PDF Annotator - My Review

Discussion in 'Software' started by poetdante, Aug 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. poetdante

poetdante Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Here is my review on the PDF Annotator that I have been testing with the trial version. Before I begin you should know that I have a Toshiba R15 with a 1.6ghtz processor and 1.5gb of RAM.

I decided to try out this product cheifly because I needed to annot PDF documents that I got in ways that did not include me sending the PDF to OneNote annotating it, and then printing it. I knew about this product for a while and thought to give it a try, even though all I heard were good comments, but no reviews.

Everyone should know that I pitty you who live in Europe. 16% sales tax must not be nice (now I know how such a large part of the population is supported on welfare and why your economy is down). But as I live in the States, I avoided all tax on the CD product (when I went to see how much the total would be). Also, by using the trial version you are given a 20% off cupon that pretty much takes care of the shipping ($10).

Now for the review:

I love this software. It works extremly well in annotating PDF documents and even offers you to save your annotated document as a seperate document and warns you about overwriting the original. Basically there are about as many annotation features in PDF Annotator as there are in Windows Journal. I liked the ability to select your annotations and either copy or even delete them, which made erasing, since you can't make your tiny eraser any larger, easier. What the software basically does is edit the PDF document, and then resave it as a PDF document. Quite nice really.

Now for the problems. This thing takes up resources. Lots of resources. When saving, erasing, or even writing quickly, my CPU will jump to 100% and the fan will kick in imediatly. While saving, nothing works and the system even shows a little symbol that the program is not responding. Leaving it alone for a few seconds will let it go back to normal. Over a period of one 40 - 60 minutes, my Windows Task Manager showed me that the program was using 150000+Kb of memory. This is basically what Firefox does and so if you don't have 1.5gb of memory you will notice lag. While the ability to increase or decrease the dpi (whatever that is. I just relate it to quality) is nice, if you save at over 450dpi your document will be about 50mb at least. Saving at 450dpi makes a 6pg document with occasional annotations about 1-2mb. Another large problem that really bugged me is that you cannot type in this program nor can you paste images. All you can do is write.

Overall I love this program. But I would never use it without a power outlet nearby. While it consumes resources like crazy, I can deal with it. I like it, and it is helping me get through my Calculus course. Overall, get it. It is only $50 for a hard copy and $40 with a $10 discount if you download it (because there are no shipping fees). I am placing an order for a hard copy later this week and my coupon expires by the 21st.

On a side note, the terms of use and policy are really odd. You can put this software on as many computers as you want. But only use it on one of them, even if you own all those computers. You can distribute this software as you like, but others can't use it and you may not give them the Terms of Use or Privacy Policy. Then again I might have misread it. But if not" you crazy silly liberal kniggets.

Oh and Admins, I got the log in issue again. When I clicked submit it asked me to log in. When I logged in there was an error and so this thing was lost and I had to retype it. Not really. I learned from the last 7 times I tried to post comments to highlight and copy your work before submitting so no harm done...this time. I ask you to fix this because it is a reoccuring problem around here.

2. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Dante,

Thank you for sharing your review of this software. As we all know it is very expensive to purchase the Adobe Acrobat software package just to work with .PDF files. This sound like a great way to go and will only cost $50.

3. poetdante

30 if you download it

4. poetdante

Also, another gripe is that you cannot paste or type things into PDF Annotator. I am putting that into the review and here in case you missed it originally.

5. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Yeah, but $30 vs. $449 for Acrobat Pro - no complaints here!

6. Daring

Daring Moderator

I took a look at this a while back and while it does a good job of integrating the pen (much better then Adobe), the full screen mode still looks grainy by comparison to Acrobat. Also, if you are still in school Adobe offers very good discounts on their software for K-12 students as well university students. Acrobat Pro can be purchased for about $100 w/student discount.

7. poetdante

nice. but I heard the ink was worse on adobe

8. master

master Pen Pal - Newbie

I have used Acrobat Pro before and am happy with that. Luckily my work paid for it.

If I was going the cheaper route though, Annotator seems to be the way to go.

Thanks for your useful review.

9. poetdante

I will look to see how much adobe acrobat 7 pro is a nd you are sure it has pen compatibility? I can't find that it does

10. poetdante

Man I can't believe I wrote all of this. I just wanted to ask a question on this program about the quality. I scanned a workbook in recently and it looks great in Acrobat 7 pro (yes i got it and I actually use half of the features). However, when I open any pdf in Annotator the lines and characters are somewhat skewed or imperfect. Once I finish my annotations and reopen the document in Adobe, everything looks perfect again. A great piece of software, but a few hiccups do exist.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.