passive

Discussion in 'What Tablet PC Should I Buy?' started by Shogmaster, Dec 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kilasnpr

kilasnpr Scribbler - Standard Member

would passive screen laptop be okay if im just goin to use it for occasional equations and math problems?

2. tomtheweirdguy

tomtheweirdguy Pen Pal - Newbie

Passive means it is a a "touch screen", by which I mean it responds to the touch of something like your finger. Active digitizers allow you to use a stylus to actually write things, which is probably what you should use for equations and mathematics. Trying to write on a passive digitizer would be quite difficult I imagine, although I've only ever used the crappy ones in point-of-sale systems. Your mileage may vary, but as a happy owner of the Gateway C-140X, I strongly suggest an active digitizer.

3. enzoshadow

enzoshadow Pen Pal - Newbie

4. nikecar

nikecar Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

night and day.

5. kureshii

kureshii Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Looks like Microsoft Equation Writer, which should be in a Powertoy or something.

Still seems horrible - the tapping sounds were freakily loud, which is consistent with my observations from retail displays - passive screens seem to require much pressure to sense, even with sensitivity turned all the way up.

Also, notice how the ink looks in Journal - the ink thickness is consistent, because there's no pressure sensitivity. Try asking him to do this (note how the line tapers off) on the TX - I bet he can't. An active digitiser with pressure sensitivity can make ink look better on screen than it does on paper.

Pressure sensitivity doesn't seem to make a difference in Vista's ink recognition accuracy though, so in terms of translation accuracy it doesn't really offer much advantage. But if you keep all your stuff in ink form (like me) and want it looking nice, I say go for a tablet PC with active digitiser.

If you're on a budget and just want to use it to translate some equations, then a passive screen tablet is fine, though I'd personally rather use TeX or some other non-handwriting-based input method.

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  6. kilasnpr

kilasnpr Scribbler - Standard Member

well im looking for something small with optical drive and that can at least write math equations and as of now the only thing in my price range(1500) would be the tx1000z series

7. quantum

quantum Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

or the gateway c120x or some of the toshiba lineup or used tablets or a lenovo x60 (maybe)

8. Benjamin Chin

Benjamin Chin Pen Pal - Newbie

Correct me if I'm wrong, you are the one who after some rounds of search on the Fujitsu T4220, went for the Toshiba R400 (reconditioned), later mentioned in the Toshiba Forum that the R400 is a good tablet.

You praised the R400 in your posting :

http://forum.tabletpcreview.com/showthread.php?t=11963

So, why the thought of a passive tablet when you are so happy about your R400 ?

9. Shogmaster

Shogmaster Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The biggest problem with passive digitizer for comfortable writing is vectoring from parts of your hand resting on the screen. IIRC, HP's TX series don't have palm rejection that was effective enough and I had vectoring of INK pretty easily if I rested my palm on that screen (which is too large not to rest your hand if you want to write for an extended period).

If you don't mind having to hover your hand over the screen the whole time you are writing, passive would be serviceable.

BTW, even if your passive digitizer has palm rejection strong enough, then you have to press much harder on the screen to write. Either way, writing on a passive digitizer LCD is far from effortless. And that's what writing with an active digitizer over passive gives you effortless INKing. Once you experience it, you don't want to go back to passive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.