pdf file to inkable format - math symbols problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by Seb656, Sep 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ku_alum

ku_alum Pen Pal - Newbie

Every student and teacher in my school has a tablet pc. It's our first year. I have unofficially become the go-to teacher for tech questions/problems. I'm an English teacher that likes tech in the classroom, but I am faaaaar from being a tech-head (though it is a dream of mine! :) ).

Here is one I haven't been able to figure out:

A math teacher has worksheets on a CDRom from the text book company. Each worksheet is a pdf file. For some reason, when she transfers the pdf into OneNote or Journal, she loses the math symbols (+ - =, etc). Strange. She wants students be able to ink, save, send the worksheet.

So, I figured out that is she uses the snapshot tool in Adobe Reader she DOES maintain the math symbols. She can paste it into OneNote or Journal and the math symbols transfer fine. HOWEVER, everything on the worksheet is tiny. As she increases the snapshot, the image becomes fuzzy. If her students zoom to the point of being able to see the text/symbols there is no room to ink.

Any ideas for getting her pdf (while maintaining symbols) into a true inkable format?

Thank you in advance!

2. leaftye

leaftye Old timer Super Moderator

Make sure she's printing to pdf, not trying to cut and paste to it.

3. Seb656

Seb656 Fujitsu T2010 User

Why not just use something such as PDF annotator? You can get it with a student discount for $29.

4. leaftye

Reread the first sentence. EVERY teacher and student has a tabletpc. Imagine how much it'd cost to install PDFAnnotator on every tabletpc, or even just the students of that teacher....it'd cost quite a bit.

5. DRTigerlilly

DRTigerlilly Tablet Lead Mod (Retired) Senior Member

they don't have institutional licenses?

6. dmlerner

dmlerner Scribbler - Standard Member

I know half of the problem because I ran into something similar. If you copy paste from a PDF that has math symbols into a text file and save with the default encoding, you lose the math symbols. Changing the encoding, I believe you can keep them. See if you can tweak something along those lines? Not the solution, but hopefully it's on the right track.

7. newsposter

newsposter E295C + a pile of gadgets

Look up TeX and LaTex as an equation symbol annotator and publisher.

As excreable as the Wikipedia generally is, the article there has decent pointers to other sources.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LaTeX

A better place to start is:

http://www.ctan.org/

If LaTex and its brothers are too far above the learning curve, OpenOffice (now at version 2.4.1) has a very, very, very good equation editor.

OpenOffice has been able to write/create PDFs for several years now.

OpenOffice v3, now in RC but due for GA in a few weeks, will be able to edit and rewrite PDFs via a plug-in extension.

8. shutterbug

shutterbug Smile - You are on camera

Why not use Jarnal?

It is an open-source application. It does for free everything PDF Annotator does and much more: cross-platform support; the ability to enter text from the keyboard; combine pdf documents and rearrange pages; the ability to annotate faxes and other non-pdf documents - to name a few.

http://www.dklevine.com/general/software/tc1000/jarnal.htm

9. leaftye

Definitely an option, but the OP was talking about getting it into Onenote for annotating. The easiest way is just to get an image of the the files into Onenote, and the easiest way to do that is to print to Onenote. I think annotating the PDF's would be better, but the publisher may have put security restrictions on the pdf, or the teacher may prefer Onenote for everything, or the school may not allow additional software to be installed without submitting a stack of paperwork, etc.

10. Seb656

Seb656 Fujitsu T2010 User

We are just throwing out ideas because OneNote is really a pain. The more I use it for school the less I like it.