Panos Promoted

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Aug 26, 2021.

1. dellaster

dellaster “Content Consuming Child” Senior Member

Really? Tablet use is as good now as with Win8.1? Surprising. :eek:

2. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

If you guage tablet use solely by fixed grids of pretty icons and large touch targets (and a sprinkling of so called widgets), Windows is lacking. But if you take the entire interface of combining touch and mouse usage, it's pretty D good.

DRTigerlilly likes this.
  3. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

Yea. I was never a fan of 8.1. What made it functional was the use of flicks. I recall having my old Asus Viva Note 8 set up perfectly with defined flicks that let me do mostly everything without hunting for the start menu. It also helped to adjust the size of the touch areas. But I have gravitated to using my main programs on the taskbar with an occasional program accessed on the start menu. I am small, have small fingers and use my tablets at 150x. That could have something to do with it.

4. dellaster

I see. For me, if it doesn't allow swiping, long press, etc (like my phone) it's not tablet friendly. Might as well be Linux.

5. dstrauss

Let's ll just go back to XP and call it a day...

6. dellaster

I liked XP. Nostalgia. But going forward I'll likely use Android and drop Windows in all its variations once the Steam Deck arrives. Nearly all I ever use Windows for nowadays is Windows games, so if Steam gets them all working good enough with SteamOS (Arch Linux based) I'll be perfectly fine using its Linux desktop for any large screen & keyboard/mouse stuff I might want to do. (With dock & monitor.) I'll let my Go2 age out, sell my Yoga, and never look back.

Bronsky and dstrauss like this.
  7. dstrauss

Unfortunately I am a prisoner of Office 365, and it is at its best (or at least in the muscle memory of this old guy) under Windows, so until I finally retire I'll have a full power Windows 2-in-1 at my side at all times. It's like those old timers who preferred the Winchester over the Colt but carried both...

You know, that's not very far off as analogies go to laptops and tablets...guess that makes your phone today a derringer?

Bronsky and dellaster like this.
  8. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I'm in the same boat. Android won't cut it. I am too dependent on legacy software and I'm too old a dog to learn new tricks. The Go2 will likely, however, become more of an office/briefcase device to be transported only when a full blown windows machine is needed at a remote location. I am, however, loving the LTE and wonder how I ever survived without it before. It is just so damn convenient.

dstrauss likes this.
  9. JoeS

JoeS I'm all ears Senior Member

What I loved about it was the left edge swipe gesture to flip through apps. Really convenient to switch between a reference text and another open document. Also really easy to distractedly flip back thee 'pages' to check the mail app, and flip back to the open document. It was all very low friction and magazine-y.

jhoff80, Marty and dellaster like this.
  10. jhoff80

jhoff80 Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

And now you can't even get task view with that left edge swipe. :rolleyes:

Bishop likes this.