Past "high laptop performance" users: how does the transition process feels like?

Discussion in 'Lenovo (IBM)' started by Brian, Jan 31, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. t0ni

t0ni Pen Pal - Newbie

Hey all,

This is my first post :eek: .. I'm thinking of purchasing an x41t for the purpose of portability and battery performance. However, my past few laptop/pc purchases i've been very picky in choosing the best performance specs.

I currently own a Samsung x50 and here are the specs:
    Centrino 1.73Ghz
    1GB Ram
    7200rpm 80GB harddrive
    ATI Radeon x600 gfx card w/ 128mb video memory
    15.4 WGA Widescreen
    built in 4x DVD burner
    weight: approx 5.3 lbs (2.4kg)
    battery life: 2 hours

I've read many x41 reviews, and I know my laptop is a monster compared to the speed and performance of the tablet. I'm a university student and uses my laptop everyday taking notes, using alot of excel, etc. If I were to purchase the tablet I would have to give up my Samsung.

For users who moved from power to portable laptops: how have you "adapt" to the slower machine? Do you regret having longer loading time for the lighter weight?

I am very indecisive and confused, and it would be great if you guys can shed some light on this!! Thanks!

2. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I really don't think you'll feel that much of a difference aside from booting or loaidng programs. Well, and gaming, but you know you're going to have to give that up with this machine, high end gaming at least. I've been on an ultra portable for 3 years and don't have any regrets.

3. t0ni

t0ni Pen Pal - Newbie

Thanks for your reply Brian!

I was wondering if you use alot of memory intensive programs like photoshop, flash, excel? I wasn't too sure if the low voltage CPUs in a tablet can handle it.

4. Daring

Daring Moderator

Processor wise you should be fine. Get 1G of memory or more and you should be fine. Neither Excel or Flash are all that demanding. Photoshop on the other hand is a pig. Not from a processor standpoint, but it pages EVERYTHING. Having a lot of RAM will help that. If you get 1.5 - 2G of RAM you may be able to turn off the paging entirely.

5. Brian

Brian Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

I run Excel a good deal with no problem and that's on a PM 1.2 with 1GB RAM. I really don't think you'll hate it, but speed is personal.

6. Alex

Alex Pen Pal - Newbie

Brian,

I have a transition related question.

If you run Excel a lot, do you use keyboard mode? I read that Excel is not the most ink friendly program in that it is quite slow/tough to input into cells and do formatting with tablet mode.

If you (or others) could elaborate for someone who has never used a tablet but is going to invest in one and uses Excel quite a bit, it would be much appreciated.

thanks

Alex

7. Barry J. Doyle

Barry J. Doyle Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Alex I will agree that it is easier to input data in Excel with the traditional keyboard. You will find however that working with the pen in your hand to navigate from cell to cell is much better than a mouse! It's all about personal preference, but I have started to use my physical keyboard along with my pen as an outstanding "hybrid" solution.

8. bowlrider

bowlrider Pen Pal - Newbie

coming from a very over weighted 8lb p4 1 gig of ram 5400rmp hdd laptop I have to say.. I was a little dissapointed with the x41s performance.

I did expect some performance issues, and was willing to sacrifice that for a nice light ultra portable. but when I actually started timing things and comparing weight and sizes, I found it really wasn't the best unit for my needs.

For casual and I could even say (almost) typical every day use, I found it acceptable. but after a long night of photoshoping, opening, editing rotating many photos, thats when you will start to wish for more overall power. (this is a night of viewing 80-100 + photos) which is something I do atleast twice a week..

I ended up sending it back due to the performance issues + a system back up issue I had that kept fatally crashing the unit.

also remember, that the battery life with a standard 6 cell battery is estimated maybe around 2 hrs.

in order to recieve the 5+ hrs, you will be going to the 8 cell, which adds about an extra 1/2 lb + about 1.5 inches to the back of the x41 putting the unit at about 4lbs... still nice and light.. but it starts to come really close in weight to other UP's that have a lot more to offer.

the 8 cell battery also makes the unit close to 11" x 11" square. so in a way.. depending on how you look at that, this system starts to become a little larger that some of its competitors.

The hard drive used for the system is really the downfall..

As for timing, It honestly took about 3 minutes from the time I turned the system on, until the unit stopped thinking and was at a useable state.

It really was ashame, becuse I really liked the x41 and hated to return it. But the hard drive really limits the performance, not to mention puts a halt on any types of future upgrades.

I didn't mean this to be a review... but if you think performance is something of importance. I personally started looking into the tc4200...

we will see how that one works out...

9. t0ni

t0ni Pen Pal - Newbie

thanks again for your replies guys!

so the low rpm reallt does slow things down in terms of booting up. If having more RAM only boosts performance WHILE using the app, what other things can the upgraded RAM not help?

10. Alex

Alex Pen Pal - Newbie

Barry - that sounds like a great idea.

Thanks much

Alex

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.