Panos Promoted

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Aug 26, 2021.

1. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

Seriously? That's gone as well? This Win11 thing sounds worse and worse.

2. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

The left edge swipe goes to Widgets. To get task view you can tap the icon on the taskbar, or do a 3 or 4 finger swipe up. So you need to use your other hand to do it instead of just holding it by the edge.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2021
  3. sonichedgehog360

sonichedgehog360 AKA Hifihedgehog Senior Member

It's super effective. Surface Neo confirmed. :cool:

4. sonichedgehog360

That might actually be a good thing--looser grip on the chain.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  5. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

it assumes there is someone there in a position of authority to drive forward. Press “X” for doubt.

6. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

If Windows isn't a good tablet OS (it's fine, just not great), then Android is an absolutely terrible desktop/laptop OS. ChromeOS too.

So little customisability. So much wasted space. So much crud from the touch-centred part of the UI. Icons that have mysterious meanings (okay, I'm exaggerating a little). So little flexibility. And that's not getting into the lack of a good legacy catalogue of programs.

I've mentioned this before; I tried using just Dex (the best Android desktop experience currently available) for a couple of months. I got used to it and could do quite a lot of what I needed and wanted to do. But switching back to a desktop OS was just... amazing.

7. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

My "disappointment" with Microsoft lies in the fact that they've never attempted to issue a tablet or Surface OS (in the same sense that Apple has iPadOS). Instead, we've always had to live with some version of Windows where the tablet functionality has always been an afterthought. Even Win 8.1's functionality was an afterthought... just less so.

Of course, I understand the economics of product development and the effects of market share. Apple has much more motivation to finance and maintain separate tablet and laptop / desktop OS versions. But I wonder to what extent Microsoft's "one OS for them all" has actually created a self-imposed barrier to greater tablet market share? That is, consumers generally don't like Microsoft's tablet UX (and NEVER WILL under Microsoft's current Windows approach), and by comparison Apple's iPadOS is so much better that consumers are willing to "forgive" its shortcomings?

I actually think that, if Surface is to ever be more than just marginally successful, Microsoft needs to provide its own tailored OS...

8. sonichedgehog360

You hit the nail on the head! I think it is their tendency to this all-or-nothing, overcompensating mindset that has made Microsoft’s OS journey so tempestuous and is just them plain tripping over themselves. They once did have a tablet-tailored OS called Windows 8 but instead of having it happily coexist with Windows 7’s desktop interface, they made it their mission to force feed a tablet OS to every PC user on the planet. Whatever happened to if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it? No, let’s instead try forcing a square peg into a world of mostly round holes. Windows 10 course-corrected this nonsense but it dialed it back too much in the other direction from tablet to desktop usage to the detriment of the advances that Windows 8 brought to tablet usage, making tablet mode an afterthought at best.

Now we have Windows 11 which looks like it may be targeting a portrait orientation for tablets but now they have inexplicably (1) removed tile-based pinning of apps and (2) removed organizing pinned apps into folders, features users came to value in Windows 8 and/or 10. And for what? To now be years behind their competitors Android and iPadOS/iOS whose UIs have been offering these features for years? Honestly, nuance has always been a hard concept for Microsoft to wrap their heads around as an OS maker. And that is what makes people so hesitant to move to Windows 11 with the vivid memories lurking in everyone’s subconsciousness of 8, Vista, and ME. I certainly will not be in a rush to hurry to Windows 11 but will be playing a very cautious wait-and-see approach especially since Android app support is already announced as MIA at launch.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2021
    desertlap, dellaster and Steve S like this.
  9. sonichedgehog360

I guess the only positive side to this is that a person cannot blame an owner for the mad dog that—hypothetically speaking—has bitten them because there is no longer a owner so it has gone feral, if that were even to happen. Thing is, I think the Surface Team has become the total opposite and is too domesticated and too dependent on being ordered around by corporate then being a fountain of creativity. Because of that stagnation and lack of drive, Surface Team would eventually die without leadership pushing them to meet their annual quota of a predictable, cuddly and safe hardware release. The danger for them now is the PC makers are just one iteration away from passing them up and all the PC makers need is to add higher resolution displays to their tablets to make the Surface a redundant sideshow. Meanwhile, more and more of that Surface competition in the market has had Thunderbolt and is more reparable/modular which makes them more appealing. Maybe someday Surface will once more offer bold flavor to the tablet market but I am not expecting much out of them other than another yawn fest just as the Windows 11 announcement mostly was to me.

dstrauss likes this.