Password protection of file in Vista

Discussion in 'Software' started by mij, Feb 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mij

mij SAM

Hi,

I had many files protected with a password on my old computer running on XP. With XP, to access to do that, I used to right-click on a file, click on "Send to" command, click on "Compressed file" command, open that compressed file, click on the "File" menu and finally, click on "Add a password" command.

But, I transfered the files on my new tablet PC running now Vista. I was badly surprised than there is no more command to protect files with password in Vista... or I missed something? And if not, is there other way to protect files with Vista or free softwares? :confused:

Thanks!

2. tomtheweirdguy

tomtheweirdguy Pen Pal - Newbie

Are you trying to keep a thief out? Vista can encrypt the files so that only your login credentials can access the files, making them useless to someone if they steal your drive or your entire tablet. If you are looking to create a password-protected zip archive, I don't believe Vista is capable of this (anyone who knows how to do it is more than welcome to contradict this comment). You could use a program like WinRAR to protect the archive, and I think Vista can read it afterward (it will request the password).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.