory sence.

To be true, almost all for this reader was marauded from djview4, so you already can dock sidebar to top, button or right side. This state (still?) will not be remembered by viewer, but you can do it. And yes again, i've already thought about sidebar rotation in case of clockwise or counterclockwise arrows is pressed. :)

(As far as i've understood, you are a physicist too? :)

P.S. Looks like there are an easy way - not to turn widgets, but turn window itself :) There are two funny eeeserver messages - first one rotates screen 90 deg counterclockwise and second one returns it back. Only thing what needed - to re-size window and move toolbar to right side. Nothing impossible here.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  6. chris-lawrence

chris-lawrence Pen Pal - Newbie

This is fantastic! -- swapping between books is easy too -- I'd love to be able take a snap-shot of page.

Thanks for developing this -- the rendering is so much cleaner than the stock viewer.

Chris

7. d.goryachev

It's already implemented but not documented :) Just press rightmost button in top sensor keys line.

[​IMG]

I've added new button to turn viewer into landscape mode. It would be nice to move toolbar into right side of screen and to make it vertical, but a lack of time prevents to realize it now.

New version available in QtPacker

8. resuS

resuS Pen Pal - Newbie

Yeah! You are thinking rightly! What is your field?

Is it possible to make flow of pages (not one by one) like in Djview4? I on't lnow why but I much more like to scroll pages by stylus instead of pushing the buttons.

P.S. Turning windows is nice trick which work very fast! I like this a lot!

9. d.goryachev

Physics of solid state, if be more precise - physics of surface :) Funny, but my department (molecular physics) was concerned with mass-spectrometry too, I've studied it as facultative course :)

What about continious mode - I'll check, if there a way to realize. Now can't see, how to implement such feature :(

P.S. There are nothing hard in adding such button to djview4, few lines of code. I can do it little later.

10. resuS

resuS Pen Pal - Newbie

button to djview4 - It would be nice!

Wow! I am engaged in physics of solid state too. The mass-spectrometry technique is not my topic. I am conducting research connected with producing AlGaN-based devices by molecular beam epitaxy. And now I my study is related to surface kinetics during the growth process. Perhaps you can help me:) Because I am trying to understand how surface atom's desorption rate depends on time, substrate temperture, rms of surface and other parameters. Have you studied something like this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.