PDF files

Discussion in 'OneNote, Evernote and Organizers' started by archiwiz, Feb 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HS77

HS77 Scribbler - Standard Member

Hi Everyone,

I am wondering how OneNote handles PDF files. I think I heard how I could basically "import" the file and ink on it, but that it'll pretty much be an image, instead of the actual PDF file. Is that true?

Really, I'm wondering if I can ink on a PDF file and then save it as a PDF file to send to others again. . .

Thank you for the help, everyone!

EDITED:
    Hmm, I found this thread:
    http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=8952
    Does this mean OneNote is not good for PDF files?

2. ahamilton55

ahamilton55 Scribbler - Standard Member

OneNote 2007 will allow you to do this. You have to install the add on for the "Publish to PDF or XPS." If you click File and look around there you will find the option to have it installed. (I did this a while ago and don't totally remember what the exact title it had)

There are though a couple problems with this that I see. 1. The PDF file is turned into an image so when you save it back to a PDF, the original is made smaller. 2. The files are bloated, extremely bloated after you add some markings. I don't know about other PDF annotators but there was recently a discussion in the software section about them.

Test it out yourself though and see what you think and I hope this helps you.

3. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Well, if you do that on a regular basis you might want to upgrade to adobe Professional or some other PDF-editing software; they can usually do the job with less filesize bloat.

4. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Adobe Professional costs hundreds of dollars. i doubt one would want to buy that application just for inking.

i'm not trying to sound like a broken record here, but i'd recommend PrimoPDF. it lets you create PDFs as well as annotate them, all for the price of $0.00 :D

it's much more simplistic compared to Adobe Acrobat, but it gets the job done. and the end result is just the same as with a paid program.

5. dp22

dp22 Tablet Fan

I use Grahl PDF Annotator and it works like a dream. Simple. Easy. Cheap.

6. HS77

I'm having a problem annotating any file at all in One Note, much less a PDF:(

It seems though that the Grahl PDF Annotator is what I'll need, but it seems a bit steep for $50 . . . at least for me anyway . . .

Would anyone be able to help me use OneNote to ink in any document at all? I would really appreciate all help!

7. daver

daver Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

HS77, you can import documents into OneNote as images, and then you can ink on those images directly.

It's called "Send to OneNote" in the Education Pack, which can be found here.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  8. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I just did it. I Adobe, you go to print and select the "Send to One Note" option in the printer List. It will open in One Note as an image But if you adjust the margins, it will fit. you can also move it aroundto fit better in One Note. Then (After you installed the MS PDF plugin) you can send it to publish as a PDF. Looked Ok to me.

9. HS77

Wow, thanks Nikecar, I did it accidentally with a website, trying to print before I set up a printer Lol, but didn't think of it at all for anything else.

I think you can send anything to OneNote if there is a print option, I guess?

Thanks, Daver, also for your help. I only have Vista though, so the education pack couldn't go for me. But I do have the experience pack that is for Vista, which has some of the things like flash cards and such . . .

10. Anonymouse

Anonymouse A nondescript mouse

So I have a copy of Adobe Acrobat 8 Pro, but found that when inking the pen lags a lot. Is there a special tool or setting people use for this? It was basically unusable for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.