Panos Promoted

Discussion in 'Microsoft' started by Steve S, Aug 26, 2021.

1. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

Wasn't he being courted by Apple just before being put in charge of the whole "Windows Experience" thing? (According to Mary Jo Foley on Windows Weekly last year)

sonichedgehog360 and Bishop like this.
  2. Steve S

Steve S Pen Pro - Senior Member Super Moderator

<<...it could mean greater influence to facilitate some long overdue innovation in the Surface Line...>>

Hopefully, this. But @Bishop makes some good points; I've seen the same thing at my company when someone ascends to the senior ranks...

Bishop likes this.
  3. Bishop

Bishop Keeper of Odd Knowledge Senior Member

Temporally accurate, if disconcerting.

4. Marty

Marty Pen Pro - Senior Member Senior Member

Guys, this is ridiculous. Panos is the whole reason there still is a Surface line to complain about!

Through all those failures that you mentioned, you can bet your ass Panos was the main guy at the table convincing management to keep hardware alive, amidst all the 'cloud first' mentality.

And also disagree about the Neo. Lakefield proved to be a disaster; assuming they delayed the Neo to coincide with Q4 2021 launch of Alder Lake, that makes perfect sense for a product that is supposed to represent the future of computing.

The Achilles heel of Surface has always been the software. You guys should be rejoicing now that Surface at least has a shot at proper software integration with the full force of MS behind it.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
    dstrauss and Eltos like this.
  5. Bishop

Disclaimer: I've never worked at Microsoft, so I'm not speaking from firsthand knowledge.

You're right about the lack of software integration. We've been watching M$ struggle there since the first Tablet PCs - almost 20 years now. They have improved, but it is not where the bulk of their revenue WILL BE coming from.

What none of us know is what deals/decisions have already been made with respect to Windows as a cloud service - which could portend a hardware independent future for M$. Anyway you cut it, consumer PC hardware is a narrow margin business that consumes a *LOT* of capital, R&D, marketing dollars and management attention.

It comes back to the culture. Much as I distrust Google, they have a far more venture capital mindset - throw capital at several things, fail fast, move forward with the best returns. M$ missed the web/mobile horizon because Ballmer had absolute control and prioritized the Windows on PC desktop revenue, which descended from Gates vision to take the future of PCs away from IBM and relegate Jobs to the "shiny toys" market.

*IF* Nadella has that kind of control and has convinced the board that it is in the best interests of the shareholders to bet the company on a "Windows service in the cloud" future, no one of his "advisers" is likely to change that course. The "Windows Experience" focus will be on the cloud. The risk is the hardware division would eventually become to M$ what the appendix is to the human body. The upside is, we might be able to run Windows on anything we pick up.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
    dstrauss likes this.
  6. b52hbuff

b52hbuff Scribbler - Standard Member

I have been a Surface user since the Surface Pro 2. In my mind, the promise wasn't "proper software integration", it was a tablet form factor that had the capability to run desktop software.

Since the Surface, we had to endure:
    Windows 8, which wasn't that bad for tablet users, but since I used Surface Pro as my desktop, I never worried about the Tablet/Windows mode. Clearly I was in the minority, and MS pivoted to...

Windows 10. As tablet users, we saw them remove tablet mode and other gestures and work flows that worked well in Win 8. Eventually, some of those came back.

Windows App Store / UMP - We saw Win32 apps left behind while MS developed watered down versions of UMP and iOS apps. They looked great, but were missing desktop features that Surface line could actually support.

Anyway... I don't want some great new software base for my Surface. I want it to run desktop apps, with all of the desktop features and store those files locally if I so choose. I don't want everything to be a web based UMP...

DRTigerlilly, Tams, dstrauss and 2 others like this.
  7. dstrauss

dstrauss Comic Relief Senior Member

:thumbsup::thumbsup:

8. Bishop

Believe me, I'm with you and @dstrauss. Bottom line is, if M$ moves the current corporate PC market to browser thin clients running Windows in the cloud (meaning cheaper hardware and smaller internal IT staffing), we'll be the dinosaurs.

DRTigerlilly and dstrauss like this.
  9. Tams

Tams Scribbler - Standard Member Senior Member

Eh, the Windows tablet experience has almost always had some holes, but enough developers have kept at it or entered the space for it to be good and Windows has never been a bad tablet OS.

The at times utter lack of any real change with the Surface tablets on the other hand... Part of that was down to the 'it's a reference design for OEMs', but still.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
  10. Bronsky

Bronsky Wait and Hope. Senior Member

I have never understood those who paint Windows as a disfunctional tablet OS. I have used it on tablets since my old X201t and don't have a problem. I have used a tablet as my daily driver since the Slate 500 and have had no problem navigating Windows when operating undocked.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
    Tams, JoeS and dstrauss like this.