PDF editing

Discussion in 'Software' started by larry7, Nov 10, 2010.

1. larry7

larry7 Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,

I'm at a college trying to get Professors to go paperless. our department head is seriously looking into giving every professor a tablet if an effective way of working with reports can be found. I have used tablets for a while, but i need a uniform way for assignments to be handed in (PDF seems good) and then graded. the grading/editing part is difficult since i aviod buy software i need to pay for from adobe (i live in the Linux world when possible). the rule for getting tabletsdeployed is there needs to be a goo program for editing a pdf and then re-exporting it simply with the markings staying where there are.

The best answer I found was Xournal's layering, but Linux has been ruled out as a standard university OS (even though me and the rest of the tech staff use it). does adobe make any decent software for tablet to edit by had a pdf?

thanks,

Larry

2. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

So what exactly do you want?
    A software to take notes with? With the pen?
    Or a software to edit pdf documents? What do you mean with edit? Adding ink annotations, drawings? Or changing the text?

To get useful software you'll be forced to stick with Windows.
    Linux is a nice OS, but has almost no really well developed tablet PC software, only some small opensource projects (Jarnal (can ink on PDF files), Xournal, ...)

On Windows 7, if you want a software to take notes with take a look at OneNote or Windows Journal.
    If you want to add ink annotations to a PDF file or edit it at all, take a look at Bluebeam PDF Revu. There you can add annotations and then flatten them, so they get merged with the remaining document.
    I use PDF Revu on a daily basis. So if you want a specific example, just tell it.

Adobe Acrobat is useless if you want to ink on a PDF document. There's a third program, called PDF Annotator, with which you can annotate PDF documents, too. However, it uses a proprietary system to store ink, which means it adds ink as an image layer to the PDF. Not so good looking in the end, but also a possible way.

3. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

Larry,
    I agree with Frank. I use PDFAnnotator to mark up pdf test reports for work. The form gets converted to pdf and I add my test results with ink.

I believe the Jarnal package for Linux is what PDFAnnotator started life as. I have not used it but the folks that develop this OSS state it accomplishes the same thing in Linux that PDFAnnotator does since it is a derivative.

As for opening pdf files to edit the actual text and then resave them as pdf files, check out OpenOffice as I believe some of the older formats behave quite well.

OneNote can also annotate a pdf as you use Acrobat Viewer to print it to OneNote and then you can mark it up. You can also then re-save it as a pdf with the markups.

Like Frank says, we just need to know what you specifically want to do with the system. Being a part of a University don't think you need to be cheap on this. The University likely has a software agreement already with the major software suppliers and will be able to negotiate whatever you think would work best. Keep your focus on what satisfies your needs first and then work backwards to find the best arrangement to deliver it.

4. larry7

larry7 Pen Pal - Newbie

sorry for not being clear. the goal is that a student already wrote or typed a document. and then saved it a s a pdf (mostly in order to keep school standards). now the professor has received the document and is going to mark with hand notes. don't imply me as being cheap to mean the school is the schools is going to buy twenty to forty tablets if this gets implemented to get things started, so the cost of the software is irrelevant.

the specfic need is easy to use software for professors who don't feel like learning new computer trick. despite having plenty of degrees some of these guys don't feel like learning anything out of their normal computer use.

we have test onenote 2010 and journal (i have them on my tablet) both failed horribly. one note could not statically map the annotations to the pdf so when it was exported the annotations when every where. journal was unable to keep the pdf and the annotations in the same file when exporting. so now we need to look else where.

also we don't need to edit the text, so that make it simpler. PDF annotator sounds good.

thanks,
    Larry

5. dceggert

dceggert Moving 'up' from iPAQ Senior Member

Larry,
    Gotcha! Okay, this is exactly what I use PDFAnnotator for. The engineers send me their test procedure in Word to which I then convert to a pdf. I then conduct the testing and use PDFAnnotator to enter the data, then it saves as a pdf and I email it back to them. They get the pdf file with the original form and my handwritten notes on top.

Check to see of they have an evaluation version (I think they do as I like to try these things before I buy) and give it a whirl.

Dan
    P.S. - this was my lucky 100th post....

6. Frank

Frank Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

yes, then try both Grahl PDF Annotator and Bluebeam PDF Revu.

Both are designed to do exactly what you want.
    Grahl PDF Annotator is the simpler one and probably easier to use for beginners.
    PDF Revu is the more elegant, faster and much more powerful one, but probably not that easy for profs. However, if you learn it, then you can create custom workspaces (you can modify docks, add desired pens, highlighters, tools, and modify toolbars), which are optimized and reduced for annotating documents, thus maybe the best solution for you.

So give both a try, annotate, save the documents again, and test how it works. (in PDF Revu you shouldn't forget the flatten command, else students can modify the markups)

7. e-schreiber

e-schreiber ƒ(x) / fashion Senior Member

8. AirBeagle1

AirBeagle1 Pen Pal - Newbie

As an engineering professor who teaches some online courses, I do exactly what you're talking about -- have students submit assignments as pdf, which I then mark up with my tablet using Bluebeam PDF Revu (I also have Adobe software, but just find Revu much more straightforward), and send back to them. Slick and simple!

9. elintripido

elintripido Pen Pal - Newbie

I'm an academic too and my life is so much easier since I use Mendeley!!

Mendeley is a free software that lets you edit, highlight, introduce notes etc into your pdf files. But, it also creates a bibliographic database automatically by extracting the metadata from your pdf's AND, has a plugin for Word or OpenOffice so you can generate bibliographies for your papers.

I think in a few years we all will use Mendeley or other reference managers will just copy what Mendeley does right now.

Download it at Academic reference management software for researchers | Mendeley

Hope you like it!! Daniel.

10. larry7

larry7 Pen Pal - Newbie

menedaly sounds interesting. but i need to keep this simple. I have prof's who are hostile to tables since they are a change from their norm, there are some who might like menedally, but if there is too much of a learning curve, then there could be major issue. the school wants proof that this system will work before they shell out for decent tablets. pdf revu might work and the CAD edition might make the ME department go nuts.

11. skoster

skoster Pen Pal - Newbie

Just wanted to say thanks for bringing this software up! I wish I would have known about it in grad school. Regardless, it's going to make my article organization so much easier, and I love that I can just right click to get my references.

12. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I use PDF annotator in my legal practice to mark-up draft documents, etc. The program gets an "A" from me. I also use it for presentations, marking up photos, maps and the like. As a bonus, it works great for executing documents remotely while traveling. I use blue ink for signing and have never had anyone question the signature, even though it is electronic.