PDF files

Discussion in 'OneNote, Evernote and Organizers' started by archiwiz, Feb 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 123456

123456 Pen Pal - Newbie

How much ram do you have? I've noticed that Acrobat tends to use a lot of it.

2. Anonymouse

Anonymouse A nondescript mouse

2 GB, with only 1.13 in use w/ Acrobat open, and when trying to write the processor doesn't spike above 33%

If It write in cursive it will write pretty well, but then as soon as I lift up The pen it starts to just click & select instead of write unless I move to a different part of the document

3. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

oh ew, that just looks nasty in Adobe.

although, sometimes if i haven't had my coffee my writing looks kinda like that, haha.

my best guess is that Adobe just isn't registering your pen strokes. i doubt it's the update, but rather something corrupted in Acrobat's files? i dunno really. i still think a re-install *might* solve the issue.

4. Anonymouse

Ugh, so I tried reinstalling Acrobat, and it didn't fix anything.

I have noticed that when I use the mouse/pointstick to "write" I can make all the tiny little marks I want, but for some reason using the pen it just keeps trying to select the image of the ink that it made when I made the first few marks. Is there some setting (maybe not even in Acrobat, but a Tablet PC setting somewhere) that I need to enable/disable so this will work properly for me?

I'm getting frustrated since I basically got a tablet for annotating PDF files, and while there are other programs out there, since I already have Acrobat, and it apparently works fine for others, I'd really like to just get it working.

5. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I tried it and it looks fine as can be. Please note that the thumbnail had the Adobe page at 73% scale, so it will look off. I was pleased with mine, but need to print it to test how it looks with conversion from PDF to OneNote and back to PDF.

6. pgk

pgk Pen Pal - Newbie

I know this is an ancient discussion, but I actually have *exactly* the same problem as shown in Anonymouse's screenshot. I use Acrobat Pro 8, an X61t with 1.8GHz core2duo, Vista 64bit, 4Gb of ram. Should be enough, right? Scribbling with the mouse works fine, writing with the pen returns a mess due to what seems to be slow software. If I write agonizingly slow, the text turns out OK. I wonder if the problem is specific to Vista 64bit, or to the X61t? -pgk

7. pgk

pgk Pen Pal - Newbie

Hmm - I just saw elsewhere that Anonymouse also uses a Lenovo x61t with Vista.. seems like this could be X61 related. Has anyone stumbled across a solution? -pgk

8. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Same problem using, Acrobat Professional 7.0 on Win XP TE on a T2010 using the latest WACOM drivers.
    Don't know a solution, sadly.

9. Anonymouse

Just to clarify, I have Vista Ultimate 32-bit. I gave up on trying to use Acrobat 8 for inking PDFs and I use Grahl's PDF Annotator. I think I got it for $20 during some 1-day sale, but I think it normally goes for ~$50. PDF Annotator works like a charm. My only complaint is that I then have to switch back and forth between Adobe and PDF Annotator to use the various features, but oh well.

Things that annoy in PDF Annotator (but which they'll hopefully fix soon):
    -lack of true search (if you search for a word it finds the page, but doesn't highlight the word on that page)
    -awkward scrolling: there is a scroll bar for each page and for the entire document, and page-down only works on the document-scroll, while the arrow keys work on the page-scroll

At least it works, though, and worth the $ for me (though I would rather have just had Acrobat work for the convenience)

10. pgk

pgk Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey, thanks for the replies guys. So it looks like the technical review i saw elsewhere is accurate: "inking in acrobat blows" - at least on some systems. I'm trying PDF annotator as well. Had a few crashes on Vista 64bit, but otherwise it works as advertised. Problem solved, money allocated.. -pgk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.