PC World TX2520EA (UK)?

Discussion in 'Hewlett Packard' started by ktakeda, Jul 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ktakeda

ktakeda Pen Pal - Newbie

I followed the UK thread and people's nightmares with dealing with HP direct...

Seems like buying the TX2520EA (2.1GHz, 3GB, 250GB HDD ) from PC World/Currys/Dixons seems like a better bet at £699.

A few basic queries though:

Does the tx2520ea model have:
    1. Bluetooth?

2. Gigabit Ethernet?

3. Wireless ethernet - I know it must do, but the PC World/Currys/Dixons websites say it doesn't?

Thanks,
    Kenji

2. Art

Art Scribbler - Standard Member

It does say, but then what it does say is very confusing.

Linky.

It says "Ethernet & Wireless networking" in the features, but in the detailed specs it says "Wireless Enabled NO". If it doesn't have wireless I'd be surprised if it has Bluetooth, either way the HP models don't seem to have it so I wouldn't think so. It doesn't say about the Ethernet connection, but I think the hardware supports Gigabit so it'd be more expensive to disable it than include it. The Curry's site is the same.

Far as I know someone was told that the TX2520 is a PC World/that group exclusive, so you never know what they've done with the specs.

Best thing you can do is phone up a branch and ask I think.

3. ktakeda

ktakeda Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks, those were my thoughts exactly. The HP site for the TX2520EA is not entirely helpful (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...=es&dlc=es&product=3753830&rule=2990&lang=es).

It says it does not have GigE, which seems strange. Particularly as the 2550ea model also shows it as not included (http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...es&dlc=es&product=3753836&rule=2990&lang=es)). It does not mention Bluetooth. It does say Wireless pre-N is included though :)

My local PC World doesn't have one, even though it says I can 'buy and collect'.

Was hoping someone who has bought one of these can confirm/deny our thoughts???

Thanks,
    Kenji

4. Art

Yeah, you're right. That's odd. I could have sworn that the other pages said it *did* include GigE before they were taken down, and hadn't thought they'd change that.

HP really need to get their act together with solid information.

5. ktakeda

ktakeda Pen Pal - Newbie

Hi,
    Yeah, I'm weighing up going with either the HP or a Toshiba M700. Would be useful if HP provided accurate info!

Thanks,
    Kenji

6. miner

miner Scribbler - Standard Member

All tx2500's and infact all HP laptops sold these days should come standard with wifi(802.11 b/g minimum). The ethernet atleast from what I can tell friom the task manager is Gigabit(shows up as 1Gbps). I havent used it yet since these days I mostly use wifi.

7. Art

Yeah, but like I said the TX2520 is supposedly exclusive to a few stores, and who knows what they've done with it. They'd be insane to try and sell a laptop without it these days but the fact that their own site says both yes and no to wireless means I'd check it out by phone before ordering.

I agree about the ethernet, I'm pretty certain that's built into the Southbridge, so it'll be standard across all models.

8. bobbler

bobbler Pen Pal - Newbie

I have one right here that I picked up on Friday. So in answer to your questions:
    1. No bluetooth included - it was the only thing missing from the spec sheet that I wanted. I got them to chuck in one of the stupidly small USB dongles though to cover it.
    2. Yup
    3. That is a typo on the website (and funnily enough on their internal stock systems too) - Broadcom 4322AG 802.11a/b/g/draft-n

9. ktakeda

ktakeda Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey Bobbler - Thanks! That's great to know. Bluetooth isn't a showstopper, but GigE and WLAN would have been!

So now I just have to figure out whether the tx2520ea is worth the extra graphics performance, over the other features of the M700 I'm considering (battery, screen, build quality).

Thanks everyone - case closed :cool:
    Kenji

10. Craig12

Craig12 Pen Pal - Newbie

Unfortunately PC world make you buy norton anti-virus with it which pushes the cost up to around £730. That is about £170 more expensive than my initial order which I placed with HP a month ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.