Partition Question- Please help me

Discussion in 'Software' started by Daring, Oct 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gitar

gitar Pen Pal - Newbie

I have a 100GB hard drive. I am only using 11 GB of it right now. Can I use partition magic to make a seperate partition to do a dual boot of Vista on, And also another partition to do a Norton Ghost backup of my current hard drive. I know it would be better to put it on a seperate hard drive, I just lack the space to do that right now.

1. How big should I make the Vista Partition??

2. Are there any disadvantages to backing up the hard drive image to the same physical hard drive (different partition) besides the possibility of the hard drive failing?

3. If I have a total of 11 GB used right now, I wouldn't need to make the "Backup Partition" any bigger than that, correct?

Thanks for your help.

2. SimsHsia

SimsHsia "I will do science to it" Senior Member

Hi gitar,

You can use PartitionMagic or other partioning software to set the size of a new partition.

1.) At least 15 GB for the partition is a good size if you are testing Vista.
    2.) The one disadvantage I will note is performance. The read/write heads of the hard drive has to go from one partition to the other, so it will generally slower than having, say, two hard drives; one being the primary hard drive, the other the back up.
    3.) If your 11 GB partition were to grow, for example: you install another program, etc., then it would be safe double that size or times it 1.5. Confused? Let me show you:

11 GB x 2 = 22 GB
    11 GB x 1.5 = 16.5 GB

Of course, if you are planning to put all other files on to another partition, then yes, you do not need to make a partition any bigger than 11 GB. :)

3. afinemetsfan

afinemetsfan Pen Pal - Newbie

As a warning - I have never had any luck using partition magic on a drive with existing information, it always messes up the MBR, and I am left with no choice but to format. Make sure you backup everything that might be important, because there is a good chance you won't see it again after using PM.

4. P8RSON

P8RSON Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Using Partition Magic, I have never had any issues patitioning a hard drive with information already on.
    Just be aware of what SimsHsia mentions....

... and afinemetsfan, did you make the size of the other partion large enough?

5. terencec

terencec Pen Pal - Newbie

I used PM 8.01 I think that is the latest version (even though it was released a few years ago). Never have a problem at all. It works very well. My T4210 was partitioned by PM without any problem.

6. Daring

Daring Moderator

Unless you have already done this I would forego backing up to your local drive and I would use something else for partitioning. If you back up to your local drive and the local drive dies, you are out of luck. You can get cheap external portable drives (run off USB power, slickdeals.net has one at staples for $30 for a 40G drive. Check Oct 22 (for some reason the link doesn't work right now)). I use two so I always have one offsite.

I tried using partionmagic and it trashed all my data. Fortunately I had backed up (unsolicited plug for Acronis True Image, IMHO the best backup software available. Currently does not run under Vista, but you can boot off of their disk and do a backup of any partition and I am told a vista version is forthcoming). If you have any Linux knowledge or are a little brave, download the Knoppix CD and use QTParted. It is very easy to use and handled the partitioning great.

As for Vista, if you have that much free space give it some leg room. Vista Ultimate is what the RC gives you. The OS alone will chew up about 7G. Add a swap file (usually around 1.5G) and a hibernation file (same size as your physical memory (1-2G) and you have 10-12G used just to get started. Vista will also just thrash with that little HD. I'd recommend 40G (MS Recommended Min), less if you don't want to install any apps.